Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch» Forums » General

Subject: Trailer and Kickstarter Date rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://cmon.com/#/news/the-world-of-smog-rise-of-moloch-kick...

We've revealed the date for the Rise of Moloch Kickstarter, as well as released our Kickstarter Trailer.

I'll be around answering any question you guys might have- but note I won't be getting into any specific until the time is right

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Meeusen

Belmont
Michigan
msg tools
Anything we should know or that you can tell us about why it was initially delayed? Also, can you give us an idea of the delivery date then as well, i.e. still in 2017?

Will there be a rulebook when the kickstarter launches and what about people concerned that this is a re-skin of zombicide?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great trailer as usual. I haven't been paying close enough attention though because I just realized it's a 1-vs-many. Are there plans to provide an AI overlord for those who want to play it as a pure co-op?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Shinall wrote:
http://cmon.com/#/news/the-world-of-smog-rise-of-moloch-kick...

We've revealed the date for the Rise of Moloch Kickstarter, as well as released our Kickstarter Trailer.

I'll be around answering any question you guys might have- but note I won't be getting into any specific until the time is right



Nice! Still not sure if I'll back (1vM isn't really my thing), but I'll definitely be following.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the world and characters. The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service is very enjoyable. My only hesitation is because I already own a couple 1vM games, and I'm not sure I would get another to the table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zekks wrote:
Anything we should know or that you can tell us about why it was initially delayed? Also, can you give us an idea of the delivery date then as well, i.e. still in 2017?

Will there be a rulebook when the kickstarter launches and what about people concerned that this is a re-skin of zombicide?


1. Numerous reasons why we held the Kickstarter date back. Not limited to... Well,the insane amount of other projects launched in November. Very crowded month.

2. Delivery date is set by Production.

3. Aside from the fact both games have zombies I'm not much sure where anyone can say this is a "reskin of zombicide". The fact it's one-vs-many already pushes that aside- but I'll copy a response I made earlier to someone who asked if this was a re-skin of The Others (which again rings a bit funny to me since Zombicide-The Others-Moloch are quite different in play-style and experience, but apparently if it has zombies/monsters, it's the same game?):

They're only similar in the "1 vs. All" mechanic. Otherwise in RoM you're going to choose a Gentleman who belongs to a certain Job (Class, basically), each with their own unique sets of upgrades and powers.

RoM is also a campaign driven game- while you can certainly play each scenario as a one-shot, the overall campaign links together, with each game impacting the next- losses and victories, and the events surrounding them, will have repercussions moving forward.

Meanwhile, for the Nemesis (Overlord) you're going to be in control of various henchmen and minions, each with different variable powers that you'll select (as well as some other upgrades) and have your own set of objectives to complete. It's not just a game of "Kill the Heroes"- You might be actively trying to kidnap a hostage, burn the city down, etc etc.


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Urbanek
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
The Dice & Mystics Board Game Guild say: Have fun!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to have the date.
I am a big fan of The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service – Gentleman Pack already. I am looking forward to see more of this world and experience a different gamesyle in it. I am a big fan of one vs all, too. Hence it fits perfectly for me and my group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Michael,

What is the ruleset difficulty of the game? Is it fairly simple, like Zombicide: BP? Or a heavier ruleset like Descent/Imperial Assault? Or somewhere in between?

In a similar vein, is there a disparity between the knowledge of the required ruleset between Overlord/Unicorns? Would you say that the overlord player requires the most familiarity with the ruleset? (e.g. don't let the newbie play Dracula in Fury of Dracula).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Meeusen

Belmont
Michigan
msg tools
Michael Shinall wrote:
zekks wrote:
Anything we should know or that you can tell us about why it was initially delayed? Also, can you give us an idea of the delivery date then as well, i.e. still in 2017?

Will there be a rulebook when the kickstarter launches and what about people concerned that this is a re-skin of zombicide?


1. Numerous reasons why we held the Kickstarter date back. Not limited to... Well,the insane amount of other projects launched in November. Very crowded month.

2. Delivery date is set by Production.

3. Aside from the fact both games have zombies I'm not much sure where anyone can say this is a "reskin of zombicide". The fact it's one-vs-many already pushes that aside- but I'll copy a response I made earlier to someone who asked if this was a re-skin of The Others (which again rings a bit funny to me since Zombicide-The Others-Moloch are quite different in play-style and experience, but apparently if it has zombies/monsters, it's the same game?):

They're only similar in the "1 vs. All" mechanic. Otherwise in RoM you're going to choose a Gentleman who belongs to a certain Job (Class, basically), each with their own unique sets of upgrades and powers.

