Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Kingmaker» Forums » Rules

Subject: Avoiding the Plague - can you ever be force to be inside a Town or City? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Nobles will camp "outside" a City or Town space until they know it is safe from the Plague.

1. Are there any events or conditions that would force a Noble to be "inside" a City or Town?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really 'forced'....hiding:

The larger army of another player that could attack you in battle yet not big enough to siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always have played that event cards that call a noble or office call them into the city and thus the player would not be able to move out until their turn. Also, if a faction is under siege and bad weather delays attack is drawn they will have to stay in the city/town until the siege is resolved. That's what comes to mind immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good thing the Plague so strictly abides by the city limits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
good thing the Plague so strictly abides by the city limits

Yea, I've always wanted to try the plague taking out everyone in the "square" and rolling a percentage die for each adjacent "square" but no one has been willing to consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

We almost did this once.
We wanted to allow a die roll for everyone who was in the town, then a 'lesser' roll for the space, and lesser again for the adjacent spaces.

It might be interesting to see what effect it would have if you allowed the plague to persist for a few turns and to spread along roads. This would make it a bit more predictable, but tie up sections of the country for a longer period of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
kingmaker fan wrote:
We always have played that event cards that call a noble or office call them into the city and thus the player would not be able to move out until their turn. Also, if a faction is under siege and bad weather delays attack is drawn they will have to stay in the city/town until the siege is resolved. That's what comes to mind immediately.

Yep, same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

We almost did this once.
We wanted to allow a die roll for everyone who was in the town, then a 'lesser' roll for the space, and lesser again for the adjacent spaces.

It might be interesting to see what effect it would have if you allowed the plague to persist for a few turns and to spread along roads. This would make it a bit more predictable, but tie up sections of the country for a longer period of time.

I like this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Covault
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
We do the same thing. Also we play that if you are going to embark to a ship from a port that is associated with a town or city you must end the previous turn "in that town or city". In other words you cannot embark to a port by "walking around" the town or city.

One other thing: we pickup the discard and reshuffle the entire event card deck after any embassy event occurs. This means that towns and cities that are struck by plague are not then safe from a second strike or even third strike relatively soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
pcovault wrote:

One other thing: we pickup the discard and reshuffle the entire event card deck after any embassy event occurs. This means that towns and cities that are struck by plague are not then safe from a second strike or even third strike relatively soon.

Interesting - would change the nature of the game a bit. Also has the effect of putting all combat results (and deaths) back into the deck, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Covault
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Agreed. The case can be made that this change is must more "realistic". Why should any force or noble feel immune from the threat of death just because that event card already when by tens turns ago? Why should counting cards be relevant for impact the odds of whether or not a battle is won?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Covault
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just FYI here's our collection of "house rules" for Kingmaker. In a nutshell: More and deadlier battles, more sieges, less running away, less "turtling", and 4 hour time-limit game:

http://www.phys.cwru.edu/~covault/kingmaker_houserules.html

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea but we have played some pretty fun games with lots of twists using these rules in more-or-less their current form for a few years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I agree the reshuffle looks like a great idea.

Most of your rules here look pretty good.
I like removing the Constable card, the new siege rules and Storms at Sea.
I'm not sure about this;

Kingmaker House Rules wrote:

7. Heirs must return to Mainland Rule: A Royal Heir may only be taken from the mainland by Ship provided the Heir is debarked onto the mainland before the end of movement phase of that player’s subsequent turn.

So this is just preventing an heir from being made inaccessible due to his/her being on a boat? What constitutes mainland? England, Ireland, the continent?

I'm not so crazy about the mandatory alliance. how does this play out? Why do you like this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sarnecki
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want realism and playability, I can recommend my re-hash of KM, Bella Rosarum, that I've posted here at BGG.
I've incorporated tons and tons of historical research, plus 40+ years of playing everything from Monopoly to Advanced Squad Leader, to try to do some justice to what KM is all about.
(Trust me, once you pick up a decent history book and read about how the WotR actually went down, you'll understand why KM doesn't quite hit the spot. It was quite a shock when I eventually discovered how far off KM is in many ways.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Covault
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I assume you are talking about the alliance rule for defending towns/cities?

"Mandatory" simply in the sense that if a player allows another player to put their troops into a city, in exchange those troops are now "obligated" to defend the town/city as long as they stay there if said town/city comes under attack. But both player have to agree in order for the troops to move into the city/town in the first place. So in practice all of the "defensive garrison alliances" are negotiated.

In other words, once you enter the town/city, you "forced" into an alliance with the owner of the town/city for the purposes of defending that town/city (only) as long as you keep those troops parked your troops in that town/city.

Not sure if this addresses your question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Covault
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Sorry "mainland" confusingly mean the main English Island.

The rule is a arrguably brute-force mechanism designed to prevent players from taking heirs out of England where they are comparitively safe from attack. This speeds the game up. Under the original rules, a standard strategy would be to take an heir on a boat and run away.

-Corbin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Covault
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'd say that the alliance rules work pretty well. The key issue is that any troops that might be avaible for an alliance need to (a) already be in the the square where the attack will take place and (b) they cannot have been involved in any battle during that player's previous turn. Such troops are then "available" and can then be thrown into the battle, generally on either side. This leads to some creative (and occasionally desperate) deal making where a player who has the option of joining an alliance on either side is offered various persuasions and enticements to either join once side, join the other, or just sit out the battle. The alliance only applies to the one specific battle.

Part of the fun is when an allegedly "neutral" force "parks" itself near a fortress or at a location where there is a clearly a battle brewing. Then everyone involved in the battle has to fold in the prospects that the "neutral" force may join the fray during the attack on one side or another.

Let me know if that clarifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Covault
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I will say that this "defensive garrison alliance" rule doesn't really get used very often. Under our rules, sieges are layed early and often and it's not easy to persuade other players to put their troops into a town/city that is controlled by another player -- going into towns that you do not own usually presents too many risks.

On occasion, though the rule comes into play. For example if a Noble caught alone in the open with an heir and subject to attack, a deal can be reached so that this Noble can take protection inside a well-defended town/city own by another player.

Another time this comes into play is when someone wants to be in a town for the purposes of embarking on a ship. Sometimes the town comes under siege before they can move the ship. In this case, those troops are stuck defending the town until the siege is broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

That answers my question. Thank you.
Looking at some of your other mods, it seems to me #4 is already a game rule. Crown cards can't be played unless assigned to a Noble.

I wonder if the modified storms at sea wouldn't be enough to chase royal heirs back to shore--or scare them away from sea--if you increased the chances of death, say up to 25 or 33%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.