Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Update: Gambler's Chest Roll 5 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
The best update to date!
Redone Hunt Table encourages new builds - awesome!

The Murderer - great miniature adding new game content, that shows that Philisophies really change the game! It seems KD is getting more balanced. Hursh, but even if something bad happens, there is at least some interesting development.

The Young Survivor is also a nice touch. Love the design

Have a question though. It is me or the Narrative Minatures are a bit more cartoonish? At least the Murderer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, another great update indeed!

I am very happy to see a complete overhauled hunt table!

"You'll notice greater attention to the world and narrative aspects as well as some adjustment to language to make things clearer and better fit the Kingdom Death spirit!"

"Taking a Whip out on the hunt is now extremely helpful and can save you and your group from peril."

So we get a more narratives and descriptions during the hunt phase of the unknown world in which KDM takes place. Furthermore it is likely the hunting party has more tools at their disposal to actually survive certain outcomes instead
Spoiler (click to reveal)
of having one or more departed survivors just die because of a bad die roll on the hunt event table.
(Nonetheless, KDM will remain deadly as ever so I am not making any illusions here.)

And from the looks of it, in regard to the Murderer Settlement event:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It seems the murderer event gives the settlement a choice instead of losing multiple inhabitants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
I bet the Bone Witch narrative sculpture and a matching Philosophy are in one of those other "skull boxes".

It really seems like KD is becoming much more "choice vs consequences" thing. I think this is adding a whole new layer to the game.

Up to this moment some random particularly deadly events were often just irritating. Now they add to narrative and strategy. So awesome!

I wonder will the Story Events also be modified?

1.5 is becoming much more cool then I thought it can be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
kurczaczekx wrote:
I bet the Bone Witch narrative sculpture and a matching Philosophy are in one of those other "skull boxes".

It really seems like KD is becoming much more "choice vs consequences" thing. I think this is adding a whole new layer to the game.

Up to this moment some random particularly deadly events were often just irritating. Now they add to narrative and strategy. So awesome!

Oh...oh God. Not the Bone Witch. Please not the Bone Witch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kurczaczekx wrote:

Without giving away spoilers could you describe a little detail by what you mean? I've been trying to do research on this game and the mentioning of the stories and narrative seems the most elusive part for me to understand how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Very interesting news about the hunt!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Shaw
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omg! Omg! Omg!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retro_Gamer_22 wrote:
kurczaczekx wrote:

Without giving away spoilers could you describe a little detail by what you mean? I've been trying to do research on this game and the mentioning of the stories and narrative seems the most elusive part for me to understand how the game works.

Narrative for this game is through story events that are fixed on the timeline by whether you're just playing core or have added in expansions. Some of those events may create additional story events on the timeline. Each lantern year (how the game is broken up, which each main phase of the game coming together to form 1 lantern year), there is a settlement event, which is drawing a card from a pre-formed deck and resolving what happens. This adds more story, sometimes some additional events for later lantern years, and sometimes a f*ck-me-why-did-my-favorite-survivor-have-to-die event. One of those was the Murder settlement event. That has been updated to give the players better choices and maybe some way to mitigate the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
kurczaczekx wrote:

Have a question though. It is me or the Narrative Minatures are a bit more cartoonish? At least the Murderer.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Maybe just a bit - when in doubt, however, I check if the toenails are still there: if they are, the miniature is still freakishly detailed

At any rate, yes, seemingly a bit more cartoonish. Still nice, though - I just hope they won't seem out of place with the rest (but hey, keep a Goblin WHFB army between 1996 and 2004: THAT is mixing a lot of different sculpts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
It seems like you get a lot more choices in KDM 1.5 and that is something I really like.
I just hope all that choices do not make the game to easy, because I want KDM to be as brutal as it can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
This works beautifully.

I've cheated at times with the Murder SE, as well as Plague. Though I appreciate the brutality of KD, it just feels sucky having survivors die off so abruptly.

At the same time, too many buffs take away the purity and brutality of the game.

This new direction maintains the difficulty and brutality, while embracing it, instead of buffing it. Perhaps it creates a paradigm shift in your settlement to become more malevolent, Graves becomes Cannibalise and Murder is exalted... This is pure awesomeness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Geringer
United States
Forestburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a great update, and so funny too. Sigh, Adam, you funny guy you!

I am really excited to hear the hunt table is getting some love in 1.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Retro_Gamer_22 wrote:
kurczaczekx wrote:

Without giving too much away. One of the problems of KD is that from time to time you can have a great campaign totally destroyed by a string of bad rolls (random Hunt Events) or card draws (you have to draw one random card from a Story Event Deck each year). It can mean dozens of hours going down the drain and you can't prepare for it or do anything about it. While one bad event is not likely to destroy a good game run a random nature of things means that you can have 2 or 3 of those in a row. It's absolutely out of your control.

There is a great mechanics review/analysis by Nick Wirtz that deals with it in detail. You need to know how the game works to understand it and it's a bit spoilery, so if you want to get in the game without too much knowledge skip it. It's great read though and you can find it here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1675923/tough-love-follow-k...

Anyway what the new update shows is the fact, that now you can be prepared for bad things to come (take a whip on a hunt or embrace Survival of The Fittest to deal with perils of Hunt Table, etc.) or at least get some choice/upside if things go terribly wrong (like Murder Settlement Event).

It's not longer about being sad and out of control and blaiming a game for bad luck.

If your favourite guy dies it's either your fault (you wanted extra dagger for affinities and no one took a whip? that's on you) or you can strategize around things like Murder to at least have a chance of embracing unfortunate and changing it into something good (new weapons and philosophies coming from Murder). So it's much more about calculated risks.

It all shows that it will all be much less possible for a game kill your Settlement "just because". For me it's a grand improvement.

We also see that Principles do get some balancing. Survival of the Fittest was pretty obviously inferior to Protect The Young. Now it comes with extra buffs, once in a life-time reroll for every survivor and some Hunt Events interactions that can save you. That's so big that I hope Protect The Young will also get some buff, because otherwise it will become obsolete!

The Gambler's Box is becoming much more important part of a 1.5 than I originally believed it would be though! It seems the Advanced Rulebook with scouts, philosophies and other stuff will actually up the game to 1.6. It's a really essential purchase!

I wonder what would its MSRP be - $200? Most other things are 50% off now. It means that if you will want a full KD experience at retail it would be 600 (400 core + 200 gamblers box)! That's rough.

I guess after more balancing this stuff will become part of 2.0 in the end.

But yeah... I'm pretty hyped about all those changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.