Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Those of you who own the game and have played it a bunch--not for purposes of review--can you talk about whether or not it seems replayable and why or why not? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the replayability is huge if you are planning on getting the core and stopping there, but it's probably fun enough to try to beat it with every investigator and every investigator pair (10 total combinations and you can expect each to last a few hours total for the campaign)

After some expansions, it will be much better. Not only in that we will have new adventures to play, but also that we will have new investigators and more variety of cards to play the previous adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through the whole campaign solo four times, and am still thinking about the game and anticipating making a few more runs. I haven't tried hard difficulty yet, so that is also pushing me to play more.

Additionally, I've played through the full campaign twice with others. If someone else in my game group wanted to play it, I'd be all in for another go at the base campaign.

Sure, I know all of the story beats at this point, and I have some best strategies to follow for each scenario, although these change based on my character. But the gameplay is fun enough, and challenging enough, to make the game consistently enjoyable despite my familiarity with the campaign.

I already have Dunwich Legacy and the POD werewolf expansion on order, so I don't expect to be bored with the game any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
It depends on your reasons for playing. If you want a story that you uncover, and are surprised by (say how one might play an RPG module, or a Legacy game), then it's a little replayable. There are some forks in the campaign, but not that many. Each new campaign will only offer another playthrough or two.

If on the other hand you want to play with mechanics and make different things work, you could easily get a half dozen runs of the campaign just with the core set, and it will increase exponentially with card pool increases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I'm enjoying the game more and more. I love the narrative aspect, but I get more out of the general projection of the themes and the abstraction of said themes onto the cards than virgin discovery of the story. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoy finding out what'll happen in the campaign, I just don't find that my impetus to replay is diminished by knowing the various outcomes that can take place in the tale -- quite the opposite. I'm far more engaged now in my moment to moment interactions than I was at first. I know the general contents of the encounter decks, I can apply overall strategies to the opening of any given scenario and mulligan for them, adjust as necessary, etc.

It's a mechanically sound game. For the most part you can take any old snapshot of a boardstate, show it to me, and I'll greedily take it all in and consider what an optimal investgation phase might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
As those above have posted, the ooh-ahhh moments are a one and done. Once you've played through the three scenario campaign included in the Core box, there will not be any more of those moments. But...

I believe this game offers much more replayability than titles such as Pandemic Legacy and T.I.M.E Stories. I have very little desire to run through those titles again, but I've enjoyed attacking the Core campaign with different player counts and different investigators.

This will only expand as content expands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally agreement the surprises are largely gone after 1 or two play through's, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the game. The different characters off a different feel to the game and strategies. With one set there are limited deck building options but you can always change the difficulty and/or play with pre-loaded experienced investigators.

Yes the story is a very interesting part of the game but even removed the game play is very solid and creates for lots of tough decisions. Mechanically it's solid and that's the reason that keeps me thinking of the game and wanting to play it over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I think even within the Core set there is a reasonable amount of replayability, but it seems the regular cycles will be much better in that respect.

I've played through the Core campaign twice, and while I would be happy to run through it again, I don't think it will be as exciting. Even with 2 Cores, the deckbuilding is pretty limited, and with only 3 scenarios your characters don't have a lot of opportunities to evolve. If you do reasonably well on the first two scenarios, you pretty much will have enough experience to get whatever upgrade cards you want, at least from your primary class, and there just aren't many options from the off class. I think the game has enough interesting decisions that it is still fun to play through, but it definitely loses it's RPG-lite feel and has much more puzzly feeling, especially if you can remember what all the locations do, what happens when the agenda/act advances, and what cards can come up in the encounter deck.

Over the course of an 8 scenario cycle though, and with the slew of new player cards, I suspect that you could play through that campaign multiple times with the same character + deck and have much different experiences depending on what upgrades you chose and what traumas and new weaknesses you pick up along such a lengthy campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
It depends on your reasons for playing. If you want a story that you uncover, and are surprised by (say how one might play an RPG module, or a Legacy game), then it's a little replayable. There are some forks in the campaign, but not that many. Each new campaign will only offer another playthrough or two.

