Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I tried playing Wendy solo for the first time.

I had a great opening hand: Leo, Rabbit’s Foot, Look What I Found, Emergency Cache, Cunning Distraction

I went on a charge, made most of my chaos draws (or failed by just the right amount) and had the Parlor open by the end of turn 3!

Things didn’t go quite so well next turn - I failed 4 evade tests in a row, but Leo took the worst of it, bless him, and next turn I managed to evade, get to the parlour, and persuade Lita to join me. Foolishly I’d forgotten that the Ghoul Priest would come after me (or, rather, I’d forgotten that he would immediately attack when he found me), but luckily I just happened to be standing behind Lita when he did, so that didn’t work out too badly.

In my rush, I’d forgotten to get any weapons ready, so I evaded again (took a couple of attempts), and got my Baseball Bat out. By the end of that turn I was all ready to win next turn: I had a pile of resources and Cunning Distraction to make sure I evaded (even if I drew an enemy during the Mythos Phase), and a load of skill cards to make sure my attacks hit home. I took a resource and a card - and pulled out Paranoia. All my accumulated resources gone, and with them any chance of playing Cunning Distraction...

So, next turn I decided to sacrifice a couple of cards in my hand to make sure I made an evade test. Made it….back on track. Then I used the Baseball Bat, used a couple of skill cards just to make sure of the test, and with Lita’s help: 3 damage to the Ghoul Priest, and best of all I still had an action left (and some skill cards) to finish the job this turn. Then I remembered that one of the skill cards I’d just used was Overpowered, so I should draw a card...

...Abandoned and Alone. 2 direct horror. I’d already taken 6 horror, so that finished me off. I had managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Why I Love this Game

First there’s the story. Even though I’ve played the opening scenario four times now, every time it’s played out differently. I loved the way that Wendy raced round the house, finding clues like they were lit up in neon, dodging the Grasping Hands and shrugging her shoulders at the Rotting Remains. The fight was very different to the previous ones I’d had...it was all evading and waiting for the right moment. And then just at her moment of victory, when all physical preparations were made, a moment of Paranoia, which she managed to shrug off, and then literally as she struck the monster a sudden panicked moment of realising that she was all alone in a monstrous, chaotic and uncaring universe...and her mind simply snapped.

Next there’s the luck (or lack of it). In every game I’ve played the good and bad draws have pretty much evened out. I’ve seen threads saying the game is about mitigating luck like that’s a bad thing. But when you know what the probabilities are you can plan for it over the course of the game...take some chances on things that don’t matter and save your best cards for the things that do (and have a backup plan just in case).

Then there’s the cards. I love that my character is flawed, and has sub-optimal cards. It’s one of the things that makes the game fun, it’s what makes stories and sessions that I’ll remember for a long time. It’s nice to win, but a game where everything runs like clockwork is just not that interesting (you can probably guess that I’m only using one Core set).

Finally, there’s the strategy. I’ve still got so much to learn, and every game provides new lessons. From this game:

* Card draw isn’t always a good thing. With Rabbit’s Foot I was drawing an extra card most turns. I should have realised that I was into the second half of my deck and still hadn’t seen any weakness cards.

* Leo is not quite as great as he first seems. I got him out second turn, and it was great having four actions per turn, but I wonder whether I would have been better served using all those resources for other purposes (he was probably only around for four turns).

* There is no such thing as a free draw. I kept thinking “it doesn’t really matter how many evade rolls I fail as long as I make one before the end of the turn”...but over the course of the game I took a load of horror and damage from failed rolls, and even though it doesn’t seem a big deal because it’s only 1 each time, it all adds up.

* Don’t save everything for the final battle. It was stupid of me allowing four failed evades. I had a whole handful of cards...I should have spent some to make sure of the fourth evade.

* Early decisions can have big effects. At the end of Agenda 1, I chose to take 2 horror rather than lose a random card. That decision probably lost me the game.

* Evade is powerful, but you have to get used to the ‘rhythm’ of it. It’s also an interesting calculation whether to spend an action on evading first to make things ‘safe’, or just bet everything on making your attacks and pray you don’t miss.

