Subject: I own EVERYTHING. How to begin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a similar question a while back but I'm assuming the answers will change with a few new waves added.

Including today's order I have ordered everything through Wave 7, including every expansion, every character pack, and even the extra dice. Everything. Also, I've never played the game.

How would you recommend starting? It's a daunting task figuring out how and when to implement all of the various items.

On one hand, I don't want to try to put in every single thing all at once, but on the other I don't want to go minimalist. When I'm playing a game for the first time I usually skip the rules and setup for first game and go right to the full version.

I will be reading the rules and teaching it to all new players.

Anything I leave out of my first campaign I'd like to be able to easily integrate into future campaigns. In other words, I'd like to use everything by the time I finish two or three campaigns.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Every expansion have a similar format. I'd say mix in everything EXCEPT:

i.e. don't mix these stuff in for your 1st run campaign

big/small box expansions: map tiles, campaign guide book, command cards, skirmish map sheet, skirmish mission cards, ID tokens & stickers

map tiles & book are for separate campaigns, you don't really need that much stickers, rest are for skirmish stuff

ally/villain packs: command cards, skirmish mission cards

the paper pamphlet you get in figure packs is double sided: one side is a campaign mission, the other side is instruction for skirmish map construction. You'll need this paper

if you really feel that you're overwhelmed by all those extra stuff, you can also leave out agenda cards, side mission cards, reward cards, item cards, supply cards, companions, weaken & hidden conditions, and (maybe but I don't recommend it) rebel & imperial class cards

You can choose any 4 Rebel heroes (you should have 6 core + 2 TS + 3 Hoth + 2 Bespin = 13) with any Imperial class deck (you should have 3 core + 1 TS + 2 Hoth + 1 Bespin = 7)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
I posted a similar question a while back but I'm assuming the answers will change with a few new waves added.

Not really. Start with the core campaign.

You won't get any better experience by including anything else. The campaign doesn't get any grander, and you won't know how to make choices between the options (applies to both imperial and rebel players).

(Note that the side mission deck and agenda deck creation rules limit how much stuff you can include, and the core box has enough to fill a campaign a few times over.)

At most, if you can't get a group together regularly, consider trying the minicampaigns instead, but only include the core and that minicampaign, not everything.

Or just include everything, or to taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group has always purchased the whole lot at once (when we were behind on game). But we have consistently played through the starter and core as a starting point. Experiencing the cards and play as we would have new release. This continues to grow until some new release says "screw it - I have to play with <insert shiny here> then you know it's time to break the chains.

In your case I would recommend the same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to go wrong just starting with core. For my latest group - who hadn't played, I combined big box and small box, i.e. core + Twin Shadows. We'll start Hoth after the holidays and I will likely fold Bespin into that. And Jabba's Realm is On The Boat!

Now, if your group can't meet very often, but can spend a whole day when they do, consider the small box mini-campaigns. Four missions in length, so you can go through a mini-campaign in a single day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Chan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PAINTING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Start with the core campaign.

bill_andel wrote:

Now, if your group can't meet very often, but can spend a whole day when they do, consider the small box mini-campaigns. Four missions in length, so you can go through a mini-campaign in a single day.

If time isn't an issue does anyone believe that one of the mini-campaigns would be better to start with for the sake of learning the game for the first time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation:

Open up the core. For every token that you have a figure pack for, open the figure pack and add it to your pool.

Out of each blister pack you'll find either a side mission (for rebels) or a set of influence cards (for imperial); a set of command cards (for skirmish, so you can set them asside for campaign play); deployment cards; and possibly reward cards.

Side missions and Influence cards go into a pool that rebel players and imperial players choose from at the start of the campaign. Thus, do not shuffle them in, just add them to a general pool for players to choose from.

I'd hold off on the rest till after you get the game down. They don't add complexity, but having too many options can be difficult when you don't have a full understanding of their impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

Another follow-up question.