If on the other hand you want to play with mechanics and make different things work, you could easily get a half dozen runs of the campaign just with the core set, and it will increase exponentially with card pool increases.

Very good answer, but I would supplement with whynotboth?.gif

First time I played through I really relished in the story, and that was a special (and fairly long experience). What I like about my subsequent playthroughs is that I can actually up the difficulty (since I have a better idea of strategy) and play much quicker, and it becomes a really solid pure card game. I've been playing with 2 and 3 players and find it quite replayable, especially if you up to Hard on follow-up playthroughs, and experiment with different combos. For example, I'm going to start a Skids & Wendy playthrough just because my other three investigators happen to be tied up in a 3p playthrough with my game group. Ideal combo? Not exactly. But it's brought a whole new challenge to the deckbuilding and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was skeptical as well but the game is very replayable.

This game has an incredible narrative. My first play was orgasmic (can I say that on BGG?). I was excited that a card game could combine story elements and be so enriching. All that emotion and I was thinking the game would suck on multiple plays.

However it's very challenging. There are many - many - decision points making for a sort of endless puzzle. I say that and I haven't talked about the Chaos bag of Horror (failure).

In summary even if the game had a poor narrative it would be great. That it has en epic narrative is just mind blowing. This is the top game of 2016 (Sorry A Feast for Odin)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#Astrolad
Is spot on. Why not both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's massively replayable. The combinations of cards and investigators give you a slightly difderent experience every time.

The quick setup and play time usually mean that when you lose, you always want to have "just one more go".

If you are worrying about the narrative then don't. The narrative does a great job of making it feel like you are trying to achieve something, thematically, but once you know the story then subsequent plays just mean you focus on the gameplay more, rather than trying to uncover the next part of the story.

This game is only going to get more and more replayable with future expansions. You'll be able to have new characters visit old scenarios. Also, presumably future scenarios will add monsters etc. to the sets used in the base, encoraging you to try it again with extra ghouls or striking fear cards etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played into the low teens at least; over about 3 weeks. not board and not played every character yet. 1 core. (2 characters still to try) but need a brake will go back .. same at lotr lcg a few nights maybe a week intensive play (1 or 2 a night then a brake. when more cycles come out its still go to revist the old ) i envision the same will be true here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:

This game is only going to get more and more replayable with future expansions. You'll be able to have new characters visit old scenarios. Also, presumably future scenarios will add monsters etc. to the sets used in the base, encoraging you to try it again with extra ghouls or striking fear cards etc.

i doubt this will happen going back to play with new player cards and new investigators yes.. but not new monsters to existing missions at least lotr lcg never did that..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the first two scenarios a few times and I'd be willing to play it more. I think the game lends itself to replaying scenarios, although mostly with trying different characters and deck-builds.

My main worry, however, is if scenarios will be interesting to play outside of a campaign. My guess is no, that the game doesn't lend itself to picking up one scenario and playing that for a little bit.

I do think, however, that a campaign will be fine playing it quite a few times just like any other game and is not relying completely on expansions for another play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:

My main worry, however, is if scenarios will be interesting to play outside of a campaign. My guess is no, that the game doesn't lend itself to picking up one scenario and playing that for a little bit.

There is probably good potential for POD adventures to function well enough as a standalone.
I don't know how well Curse of the Rougarou works (don't have it yet) but it seems like it should work since it wouldn't be dependent on campaign decisions and probably doesn't offer outcomes that are so ambiguous in terms of win/loss (like the 2nd adventure in core which basically grades you on a spectrum)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:

i doubt this will happen going back to play with new player cards and new investigators yes.. but not new monsters to existing missions at least lotr lcg never did that..

Interesting. But surely some of the new scenarios, of which there wil be many, will also feature ghouls? Wouldn't they just use the same ghoul set again, with maybe a few cards added?

