Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally posted the items in this thread in the Solitaire Games on Your Table thread for November 2016. I busted out my Mage Knight box of goodies (Thank you, Harbor Freight sales, I think I got this PERFECT box for like $4.99 or something.):

I will be playing the Solo Conquest scenario using the base game and the Lost Legion expansion. I will be using Wolfhawk (the new character from Lost Legion) who, for some reason, I keep on calling her everything BUT Wolfhawk. She's always Hawkmoon, or Hawkwind or WindWolf or something to me... LOL. Arythea will be the Dummy Player.

Each round will be in a separate post in this thread.

DAY ONE:

Map: Tile A starting tile, with tile 13 to the left and tile 6 to the right. That puts a Lake and a Mountain right in the center so I am going to have to choose to go left or right as it won't make sense to try to go both ways when I need to find the Cities. The left tile has a Deep Mine (supplying Blue and Green Mana), a Magical Glade, some Rampaging Digger Orcs and a Mage Tower. The tile to the right has a Monster Den, a Red Crystal Mine and Rampaging Cursed Hags (Orcs). The Mage Tower makes my decision to head left.

Mana Pool:
Red, Red, White

Tactics: I take 4 Planning, Arythea takes 6 The Right Moment. I get to go first and will draw 1 extra card each turn I have at least 2 cards in my hand.

Turn 1: I use Tirelessness and March to Move 5 to the Deep Mine. I reveal Ice Mages in the Mage Tower. At the end of my turn, I take a Green Mana Crystal to my inventory from the Deep Mine and draw 3 cards. Arythea takes her turn and draws 3 cards and ends on a non-red/white card so she has 13 cards left.

Mana Pool:
Red, Red, White

Turn 2: I use the White Mana die from the Source and Swift Reflexes to move into and assault the Mage Tower (-1 Reputation). The Ice Mages are fortified and do Ice Damage. I don't have any Seige Attack and no Fire Block or Block 10, so I take the 5 damage and take 3 wounds into my hand. Then I use the Green Mana Crystal from my inventory along with Concentration and Swiftness to get Range Attack 5. I play a March card sideways for +1 Attack to get the 6 Attack I need to kill the Ice Mages. That gets me 5 Fame and I level up. Before I end my turn, I play Tranquility to Heal one of the 3 Wound cards.

At the end of my turn, I take my Combat Reward, a Spell from the Spell Offering. I take Offering! Not only is it a Spell I find useful, but it keeps a chance of a Red crystal ending up on Arythea's card. For my Level Up, I take the Skill Motivation (Flip once a round to draw 2 cards) and the Advanced Action, Magic Talent. I draw 3 cards. I have six, two of which are Wounds. Arythea's turn is draw 3 cards, again, no red or white, so she has 10 cards left now.

Mana Pool:
Red, Red, White

Turn 3: Use Motivation Skill to draw 2 more cards. Take a Red Mana Die and use Improvisation (discarding Crystalize) to generate Move 5, which is enough to get me onto the Magical Glade. I play Offering (and discard Mana Draw) to take Red and White Mana Crystals to my inventory. At the end of my turn, the Magical Glade removes a wound (1 left now) and I draw 3 cards. Arythea also draws only 3 cards (lucky so far) and has 7 left. I think I will run out before her.

Mana Pool:
Red, White, White

Turn 4: At the start of my turn, I get a Gold Mana Token from the Magical Glade. I play Stamina for Move 2 and Threat sideways for Move 1 to move to the hex next to the Digger Orcs and I challenge them. They are Fortified and I have no Seige Attack. I use the Gold Mana token as Blue Mana and play Determination for Block 5 cancelling their Attack. I then use a Red Mana Die and Rage (Attack 4) to kill the Orcs for +1 Reputation and +2 Fame, which is NOT enough for another level up. I draw my last 2 cards. Arythea finally hits a Red card and ends up drawing 5 cards this turn, leaving her only 2 left.