If we start with just the core campaign with nothing added, is it easy to include everything that exists over the course of the next few campaigns? In other words, will it be hard to pack everything into future campaigns if we don't use pieces of it in the first one?

Thanks again for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
a1bert wrote:

If we start with just the core campaign with nothing added, is it easy to include everything that exists over the course of the next few campaigns? In other words, will it be hard to pack everything into future campaigns if we don't use pieces of it in the first one?

So, all future campaigns are stand alone. No experience or equipment carries over. Think of them as self contained.

So, in future campaigns, there's no problem in slotting things in. Campaigns in progress you probably don't want to fiddle with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
a1bert wrote:

So, all future campaigns are stand alone. No experience or equipment carries over. Think of them as self contained.

So, in future campaigns, there's no problem in slotting things in. Campaigns in progress you probably don't want to fiddle with.

Yes, but aren't there a bunch of unassociated extra characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
rokkon wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
a1bert wrote:

I think the confusion here is between "campaign" vs. "campaign missions"

Each small box and big box comes with a "campaign". Small box (TS, Bespin) comes with 6 and you play a mini-campaign which is 4-mission long, but these 6 missions are side missions in a main campaign. Big box comes with more (30 in Core, 16 in Hoth, unknown for Jabba) and is a full-length campaign and it's between 11-14 missions long

A "campaign mission" is well, the actual mission. It's highly NOT recommended to mix in new stuff once you start a new "campaign" unless all players are cool with it (ex. hey you never brought out those Heavy Stormtroopers before?)

Whenever you start a new campaign (mini-campaign 4-missions or full-campaign 11-14 missions) everything resets: Rebels repick heroes, Imperial repick class cards & reconstruct agenda deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricope wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
rokkon wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
a1bert wrote:

I think the confusion here is between "campaign" vs. "campaign missions"

Each small box and big box comes with a "campaign". Small box (TS, Bespin) comes with 6 and you play a mini-campaign which is 4-mission long, but these 6 missions are side missions in a main campaign. Big box comes with more (30 in Core, 16 in Hoth, unknown for Jabba) and is a full-length campaign and it's between 11-14 missions long

A "campaign mission" is well, the actual mission. It's highly NOT recommended to mix in new stuff once you start a new "campaign" unless all players are cool with it (ex. hey you never brought out those Heavy Stormtroopers before?)

Whenever you start a new campaign (mini-campaign 4-missions or full-campaign 11-14 missions) everything resets: Rebels repick heroes, Imperial repick class cards & reconstruct agenda deck...

Ok, but that still doesn't answer my question. Are there or are there not "extra" characters (with their associated side missions) that must be added into one campaign or another in order to use them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only 3 that you can use as Imperial without winning their mission are

Hired Guns (Wave 3)
Bantha (Wave 4)
ISB (Wave 6)

Stormtrooper (Wave 3) is kind of special, you can only deploy max 1X eStorm + 2X rStorm in a campaign, winning 'Bunker Buster' from Stormtrooper pack gives you the 501st training rewards, same goes for Hired Guns/Bantha/ISB mission (grants you a reward card if you win)

Everything else (Wookiee, Boba, Leia, Sorin, Lando...) you must win their respective side/agenda mission to deploy them, unless of course some special mission tells you otherwise (ex. winning the 1st campaign mission in Hoth campaign grants you Echo Base Troopers)

Last part: You win the regular version (grey color) if you win their mission, and you have choice to take in the elite version (red color) if you win another mission that grants the same unit as reward again

BUT you might still not get to use all deployment cards. For example, building side mission deck is heroes' red missions+4 green+4 grey, but you can't have missions that offer duplicate rewards in same color. So you can't include both Rebel Saboteur's green mission cards (1 from core+1 from pack). The only 2 units I know that permits Rebels taking Elite unit are Rebel Troopers (win Gideon's red side mission+win green pack mission) and Echo Base Troopers (win Hoth mission #1+win EBT green pack mission)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Ok, but that still doesn't answer my question. Are there or are there not "extra" characters (with their associated side missions) that must be added into one campaign or another in order to use them?

