$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Bloody crossroads: Gettysburg day 1 or? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi, Im totally not familiar with american civil war, but already have some literature to study the events. Im thinking About preorder of Bloody crossroads And would like to ask if it is a good choice And if u wont recommend me rather different game. I want a fun game, easy to learn but not to be bored of it in few days, should have wide variety of scenarios nd even Iv mentioned easy rules...I cd learn So rather harder but enough complex
Thanx in advance
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On day 1, the Confederates are attacking in force, while the Union tries to hold ground and retreat. By day 2, it's a more typical battle, as reinforcements have arrived.

EDIT: You mention you want a range of scenarios. With grand-tactical level games, there will only tend to be a few. For a Gettysburg grand-tactical game, there will typically be scenarios for days 1, 2, and 3, a 3-day scenario, and maybe a "what if" alternate scenario. Try to find a game series so that you can fight battles with similar rules.

For a simple Gettysburg game, you might try the Avalon Hill Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition) (or older editions). If you can find it, I like the Italian game Yankees & Rebels, which has a Gettysburg scenario and a few other battles. Another choice is the block game Gettysburg: Badges of Courage; a Shiloh: April 1862 game is available as well.

Other choices:

There is Wars of the States and Empires which is similar to the Eagles Of The Empire Napoleonic rules, though the Civil War only covers the battles of Gettysburg, Chattanooga, and Chickamauga.

The Civil War, Brigade (CWB) Series series has a large number of battles available.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MapleMatt wrote:
Hi, Im totally not familiar with american civil war, but already have some literature to study the events. Im thinking About preorder of Bloody crossroads And would like to ask if it is a good choice And if u wont recommend me rather different game. I want a fun game, easy to learn but not to be bored of it in few days, should have wide variety of scenarios nd even Iv mentioned easy rules...I cd learn So rather harder but enough complex
Thanx in advance


I'd recommend Last Chance for Victory. While this is a large game, there's a LOT of scenarios and the rules and play really capture the battle well.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/58/CategoryID/25/Pro...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think you would learn more about the American civil war from a strategy level game rather than a single battle game.

Something like A House Divided or The Price of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe that Bloody Crossroads: Gettysburg Day 1 has been on 'preorder' for quite some time and it has been questioned if it will ever be available. Even if is ever completed, it doesn't look like it will be any time soon.

I agree with the recommendation for A House Divided. A good game and easily available for a reasonable price. If you want more complexity, I would highly recommend VG's The Civil War or GMT's The U.S. Civil War. All are solo friendly. If you like cards, try GMT's For the People.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot depends on what you're looking for out of the game.

For strategic both GMT's The U.S. Civil War & For the People are top class.

If you JUST want a Gettysburg game....

Last Chance for Victory is my favorite, but it's expensive and has a ton of rules, but the series (Line of Battle) is excellent.

Gettysburg: Lee's Greatest Gamble is a magazine game that's on eBay with some fair regularity that's a favorite of Mark Herman's and is pretty excellent.

Roads to Gettysburg is another different take that gives you more of an operational view of things.

A lot really just comes down to your preferences though and folks will definitely chime in with plenty of excellent games I'm sure!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a relatively new series of American Civil War battles entitled the "Blind Swords" system. It's a great, relatively easy rules system for the level of units involved (units are infantry and cavalry regiments and artillery batteries, but there are no facing rules). The two releases so far only have 24 pages of rules each. The entries so far are some of the smaller and lesser known battles of the war. Next up is a game about the Union left flank on July 2nd (day 2 of Gettysburg).

What's more is that the designer and developer of these games make themselves available to support their games, both here and CSW. I really like this system a lot.

Other than that, you can't go wrong with one of the Line of Battle games or its predecessors from the Regimental Sub-series, This Hallowed Ground, This Terrible Sound, A Fearful Slaughter or South Mountain. The Great Battles of the American Civil War is another good series of battles to choose.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDMD wrote:
There's a relatively new series of American Civil War battles entitled the "Blind Swords" system. It's a great, relatively easy rules system for the level of units involved (units are infantry and cavalry regiments and artillery batteries, but there are no facing rules). The two releases so far only have 24 pages of rules each. The entries so far are some of the smaller and lesser known battles of the war. Next up is a game about the Union left flank on July 2nd (day 2 of Gettysburg).

What's more is that the designer and developer of these games make themselves available to support their games, both here and CSW. I really like this system a lot.

Other than that, you can't go wrong with one of the Line of Battle games or its predecessors from the Regimental Sub-series, This Hallowed Ground, This Terrible Sound, A Fearful Slaughter or South Mountain. The Great Battles of the American Civil War is another good series of battles to choose.


Could you give us some titles for the blind swords system?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneoldgamer wrote:


Could you give us some titles for the blind swords system?


Longstreet Attacks: The Second Day at Gettysburg
Stonewall's Sword: The Battle of Cedar Mountain
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clash of Giants: Civil War with Gettysburg and Bull Run scenarios should ship next week (hopefully). Might be worth a look.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Blind Swords" also includes the new Thunder in the Ozarks: The Battle of Pea Ridge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.