Mana Pool:
Green, White, White

Turn 5: I use Magic Talent (discarding the White card, Promise) to cast Call to Arms out of the Spell Offering. That lets me use the ability of Peasants in the Unit Offering to generate Move 2 which is enough to let me explore the next tile. (Stuff like this is why I love Mage Knight... ) I reveal Tile 7, which holds a Dungeon, another Magical Glade, a Monastery and Rampaging Orc Summoners. Now the board looks like this:

I am now essentially out of cards (1 Wound still) and Arythea is as well at the end of this turn, so.... it's the end of Day One! Things look like this before the Round Refresh:

I hope to get 2-3 Rounds done tonight. We will see!

EDIT: MISTAKE FOUND! - As I was looking over my notes that I used to type this up, I noticed I made a mistake in the plays above. It HAS been a long time since I played MK, so I'm not going to beat myself up too much over it.

On Turn 3, I had already used the Red Mana die to power Improvisation, so I didn't have any Red Mana to power the Offering as well. Since I never ended up using those 2 Mana Crystals I gained as a result of the Spell, I will just discard those two Mana Crystals from my inventory as I begin the Night Round this evening.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing my Mage Knight game.

This was the position at the end of DAY ONE:

We now start NIGHT ONE.

NIGHT ONE:

Map: Tile A starting tile, with tile 13 to the left and tile 6 to the right. Tile 7 is now connected to Tile 13. (Refer to the picture above for the starting position.) There is a monastery on Tile 7 but it's way out of the way on the coastline. If my hand ends up combat heavy, I'll head to the Dungeon, otherwise, I intend to explore and turn up some more new tiles.

Mana Pool:
Blue, Green, Gold (depleted)

Tactics: I take 3 Mana Search which will let me re-roll up to two dice in the Mana pool each turn, Arythea takes 5 Preparation. I get to go first again.

Turn 1: I use Mana Search to re-roll the Blue and Gold dice and get Black and Gold instead. Not any better. I use the Green Mana die and March plus Mana Draw sideways for 1 to generate 5 movement. I move to the Hills the Orcs were on and use the last two Movement to explore the new tile which turns out to be Tile 14, which has a Red/White Deep Mine, a Village, a Maze (new to Lost Legion) and a Keep behind a Wall. I use Swiftness for Move 2 to move between the Village and the Deep Mine and end my Turn, drawing 3 cards. Arythea draws 3 cards, she has 14 left now with the addition of the White Advanced Action card last round.

NOTE: I had another error on this Move I just noticed this morning when I was posting the pictures of the board. I DID see the Wall in front of the Keep on Tile 14, but totally missed the Wall in front of the Orcs tile on Tile 13. It wouldn't have affected the combat last turn (they were Fortified anyway) but it WOULD have affected my movement this turn. My bad. But I can't undo it now in retrospect.

Mana Pool:
Black, Black, Gold. I re-roll the Black and Gold and the new Mana Pool ends up being Black, Red, and White.

Turn 2: I flip my Motivation Skill to draw 2 more cards. It's Night time so I won't know what's in that Keep ahead of me unless I move in there and attack, but I have a lot of cards and some good ones, so I decide to go gung ho! I play Swift Reflexes and March (second one) and Promise sideways for 5 Movement (remembering the Wall this time) to advance into the Keep (-1 Reputation). Inside the Keep are Crossbowmen. I don't have Seige Attack and can't generate 8 Block so they hit me for 4 Damage and give me two Wounds. Then I use Rage and Determination for 4 Attack and kill them and take the Keep. That gives me 3 Fame and a Level Up. I use Tranquiity to Heal one of the two Wounds and then end my turn. I'm in my new Keep, so I draw up to six cards. My Level Up gives me a new Command Token (I still have no units though) and increases my Armor to 3. Arythea draws 5 cards (ugh!) and has 9 cards left.

Mana Pool:
Black, White, Red. I re-roll the Black and White dice and the new Mana Pool is Blue, Red, Gold (depleted).