Or what about the Agents of Cthulhu set? It only has four cards ATM.

If they don't re-use/expand sets, then won't we end up with four billion tiny sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:
Milarky wrote:
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:

Interesting. But surely some of the new scenarios, of which there wil be many, will also feature ghouls? Wouldn't they just use the same ghoul set again, with maybe a few cards added?

Or what about the Agents of Cthulhu set? It only has four cards ATM.

If they don't re-use/expand sets, then won't we end up with four billion tiny sets?

The Ghoul deck and Agents of Cthulhu deck are useful as is. Other campaigns may call to use them, but don't need to add cards to those sets. There could just a "nightmarish ghouls" set or "Cultists of Cthulhu" set that are very similar and effectively add cards, but have a different set icon. Of course if that were to happen you could just take cards like that and play the older scenarios using them. Also, if we do get Nightmare Packs, like LotR had, this might be exactly what we see. A set of harder ghouls to replace/supplement the current ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings introduced re-usable encounter sets in core and deluxe expansions (sometimes a deluxe would introduce an encounter set that wasn't even used in that expansion's quests!).

The cycle packs only included encounter cards that were specific to that adventure and supplemented with encounter sets from core or the corresponding deluxe.

We can probably expect the same. If a later adventure uses ghouls, it will simply incorporate the ghouls set from core. If that isn't enough, there will be more ghouls in the adventure-specific cards.

If an entire campaign involves a lot of ghouls, there could be a supplemental ghouls encounter set in the corresponding deluxe.

But it's not likely that the cycle packs will have encounter sets that are meant to be re-used, as that creates interdependency between them (although given the campaign focus of this vs Lord of the Rings, it wouldn't be the end of the world if an adventure required encounter cards from a previous adventure in the same cycle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
In Lord of the Ring tcg (which is our best point of reference), the core set encounter cards were used for the first cycle of expansions. However the expansions for that game started with 6 adventure packs, ie. the smaller expansion type, which was followed by a deluxe expansion and then 6 adventure packs for that and so on. The quests, which equate the Arkham Horror scenarios, have only used encounter set from that cycle, so the re-use of the core set encounter cards is fairly limited. Also no expansion has added cards back to previous quests. I would imagine that AH will follow those lines, but we will see, won't we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Well i can only say about how much ive played it and how much i am planning to play it.

So far i have
1 finished 4 player campaign
3 finished 2 player campaign
5 finished 1 player campaign
2 4 player campaigns in progress
2 3 player campaigns in progress
1 2 player campaign in progress
1 1 player campaign in progress

I have so far completed the campaign on standard with only Agnes (completed for me is to get the best resolution of the campaign) trying to strategize for better decks with other investigators.

Once i have completed the core campaign on standard with each investigator, i will ramp up and have a go at hard.

Oh and btw. i have only played Curse of the Rougarou once so far, and that seems like the mission with the most replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
Generally agreement the surprises are largely gone after 1 or two play through's, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the game. The different characters off a different feel to the game and strategies. With one set there are limited deck building options but you can always change the difficulty and/or play with pre-loaded experienced investigators.

I'm curious about the quality of these surprises. The bit I highlighted can be said of Lord of the Rings too, but those surprises and narrative twists were pretty tangental to the heart of the experience (opposed to, for example, T.I.M.E Stories where those elements supersede the allure from the mechanical interactions of play).

No details, naturally, but were there twists and turns that prompted oohs and ahhs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't finished so we will see, but so far the surprises are definitely clever and I look forward to seeing what happens that I haven't seen, but it's not like TIME Stories at all. There is still a card game underneath it and while knowing what actions may have lingering effects will color future plays they become a strategic decision instead of a thematic one.

I have seen nothing like TIME Stories where the solution is to go LEFT UP RIGHT and if you don't you can't win. Rather they are akin to going to the fire cave if you go left or the swamp cave to the right and knowing what pros and cons those each have and being able to make that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.