RoM is also a campaign driven game- while you can certainly play each scenario as a one-shot, the overall campaign links together, with each game impacting the next- losses and victories, and the events surrounding them, will have repercussions moving forward.

Meanwhile, for the Nemesis (Overlord) you're going to be in control of various henchmen and minions, each with different variable powers that you'll select (as well as some other upgrades) and have your own set of objectives to complete. It's not just a game of "Kill the Heroes"- You might be actively trying to kidnap a hostage, burn the city down, etc etc.




Just for clarification, I don't see it as a re-skin but others (who similarly stated Massive Darkness was as well prior to its Kickstarter) have suggested that. Thanks for the answers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the issue is there is just sooo many 1 vs all games that have been released in just the last couple of years that people are getting burnt out on them. But this being CMON the kickstarter will still do just fine I just think it wont be one of there better kickstarter campaigns from burnout of the 1 vs all games out there people are not clamoring for this type of game. This is in no way a knock of the game play itself it takes some interesting ideas from games like Conan and Omega 7 with the use of ether so I simply dont see anything really fresh and new with this title to make people excited for it.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Hello Michael,

What is the ruleset difficulty of the game? Is it fairly simple, like Zombicide: BP? Or a heavier ruleset like Descent/Imperial Assault? Or somewhere in between?

In a similar vein, is there a disparity between the knowledge of the required ruleset between Overlord/Unicorns? Would you say that the overlord player requires the most familiarity with the ruleset? (e.g. don't let the newbie play Dracula in Fury of Dracula).



One of the main aspects of this game that I love is the symmetry that you'll see in how the Nemesis and the Gentlemen play. I honestly do feel that game-to-game you could easily switch out who is playing the Nemesis and it wouldn't be difficult for anyone who has played on the opposite side.

Without getting too much into the mechanics, as we'll save that for more detail later, almost all aspects of one side have a mirror on the other. The Henchmen of the Nemesis function in most regards like Evil Gentlemen, the Gentlemen have Upgrades and Equipment, the Nemesis has...Well, Upgrades as well (but they are gained slightly differently) and Chaos Cards, etc etc.


As far as difficulty goes, it's more than zombicide just given how deep you can work your characters. I wouldn't say Imperial Assault levels, however (not that I consider that difficult, either).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish there were solitaire play. Between Imperial Assault and The Others, I've got my 1 vs. many covered. But success to you and the crew.

Jorune
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh great, another campaign 1 vs many game / dungeon crawler from CMON... Honestly I don't get how they don't get fed up with reskinning the same games over and over again... yawn
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Martin
Australia
Clifton Springs
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife & I really like The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service, and were very interested in another game set in the same world, and had been tracking along with progress as best we could.

Unfortunately we heavily backed The Others, and now it doesn't make much sense for us to also invest in 'yet another 1 vs Many game'.

I would have preferred if this were another odd and unique game design like On Her Majesty's Service, as then I could have easily rationalised backing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
centipixel wrote:
My wife & I really like The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service, and were very interested in another game set in the same world, and had been tracking along with progress as best we could.

Unfortunately we heavily backed The Others, and now it doesn't make much sense for us to also invest in 'yet another 1 vs Many game'.

I would have preferred if this were another odd and unique game design like On Her Majesty's Service, as then I could have easily rationalised backing it.


Exactly this. I missed the Kickstarter for On Her Majesty's Service, so I was happy they were coming with a new version. I don't think I will be backing this now though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, I am souring on this concept as well. They are so many other skirmish miniatures games out there I am sick of them. The theme has great attraction for me, love it. But why o why make this a skirmish game?? Id rather an area movement game where things are investigated and mysteries uncovered, and combat a sideshow at best.

Putting the combat front and center....meh.

I think my ardour for immediate kickstarter is turning into...wait and see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha M
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do think that CMON are really stagnated to certain style and genres on their miniature games. This feels like a cross between Zombicide and The Others. I'm actually on a point where I don't really care anymore.

That said, I probably still back the Kickstarter, as the pure value is likely going to warrant it. If in the end I don't like the game, and it is repeating it self too much, I can sell the game at least for the price I got it for.

The CMON mini quality is great, and I would like to see them making a deeper game with some unique stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that the theme is different. I'll wait to see how it plays in the kickstarter to evaluate if the mechanics are sufficient differentiated as well.