Turn 3: This Keep at the top of Tile 14 is in a nice place since I can explore to the left and the right without leaving my Keep. I use the Blue Mana Die and Tirelessness to get Move 4 to check out two tiles from here. To the left is Tile 8, which has a Village (in a Swamp - yuck!), Rampaging Orc Summoners, a Magical Glade and an Ancient Ruins. Since it's Night time, I have no idea what lies in those Ancient Ruins for now. To the right is Tile 3, which has a much nicer Village, a White Mana Mine, and another Keep. I refill my hand to six and end my turn here. Arythea draws 5 cards for the second turn in a row, leaving her with only four left. I'm running out of time. (But also running out of cards myself.)

Mana Pool:
Red, White, Gold (Depleted). I re-roll the White and Gold and the new Mana Pool is Red, Red, Red.

Turn 4: I don't do any movement, I just stay at my Keep and use the Red Mana Die and Threaten plus Crystalize sideways for 1 to generate six Influence and I recruit my first unit, the Utem Swordsmen from the Keep. At the end of my turn, I draw 2 cards (only 1 left for me) and lose 1 Reputation for the Threaten played earlier (now at -1 Influence on the Reputation Track). Arythea runs her deck out of cards and will declare End of Round on her next turn.

Mana Pool:
Red, Red, Blue. I don't re-roll.

Turn 5: I use the Red Mana Die and the Offering Spell (discarding Magical Talent with it) to get a Red and Blue Crystal to my Inventory. I play Rage and Improvisation both sideways for Move 2 and move to the nice Village on Tile 3. From there, in the daytime, I can explore into the next tile and decide where I want to go next. I draw my last card and Arythea declares End of Round.. Now the board looks like this:

I have one turn left but since my hand is now two Wounds and a useless Concentration, we are done with the Night Round. This is my End of Round tableau, but I think it is the last time I will post these. It makes more sense to post the Tableau at the START of the round and the Board at the end.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This was the position at the end of NIGHT ONE:

And this is what my tableau looks like at the start of DAY TWO (I have six cards because I am still next to my Keep):

We now start DAY TWO.

DAY TWO:

Map: See the image above. My plan at the start of the day is to: a) explore that big empty space in front of me, the last Countryside tile, then b) head back towards that Ancient Site with 7 Fame for 3 Red Mana (I have one already in Inventory), c) beating up those Rampaging Orcs along the way and then finally d) looking for the Core Tiles/Cities north of there. Let's see how it goes in practice!

Mana Pool:
Blue, Red, Gold

Tactics: I am deciding between Mana Steal - 3 and Great Start -5. I decide on Mana Steal because I want a chance of using Magic Talent when it comes out for it's strong ability. Plus I see it as a win-win with Arythea's choice. If she takes Tactics 1 or 2, she goes first this turn, BUT I get Great Start next time OR she takes Great Start but then I go First again for the third round in a row. She takes Great Start, I'm a little disappointed, but I DO go first again. I take the Blue Mana Die out of the Mana Pool and put it on the Mana Steal Tactics card for later use this turn. The Mana pool is now Gold and Red.

Turn 1: I play Mana Draw to be able to use the two Mana dice in the Source this turn. The Gold Mana die, I use as Blue with Crystalize to put a White Mana Crystal to inventory. The Red Mana die I use with Offering to get a Red Mana Crystal to Inventory. I now have two Red Mana Crystals, one Blue and one White in inventory. I play March for Move 2 to explore the next tile and find Tile 10 which has a Monster Den, a Keep, and an Ancient Ruins site which has two Mage monster tokens on it, the reward if you beat them is a Spell and an Advanced Action card. But they are in the exact opposite direction I want to head. I end my Turn and didn't move, so I draw 4 cards up to six. Arythea draws 4 and has 14 left.

Mana Pool:
Blue, Gold.

Turn 2: I use Heal to get rid of the Wound in my hand. I use the Gold Mana die as White and use Influence value 4 to recruit the Herbalists from the Village I am standing in. I needed 4 to recruit the 3 cost Herbalists because of my current Reputation standing of -1. That's all I do this turn and I draw 3 (still next to my Keep) to six. Arythea draws 4, she has 10 left.

Mana Pool:
Green, Blue.

