Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone! I know the topic of solitaire boardgaming has received a lot of attention here on BGG over the years. I've even contributed a few suggestions for folks looking for solo games such as the wonderful Ambush! system.

So here's the thing. I've recently moved. My games are about all in storage. And it appears that, at least for the foreseeable future, I'll be on my own for gaming.

Could someone please direct me to resources, Geeklists, etc. that would get me up to speed with up-to-date recommendations for the best solo games? Genre doesn't really matter. I'd probably prefer things that are actually designed for solo play but I'm open to any and all thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Hi, everyone! I know the topic of solitaire boardgaming has received a lot of attention here on BGG over the years. I've even contributed a few suggestions for folks looking for solo games such as the wonderful Ambush! system.

So here's the thing. I've recently moved. My games are about all in storage. And it appears that, at least for the foreseeable future, I'll be on my own for gaming.

Could someone please direct me to resources, Geeklists, etc. that would get me up to speed with up-to-date recommendations for the best solo games? Genre doesn't really matter. I'd probably prefer things that are actually designed for solo play but I'm open to any and all thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!
This geeklist seems to be exactly what you are looking for: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/175019/solitaire-recommend...

The 1 player guild and this geeklist might also be useful: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/215297/solitaire-games-you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

For starters you can check 2015 top 100 solo games here
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/200265/2015-peoples-choic...?

Come January a new list with the votes for 2016 will appear. That includes all games, not just 2015 or 2016.

Be sure to join the 1 player guild.
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1231871/1-player-guild/gener...

Last but not least, check the heart of the guild through the monthly Solitaire games on your tables geeklist. Check this years October/November lists for instance

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/986303/solitaire-games-your...

I shall not be held responsible for your expenses shall you decide to click in any/all of the links above. You have been warned cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always go with more John H. Butterfield games! Although, the resources the others have provided are excellent if Ambush! is all the Butterfield you need (I couldn't blame you, it's excellent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone! Much appreciated. Will check out the links. And I do appreciate the warning about the expense, but I know it goes with the turf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know if you could provide some more parameters or requirements (cost, game length, amount set up, availability, etc.). Otherwise, some of my picks would include:

Roll Through The Ages: The Iron Age (with or w/o Med. expansion)

Yggdrasil (OOP with or w/o exp.)

Ghost Stories

It turns out, Maquis is a 1p only game

ADDITION: Quintillions has some solitaire games that can be played with the included playmat. Otherwise, you can always just tinker and create 3 structures with it.

Also, let me know if you're willing to do digital board games. Many of them can be played 1p b/c they have solo games implemented, or have AI opponents.

Sorry to hear of your situation. Hopefully it'll turn out to be better. Me, I'm still getting gaming in, although far less then I used to. At least it's more time for me to catch up on my backlog of video games, and pursue other things.

Oh, and also check out the Low Player Count guild....
https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/2223

They cover 1p and 2p games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking over your collection I notice you haven't added any of the GMT COIN series games yet (and that we have a decent amount of overlap in our collections). I find Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection is my favorite blend of elements of the series, but a close second is Fire in the Lake and Falling Sky. I'm chomping at the bit for Pendragon to be released and already preordered it on P500 (post-Roman Britannia covering the anglo and saxon immigration and norseman incursions... yup, I'm in). However, Cuba Libre is probably the best to learn as it is the "half sized" game (half size of all but Falling Sky). They are longer games to play and you either play multiplayer solitaire or use procedural AIs that are provided (and increase the length of the game a bit).

If you like scientific or historical themed games, I enjoy playing Neanderthal, Pax Pamir, and Bios Genesis solo. Bios Megafauna is a game I play multiplayer solitaire like a SimCity series game rather than as a game. Of these, I think Bios Genesis (which just came out) is probably going to be the easiest to find and one of the better solo game experiences. The plus to these games is they all (except the current version of Bios Genesis) is in a small The Grizzled sized box but gives a full board game experience. These aren't for everyone, but if the theme pulls at you then I'd say get them while you can. Also, there are excellent videos for Pax Pamir and Bios Genesis (and Pax Porfiriana) on YouTube - watch them (about 45 min to 1 hour, these aren't light games but they play smooth once you know the rules) and see if they appeal to you.

I've been on a solo kick for a bit also, and as I can tell from your collection that you also know most pure cooperative games work well for solo (Castle Panic, Tiny Epic Defenders, Pandemic, etc). Then there are solo only games like Friday (its a deckbuilder that plays fast and is very portable) and Hostage Negotiator. Finally, many wargames that don't use hidden information are great... I'm looking forward to finally trying out Chandragupta to see some ancient tactical India-region battles during the rise of the Mauryan Empire (tactical Great Battles of History wargame).

I'm getting back into a solo gaming kick again and having a blast. Happy gaming, and fill out some session reports to get feedback or throw videos of them on YouTube to get feedback (since you'll be gaming alone, its a great way to catch mistakes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Also, let me know if you're willing to do digital board games. Many of them can be played 1p b/c they have solo games implemented, or have AI opponents.

Sorry to hear of your situation. Hopefully it'll turn out to be better.

Thanks, all! To clarify a couple of things, I use my iPad for the digital end of things. It's fine up to a point.

I really didn't mean for my post to be a lament about my situation. More of an observation/statement of fact. On the other hand, I do look forward to getting some of my stuff out of storage and (hopefully) do some gaming with actual people before the new year gets TOO old...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually considered playing Ghost Stories solo.

As a video gamer, that is an incredible statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chubber911 wrote:
A good place to start may be looking at co-ops you enjoy. A lot of co-ops can play very well solo, where you just play several roles. For example, I've played a solo game of Eldritch Horror where I used 4 different characters, and had a blast.

Personally, I don't enjoy solo games where I'm just trying to achieve a new high score. I like solos where either I win, or the game wins.

I totally agree with you, Ian. Win/lose games are much more interesting and attractive to me than playing for points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been learning a high score isn't as interesting for me either. Especially where final points are low. Like: "Oh, I got 17 instead of 16...yessss!!"

At the Gates of Loyang is like that. The game is really cool how it plays, but it seems to me that it only has a swing of a handful of points, which for solo just let me down severely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Go back Kingdom Death on KS right meow - you won't regret it. Excellent solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Mage Knight Board Game +
Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion

All you'll ever need trust me. You'll get
Thousands of hours out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game +
Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion

All you'll ever need trust me. You'll get
Thousands of hours out of it.

don't forget

Mage Knight Board Game: Krang Character Expansion
Mage Knight Board Game: Shades of Tezla Expansion

Tezla is almost mandatory IMO. Great scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
conan the slayer
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
mansions of madness 2nd edition is my fav solo game. I prefer it solo than with a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

ftfy (waits for Xbox guy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Breese
msg tools
79strat wrote:

How long is the set-up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chubber911 wrote:

Personally, I don't enjoy solo games where I'm just trying to achieve a new high score. I like solos where either I win, or the game wins.

Here is a game that fits your description perfectly:

Aliens

You play as the colonial marines, all from the movie and the aliens move by automatic rules. If the colonial marines escape, you win, if they do not, then the game is the winner. Plus, if you do find someone to play with, they take some of the marines and you take the rest. Several scenarios are present based from the movie. There is also an expansion to play out the movie. Can you do as well as the movie, or, better, or, worse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cephalopoid wrote:
79strat wrote:

How long is the set-up?

Once you know what you're doing it's about 5 minutes - depends how organized you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To follow up on my last post I have a binder with all my settlement stuff in it so set-up involves me opening the box and the binder and I'm ready to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Fleet Commander: Nimitz you might also want to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.