By the time period rules you should not add Luke Skywalker and Han Solo missions to the Return to Hoth campaign. Otherwise you are able to include anything - and practically by ignoring(house-ruling the time periods you can include Luke and Han also.

Han and Luke can appear also in the story missions of the core, so you may meet them without their side missions. The same applies to other figures in the core and other campaigns.

The number of side missions is limited in each campaign, and you won't play all of them, so it will take several campaigns to get to play them all. I have played 86 campaign missions, and I have not even played all missions from the core box yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
In my opinion, you might as well just go for it.

If you have the more options, why not use them? It's not like you're spoiling side missions for yourself- there are a lot of side missions, it'll take a while to get through them all.

The game doesn't suffer from complexity bloat too badly, either. There are a couple of new conditions here and there, but the game isn't going to be much more confusing to new players if you've added all your components.

As a fellow gamer who played his first campaign with waves 1-5 (eventually incorporating some elements of 6 and 7), I honestly think that the grander of an experience you can provide, the more likely your players are to return.

For example, right before your last mission, the Loku player (wouldn't have had Loku without Return to Hoth, by the way) ended up with the Ancient Lightsaber from Obi Wan's pack. Wouldn't have had that without Wave 7!

The only caveat- make sure to leave out story missions and campaign specific material from whatever campaigns you're not playing. Otherwise, I really don't understand why everyone is so against this.

And yes, painting is absolutely worth it- even if you're just a mediocre painter, it looks so much better than grey and tan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll side with the just play it all wagon, but with one caveat as well. Either don't use all the agenda decks as the imperial or randomly pick which 6 to include. There are a ton of them when you have all the expansions and they can be overwhelming for the imperial when you are just starting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott K.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the definitive answer.

My son and I played one core campaign to start. We played 3 or 4 scenarios until we figured out all of the game mechanics including the multiple sets of cards, player powers, Imperial powers, game phases and processes, etc.

Once we felt comfortable with how to play, we restarted the campaign with each of us having an idea of how the game plays and changed setup decisions to start the new campaign with this newly earned wisdom.

We only repeated 1 or 2 scenarios and I think this "tutorial" run helped us enjoy the full campaign experience.

Once you finish the core campaign (or the "tutorial"), you will have a strong idea of what expansions, heroes, side quests, allies, etc. that will improve YOUR desired gameplay experience. And you will have a LOT of fun choices with all the goodies!

May FF be with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
jarredscott78 wrote:

No, players can pick any characters from any expansion to play in any Campaign.

Any enemies from any expansion can be picked for any campaign.

For Allies and Villians (the named guys like Lando or Greedo), there is a possibilty for them to appear in any big box campaign, as they're added by side missions. One thing I'd note is if you want to see *everything* it's highly unlikely you'll get through every single side mission in every single blister pack without a lot of campaigns. There's around 20 already, you only play 4-5 side missions per campaign, and there's two other types of side missions competing for slots. So while it's possible they get played, it's not always likely.

I'd suggest adding everything in *but* if ever the choices are too overwhelming, look for the core box symbol and just pick from those.

Also if the Rebels pick characters with no knowledge of the game, it's possible for them to screw themselves by accidently picking three support characters or such. Which won't happen with just the base game as there is only one support character in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
jarredscott78 wrote:
a1bert wrote:

bill_andel wrote:

If time isn't an issue does anyone believe that one of the mini-campaigns would be better to start with for the sake of learning the game for the first time?

No.

The biggest challenge is that you start the mini campaign with 3xp, so you have to make important choices about your character without really understanding the game. Then after the first mission you have 2xp more. Same with credits.

The big campaigns start you with 0xp, so you get an entire mission to get to grips with the character, and once you beat it you get 1xp, so you have just three choices (buy one of your two 1xp skills or save it)- it's a lot easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.