Turn 3: I flip my Motivation skill and draw 2 more cards. I have 8 in hand now, so I better get a lot done! I play Tirelessness and take a Blue Mana Crystal from inventory to power Stamina for a total of Move 7. That gets me over to the Ancient Site with the Altar, but provokes the Orc Summoners, which is OK by me. I use the Green Mana die with Concentration and Swiftness for Range Attack 5 so I kill them before they can Summon anything. That gets me +1 Reputation and +4 Fame, which is not enough for a Level Up. At the end of my turn, I only draw 1 card, hand limit now 5 again away from my Keep. Arythea draws 4 for the third turn in a row, she has 6 cards left. I have a max of four turns left this Day.

Mana Pool:
Blue, Blue.

Turn 4: I really want to use this Altar at this Ancient Site for the 7 fame, but I have just two Red Mana Crystals and no other way to get Red Mana right now. I can't wait for it. I use the Blue Mana die plus Magic Talent and one of the two Red Mana Crystals (ugh!) to get the Spell Demolish from the Spell Offering. It goes into my Discard pile though. I decide to play Rage and Threaten sideways for Move 2 so I can explore my first Core tile to the north. It turns out to be the Level 5 Green City. That tile also contains Rampaging Cursed Hags and Rampaging Wolf Riders, a Village and a Magical Glade. The Level 5 green City has two brown tokens and a white token guarding it and whatever they are, they will all have Poison Attack. I can attack the Hags from where I am standing. Using Determination and the Blue Mana die off of the Mana Steal Tactics card, I generate the needed Block 5 to stop their attack. Then I use Utem Swordsmen for 6 Attack to kill them (giving the Swordsmen a Wound). +1 Reputation, +3 Fame DOES give me a Level Up this time.

At the end of my turn, I take the Deadly Aim Skill (once every turn, get +1 to ANY Ranged/Seige Attack or +2 to ANY Attack) and the Frost Bridge Advanced Action. I played all five cards so I draw five more and only have 1 left. Arythea draws 5 cards, she has 1 left.

Mana Pool:
Blue, Blue, White.

Turn 5: I use the Herbalists to gain a Green Mana token which I use with March and Frost Bridge to generate Move 6 with Swamp spaces only costing 1 MP. On my way to explore another Core tile, I first move by the Green City to expose that the guardians are a Gargoyle, a Crypt Worm, and Altem Mages. On the other side of me, the Keep there holds ShockTroops. I advance to the Swamp space and explore into the next tile. It is a NON-City tile with a Wall spitting it in half. Behind the Wall are a Mage Tower, a Labryinth, and a Rampaging Lava Dragon. In front of the Wall is a Refugee Camp. That could come in handy. From where I am, I can also attack the Rampaging Wolf Riders to the north as well. I use the White Mana die and Swift Reflexes and my new Deadly Aim Skill to generate Range Attack 4, killing the Wolf Riders for +1 Reputation and +3 Fame, not enough for another Level Up yet. With that, all I have left is a Wound and an Improvisation that I can't use so that will be the end of Day Two.

Now the board looks like this (where I began the game is at the TOP of the map:

On one hand, the foes in the Green City look impossible to beat right now and that's the Level 5 City! I can only imagine what is in the Level 8 city! On the other hand, the game is only half over and I still have half a game to go and only one more City to find. So I should have time to build up my forces enough. I hope!!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up(s)! Wish I could be so complete and yet concise.

I really came to hate those Crossbowmen. My last game had all 3 show up and they just are so hard to defend against.

When you say "they were Fortified anyway" about missing the wall between you and the marauders - what do you mean? Were they a Fortified enemy? Because they can be double fortified, which just means you can't even do Siege warfare against them in the Siege/Range phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: Fair warning before you continue reading all the rest of this. It was pointed out to me on the SGOYT list where this post first appeared that I placed the tile that ends up containing the Blue City below in an illegal placement position. I THOUGHT I had checked all the rules regarding placement of Core tile, but silly me was looking under, you know, the rules for Movement, where the only restrictions for Core tiles that are mentioned is that they must be adjacent to two other tiles. No reference to "Oh yeah, there's an exception for Wedge Maps." No pointer to anyplace else. The restriction I violated is stuck under General Principles -> Map Shapes -> Wedge Map. I've already finished the whole game so I'm not undoing it, but if it bothers you, you can skip the rest of the post(s).