Also, I like that Michael Shinall is involved. Basically, I'm inclined to give it a shot, but I'll evaluate when I see more when the KS is launched. No use speculating on what I think this is/might be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... how does this play as a 3 or 4-player game?

Does the gentlemen play a 2nd character? or is scaling done differently?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
This is a funny thread. Only because, I have never seen a Euro gamer say, "welp I have Agricola and Stone Age so I never need another worker placement game again". If you are a fan of miniatures games and 1 v many games there is always room for more assuming there is differentiation in the mechanics. Just recently I have picked up Conan, Turtles, and Doom which are certainly differentiated much like you could say Agricola, Waterdeep, and Vinhos are. I just never see anyone saying, "oh great, another worker placement game" when Uwe or someone of his ilk releases a new game. I guess I just don't get the complaints, unless you are not really a fan of the genre.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Martin
Australia
Clifton Springs
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
I have never seen a Euro gamer say, "welp I have Agricola and Stone Age so I never need another worker placement game again".


I don't have ANY single worker placement game (or any game + expansions) that cost me as much as The Others.

So as someone who 'plays games', and doesn't 'paint minis', while I can enjoy the genre and mechanisms, the anticipated high price (& slew of extras) is what makes it far harder to justify buying into a similar experience.

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service was quite a unique game and comparatively cheap when compared to most CMON KS campaigns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
This is a funny thread. Only because, I have never seen a Euro gamer say, "welp I have Agricola and Stone Age so I never need another worker placement game again". If you are a fan of miniatures games and 1 v many games there is always room for more assuming there is differentiation in the mechanics. Just recently I have picked up Conan, Turtles, and Doom which are certainly differentiated much like you could say Agricola, Waterdeep, and Vinhos are. I just never see anyone saying, "oh great, another worker placement game" when Uwe or someone of his ilk releases a new game. I guess I just don't get the complaints, unless you are not really a fan of the genre.


I have Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep, Vinhos and a bunch of other worker placement titles. I no longer buy worker placement games because I have enough of them. I think Village was the last one I bought, with Viticulure being the only one before that. I have completely skipped the new crop of worker placement titles (Uwe's stuff).

Now you've heard someone say it

Jorune
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Jorune wrote:
Guillyberto wrote:
This is a funny thread. Only because, I have never seen a Euro gamer say, "welp I have Agricola and Stone Age so I never need another worker placement game again". If you are a fan of miniatures games and 1 v many games there is always room for more assuming there is differentiation in the mechanics. Just recently I have picked up Conan, Turtles, and Doom which are certainly differentiated much like you could say Agricola, Waterdeep, and Vinhos are. I just never see anyone saying, "oh great, another worker placement game" when Uwe or someone of his ilk releases a new game. I guess I just don't get the complaints, unless you are not really a fan of the genre.


I have Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep, Vinhos and a bunch of other worker placement titles. I no longer buy worker placement games because I have enough of them. I think Village was the last one I bought, with Viticulure being the only one before that. I have completely skipped the new crop of worker placement titles (Uwe's stuff).

Now you've heard someone say it

Jorune


Earlier in this thread you said between 2 1v1 games you have the whole genre covered. If your profile is to be believed you have dozens of worker placement games, I'm just saying. When you whittle your entire collection down to 2 worker placement games and call that adequate then let's talk.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
This is a funny thread. Only because, I have never seen a Euro gamer say, "welp I have Agricola and Stone Age so I never need another worker placement game again". If you are a fan of miniatures games and 1 v many games there is always room for more assuming there is differentiation in the mechanics. Just recently I have picked up Conan, Turtles, and Doom which are certainly differentiated much like you could say Agricola, Waterdeep, and Vinhos are. I just never see anyone saying, "oh great, another worker placement game" when Uwe or someone of his ilk releases a new game. I guess I just don't get the complaints, unless you are not really a fan of the genre.


I'll buy adventure games (dungeon crawlers) all day long. Every single one gets at least a look from me. But as we prefer co-op, 1vM rarely get more than a look.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Martin
Australia
Clifton Springs
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
Earlier in this thread you said between 2 1v1 games you have the whole genre covered.


I said no such thing, so I'd suggest you go back and re-read what I originally stated, it's an easy task as it's only a few messages above.

You'll find that it's entirely in keeping with the sentiment of my second message.

So if you refrain from misquoting me, misinterpreting me, or making assumptions about me, "then we'll talk".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.