*Remember that Hunters move, then attack

I’m enjoying this game more each time I play it, and I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about it between games (which is always a sign of a great game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I've learned from experience that *relying* on your Cunning Distraction to handle the following turn can go south. Where you drew into Paranoia (ouch) I pulled a Dissonant Voices encounter card on the critical turn. No events available, no mass evade, ouch.

I'm surprised you failed so many tests -- is that with you tossing cards for Wendy's special ability or are you a little more selective with when you use that? (I'm increasingly tending toward re-pulling with wild abandon, especially if Rabbit's Foot is out.)

Not sure if you're aware, but you had cards and resources there to get Leo and your Foot out in your play area by the end of turn 1.

Early on, I considered Wendy a pretty nice tanky character with even, balanced stats. Now I just treat her as a 7/5 character. With her unique weakness pending, I can't stand to take her into 5 horror territory. My attitude is "be aware of the weaknesses and expect them". If I have Paranoia, I am spending resources. If I have Amnesia, I am being more aggressive with tossing cards at re-pulls, etc.

In Agenda 1b, for low sanity lead investigators (and I consider Wendy a low sanity investgator due to her weakness) always take the discard!

Sounds like you definitely could have stalled your progress a little and tried to draw into cards like backstab, sneak attack. Obviously with you pulling Paranoia at a critical moment, their possible worth is in the wind, but I'm not sure how wise it is to advance to the Priest without first having a solid "so, what's my plan?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahahahaha! (Imagine the hysterical laughter of one who just failed a sanity check)...would this be a good time to confess that I ENTIRELY FORGOT WENDY'S SPECIAL ABILITY?

<sigh> Yes...in retrospect that certainly would have helped.

I know I could have got Leo and the Rabbit's foot out turn one, but I just had it in my head to try to escape the study on turn one (and once I'd done that, I just went with the "how quickly can I finish this?" strategy. But you're right I should have slowed it down a bit and prepped better. I did have a plan for the Ghoul Priest, but it didn't amount to much more than "Speak to Lita, and hit him with a big bat".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Haha, well in that case, you used Wendy in that game, but you didn't play Wendy. Her special ability is a marvel.

On the topic of Advancing past Act 1 -- I'll talk openly about this stuff since you dropped the spoiler warning in the topic title -- it is absolutely worth sticking around in the Study for a brief period while you get your kit together. Grab the clues you need to advance early, but then relax. Equip those bits. Plump up your hand a little. You might at the very least hold on to your clues at the end of the fist turn's investigation phase, then see what the first encounter card is on turn 2. If it's an enemy, you have the clues to throw at advancing the Act immediately, as a fast action no less, which grants a free discard of all enemies in the Study.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
I've learned from experience that *relying* on your Cunning Distraction to handle the following turn can go south. Where you drew into Paranoia (ouch) I pulled a Dissonant Voices encounter card on the critical turn. No events available, no mass evade, ouch.

Oh yeah, same thing happened to me.
I had this great plan to defeat the final boss as solo Roland by using Dodge to buy myself an extra turn.
Then I drew Dissonant Voices. No Dodge for me... and literally no possible to either kill or evade the monster that turn (any other action would provoke an attack that would kill me)
Game over :*(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Alder
United Kingdom

Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Play Report, thanks for sharing.

I really enjoy reading about other peoples experiences with the game and decisions that they made. This is where I see the replayability of the game, even though the story may be the same the journey differs every time due to card draw and chaos checks etc.

Can't wait to get home from work and get a few more plays in. Going to play two handed solo this weekend for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is so much like a lot of other card games - you can make all the 'correct' decisions, weighing up the probabilities and playing to your outs, and still lose. This is something which definitely divides people when it comes to games like this, that you can do everything 'right' and still get beaten.

Personally, as a long time card game player, I love this kind of thing.

What's of more interest is the story and also what your win percentage is over time against a particular scenario with a certain investigator team and difficulty level - if you're into tracking stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI. At the end of the turn you draw a new card first and then gain resources. So you would at least have one resource left when you draw Paranoia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tehcrow
United Kingdom
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed the read,

I played the 1st and 2nd Scenario as Solo Wendy last night and will revisit the 3rd later this week.

Scenario 2 did not end well, so I'm not looking forward to any repercussions.

Thanks for sharing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.