This was the position at the end of DAY TWO:

And this is what my tableau looks like at the start of NIGHT TWO (There is/should be a Wound card on my Utem Swordsmen, forgot before I took the picture):

We now start NIGHT TWO.

NIGHT TWO:

Map: See the image above. My intentions at the start of this evening are to take that Keep nearby and use it as a staging area to attack the Green City. I also plan to explore the next Core tile in that empty area where I show the Green City card above and then loop around that Forest to see if I can hit the White Crystal Mine/Village/Altar at Ancient Site (I'm determined to get that 7 Fame sitting there.) Let's see how it goes in practice!

Mana Pool:
Red, Red, Red

Tactics: I decide to take 4 - Midnight Meditation for a lot of the same reason I took 3 - Mana Steal during the Day. First off, I don't like my opening hand with Influence and Heal when I want Movement and Attack to start and this card will let me try to swap those out. Then there's a 2/3 chance that Arythea will go first this turn, but I get will get 6 - Sparing Power on the final Night (useful for final assault on city/cities) OR 1/3 chance she picks Sparing Power and I go first on the final Round. She picks 1 - From the Dusk so she goes first but I will get Sparing Power next time.

Turn 1: Arythea goes first and draws 5 cards. She has 14 left. I use Midnight Meditation right away, discard 3 cards and get much better cards in return. I use the Red Mana die with Crystalize to get a Red Mana Crystal to inventory. I use Improvisation and discard March to get Move 3 to assault the Keep which has ShockTroops in it. They are one of the new Units from Lost Legion and they are Unfortified which means instead of staying behind the walls of the Keep, they rush out to meet you. With a White Mana Crystal from inventory and Swift Reflexes, they rush right out into a Range Attack 3 and die. That gets me 3 Fame and a second conquered Keep, but no Level Up yet. At the end of my turn, I draw up to 7 cards (with 2 Keeps).

Mana Pool:
Red, Red, White.

Turn 2: Arythea draws 4 cards, she has 10 left. I use Heal to get rid of the Wound in my hand. I use the Red Mana die and Offering to get another Red Mana Crystal to inventory. That's all I do this turn. I draw 3 back up to 7.

Mana Pool:
Red, Red, White

Turn 3: Arythea draws 5 cards and she now has 5 cards left. I flip my Motivation skill and draw 2 more cards. I have 9 cards in hand now and I REALLY want go take on that Green City but after looking at every permutation of using those 9 cards for about 30 minutes, I decide I need to hold off for now. Too much Poison and not enough Block no matter how I slice it right now. I really could have used a healed Utem Swordsmen. I DO end up using all but one of the 9 cards this turn though. Ready for this? Hold on to your britches! LOL

I use the White Mana Die and Mana Draw to take one of the Red Mana dice and set it to Blue. That gets me two Blue Mana tokens. I use one Blue Mana Token and Tirelessness and Swiftness and Threaten played sideways to generate Move 8. I can get to the White Crystal Mine AND explore one more Core tile on the way. I move into the Hills and explore to find the Level 8 Blue City tile. In addition to the City with it's two Purple and two White token guardians, the tile holds a Rampaging Dragon Summoner and a Monastery. Now if I finish my move to the White Crystal Mine, I am going to provoke that Dragon Summoner into attacking me and he summons TWO Brown monsters to attack me, has 8 Armor with both Physical Resistance AND Magical Resistance (so I can't use my Demolish Spell on him).

I decide to go for it anyway. The Dragon summons a Minotaur and a Werewolf (UGH!!) I can block the Minotaur with the second Blue Mana token I got from Mana Draw and Determination for Block 5. But there's no way I'm coming up with 14 block for the Werewolf so I have to take 7 Damage! I assign 2 Damage to the Herbalists. With my Armor at 3, I take 2 Wound cards into my hand from the spillover 5 damage. I use Magic Talent (discarding the useless Demolish to cast a Red Spell from the Spell Offering) and use a Red Mana Crystal from inventory to fire up Flame Wall for Flame Attack 5, to which I use my Deadly Aim Skill (+2 to ANY Attack) for 7 Flame Attack plus Rage (2 Attack halved to 1 by Physical Resistance) to get 8 Attack to defeat the Dragon Summoner!!! That gets me +2 Reputation and +9 Fame for a Level Up. Woot! At the end of my Turn, I get a White Mana Crystal from the Mine. My hand size is now up to six and I draw 3 cards (since I played 8 of 9 cards but took 2 Wounds).

