Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Fassio
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to attend Kublacon (http://www.kublacon.com) in Burlingame, CA this past weekend and while I was walking through the vendor hall I came upon the Ship of Fools Games (http://www.shipoffoolsgames.com/sofg/) booth. Wonderful replica doubloons from a Spanish galleon strewn were across the table and the rather convincing Cap'n John Morgan, the game's creator and a man born 400 years too late, was enthusiastically explaining the rules and play mechanics to people as they took a few moments to check out this new game. After talking with Cap'n John for a few minutes I was sold. A game that encourages players to be ruthless and cutthroat to win at any cost? Yes please.

Treasure Fleet is a quick and easy 10-15 minute card management game that anyone can literally learn in 2 minutes flat. The premise of the game is that you are a pirate captain on the high seas trying to capture and plunder ships laden with the treasure of the New World. What makes Treasure Fleet so easy to learn is it's simplicity of game play. Everyone has the exact same cards in their hand at the beginning of the game and must select 3 cards per round (or sailing as the game calls it) to be used to capture a field of 4 ships. The winner of a ship is the captain who is able to put the most cannon fire on a ship. If there is a tie or the ship was not fired upon during the round the ship escapes with its treasure. There is also a boarding party card that acts as an "I win no matter what" card... unless another scurvy dog plays their boarding party card on the same ship that is.

This is were Treasure Fleet really shines, scre... err, cleverly managing the cards in your hand to capture ships or prevent other players from capturing theirs. Nothing is quite as satisfying as watching two players duke it out for a 20 point ship only for a third player to drop a boarding party on it and take it from them both or to purposely pick on another player and following them around and trying to prevent them from capturing a ship. Oh the things you can hear when playing this game...

After playing Treasure Fleet about a dozen times I can honestly say that you should definitely pick this game up. It is a great game to play to make friends or enemies, whatever your mood is that day. With optional cards that enhance the already diverse game play as well as expansions planned for the game, it is well worth its' weight in pirate gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.