Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Castillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
1. "Strategic Planning" says "ready or exhaust a support".

So, it makes sense to exhaust an opponents support card to remove their dice from play but what about to "ready" your own.

I would think that if you had activated a character and played their dice THEN on a subsequent turn decide to add a support card to that already played character, you obviously cannot roll associated die since that character has been played. Then you would use this card on another turn to "ready" the card so you could roll the dice for that already played character, correct?

Is there any other way you would use this for your characters that I am missing?

2. Sith Holocron

The special lets you ignore play restrictions on a blue ability.

So I could give Grievous a force throw (blue card that says blue character only). Do I also ignore the resource cost of that card that I am swapping?

The cost of Holocron is 0. If the cost of the blue uprade in my hand is 2 does that mean I get to ignore that cost? Is the cost a "play restriction".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Christgau
United States
Joelton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Support cards are not attached to characters, but this would let you potentially use a die from them twice in one turn. BB8 is a support so you could exhaust, roll the die as an action. Another action spend the die. Another action use this card to un-exhaust BB8 so you could rinse-repeat.

2. The cost is the not a restriction so you still have to pay that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Castillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks. I completely mixed up support and upgraded and forgot support cards aren't attached like upgrades. Doh..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Whiton
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Regarding Sith Holocron. Has it been 100% confirmed that "play restrictions" doesn't also include resource cost? Several sites I have seen are interpreting it as resource costs for the upgrades are ignored (treated as play restrictions). I could make an argument that having to pay resources is a "play restriction". If I don't posses the proper resources or am not a blue character, etc, without the Holocron either of those game states technically "restrict" upgrade play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

Play restrictions sometimes appear on a card and are marked
by the word “only.” A player cannot play the card unless the
play restriction is met.

"Sometimes" is the key word. All cards played have a cost, even 0. I think that's why I can safely say that cost is NOT a play restriction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Castillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
I just looked at the FFG rules reference for Destiny:

• You do not pay any resources for switching to a new card

Guess I should have checked that first.

Here's the whole reference:

SITH HOLOCRON (r16)
• You can switch cards that say “Blue character only” onto a
character that is not Blue.
• You do not pay any resources for switching to a new card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Whiton
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
So if I am reading this correctly, even though resource cost is not a play restriction, in the case of the Sith Holocron it is a moot point. FFG has ruled that there is no cost to switch to a new card?

Side note: any one have any Sith Holocrons for trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Sith Holocron allows you very specifically to Switch a Blue Upgrade with another Upgrade on a Non-Blue character, and said Switch is completely Free.

Nice! It means there are a couple of video replays out there where they misplayed it, allowing the Switch to be done on a Blue character (Kylo Ren)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Castillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't think they did it wrong if they upgraded Kylo Ren. It might be smart. The reason I would think is because Mind Probe for example has a cost of 4 while the holocron cost is 0. So, if you play the holocron at a cost of 0, you can later swap it out for 0 cost for a high cost upgrade. Pretty good card I guess if you do that.

The card doesn't say which color character can play the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.