Mana Pool:
Blue, Blue, Red.

Turn 4: Arythea draws 4 cards, she only has 1 left now. Plenty of time for me really. I use Stamina for Move 2 to go to the nearby Village. I use Concentration for a White Mana Crystal and Promise for enough Influence to use 1 point of Healing to heal my Herbalists. I draw my last 2 cards into my had.

Mana Pool:
Blue, Blue, Red.

Turn 5: Arythea draws her last card. I use a Blue Mana die and Frost Bridge to generate Move 4 and Swamps cost 1 this turn. To that, I use the newly healed Herbalists to generate a Green Mana Token that I use to power up March for Move 4 and play Rage sideways for a total of Move 9. With Swamps only costing one point, I use the 9 Movement to get to the Magical Glade near the Ancient Site with the Altar I've been eyeing forever! At the end of my turn, I use the healing powers of the Glade to remove the last wound from my hand and declare this evening is over. Then I will start a new Day on this Glade to get a Gold Mana token and go claim that Altar!

For the last two rounds of the game, it looks like Day Three will be: Altar, Keep, Recruit, assualt Green City and whatever else I can accomplish. (He said most hopefully!)

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdarnold wrote:
Nice write up(s)! Wish I could be so complete and yet concise.

Thank you!

jdarnold wrote:
I really came to hate those Crossbowmen. My last game had all 3 show up and they just are so hard to defend against.

I don't like them but I hate the Werewolves even more!

jdarnold wrote:
When you say "they were Fortified anyway" about missing the wall between you and the marauders - what do you mean? Were they a Fortified enemy? Because they can be double fortified, which just means you can't even do Siege warfare against them in the Siege/Range phase.

I just meant that since Digger Orcs have the Fortified trait on their own, and I didn't have Seige Attack OR Range Attack, it didn't matter that the Wall was there or not for Combat. I was going to have to Block them/take Damage and then kill them in the Attack Phase no matter what.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the position at the end of NIGHT TWO:

And this is what my tableau looks like at the start of DAY THREE:

We now start DAY THREE.

DAY THREE:

Map: See the image above. It looks like Day Three will be: Altar, Keep, Recruit, assualt Green City and whatever else I can accomplish. (He said most hopefully!)

Mana Pool:
White, White, Green

Tactics: Unlike Night's Tactics card, Midnight Meditation, the Day's equivalent of 2 - Rethink has to be done right when it is taken, where MM can be done on any turn. Since I actually like my opening hand for what I plan to do AND choosing 1 - Early Bird will let me go first again this Round, I choose Early Bird and let Arythea take Rethink.

Turn 1: I get a Gold Mana token for starting a Day turn on the Magical Glade. I use the Green Mana die and the Herbalists for Heal 2 to heal my Level 2 Utem Swordsmen. I use Tranquility to Heal the 1 Wound in my hand. I use Improvisation (discarding Mana Draw) to Move 3 to the Ancient Site with the Altar. There I use 2 Red Mana Crystals from inventory and the Gold Mana token as Red to pray at the Altar and get 7 Fame. That gets me a Level Up. At the end of my turn, I take the Skill, Know Your Prey, which, once a round, will let me cancel any one enemy's attribute (Poison, Brutal, Fire Resistance, etc) except Magical Resistance. Since I want to recruit another Unit at least, for my Advanced Action, I take Heroic Tale. I draw 4 cards up to six. Arythea draws 4 cards on her turn, she has 16 left.

Mana Pool:
Blue, White, White.

Turn 2: I flip my Motivation Skill for an extra two cards and +1 Fame. I use the Blue Mana Die and Stamina and Swift Reflexes and March for Move 8 to be able to get back to my Keep. Once there, I use a White Mana Crystal from inventory with Heroic Tale and Influence and my +1 for Reputation to generate Influence 9 and I recruit Fire Golems. At the end of my turn, Heroic Tale gets me +1 Reputation and +1 Fame. I draw five cards up to 8 (hand size 6 + 2 captured Keeps). Arythea draws 5 cards and has 11 left.

NOTE: I had been forgetting about being eligible for the +1 Fame with the Motivation Skill until I read it in the FAQ before playing this turn. I adjusted my Fame score for the previous times I used it as it didn't affect any results up until now except maybe slowing down a Level Up or two.

Mana Pool:
Blue, White, White

Turn 3: I use a Blue Mana die and Crystalize for a Red Mana Crystal to inventory. At the end of my turn, I also discard Promise and draw 2 cards back up to 8. Arythea draws 4 cards and has 7 left.

Mana Pool:
White, White, Black (depleted).

Turn 4: I use Tirelessness and March and Frost Bridge to generate Move 7 where Swamps only cost 1 MP. I use that to race around the Green City to the Magical Glade on the other side of it. (See above where the Glade is.) End of my turn, I draw one card to get six. Arythea draws 4 cards, she has three left which means I have, at most, three turns left.

Mana Pool:

Turn 5: (OK, this is one of those 30+ minute turns, where I worked it out I don't know how many times until I found the right combination.) I take a Gold Mana Crystal from the Magical Glade at the start of my turn. I use Swiftness for Move 2 to assault the Green City (-1 Reputation). I use the Gold Mana token as Red mana and cast Demolish, which removes all Site Fortifications and gives all enemies -1 Armor. I use my Know Your Prey skill to change the ColdFire Attack of the Altem Mages into an Ice Attack only. I use a Red Mana Crystal from inventory, the Fire Golems use Range Fire Attack 4 to kill the Armor-reduced not-Fortified Gargoyle. One down, two to go. I use Magic Talent (discarding Offering) and the last Red Mana Crystal from my inventory to cast Burning Shield from the Spell Offering. That gives me Fire Block 4 which blocks the now Ice Attack of the Altem Mages AND since it was a successful Block, Burning Shield can be used for Fire Attack 4 in the Attack Phase. That leaves the Crypt Worm's attack. I let the now spent Fire Golems (with their Physical Resistance and Armor of 4) take the Worm's six damage for One Wound (which turns into Two Wounds because all enemies at the Green City have Poison Attack).

Burning Shield now turns into Fire Attack 4 which I boost to Fire Attack 6 by using my Deadly Aim skill to add 2 to any kind of Attack. On top of that I add Determination for Attack 2 (which gets reduced to Attack 1 by Altem Mages Physical Resistance) for a total of Attack 7 against the Armor reduced Mages and kill them. Then my Utem Swordsmen use Attack 6 (taking one Wound in the process) to kill the Armor reduced Crypt Worm. All Enemies DEFEATED! The CITY IS MINE! LOL That gives me +17 Fame and another Level Up, which brings my Armor value to 4 (still six hand size). Hand size doesn't matter now as I draw my last 2 cards. Arythea draws her last 3 cards.

Mana Pool:

Turn 6: I use Concentration and Rage sideways as 2 Influence and add 1 Influence for my Reputation and another 3 Influence for the three tokens I now have on the Green City. I use that 6 Influence to buy the Advanced Action, Diplomacy (the action you can take at the conquered Green City). At the end of my turn I draw that Diplomacy card and Arythea declares End of Round on her turn.

Mana Pool:

Turn 7: I use the White Mana die and my newly drawn Diplomacy and my +3 as City Leader and +1 for my Reputation to get 8 Influence with which my final action of this third Day is to recruit Amotep Gunners as my fourth Unit. Whew! What a day! Conquered a City and squeezed something out of every turn!

You will all probably be happy (as happy as my wife will be to get the dining room table clear of this game) to hear that there is only ONE MORE POST in this series. Stick around (or not!) to see if I can take that final Blue City and win the game!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic. It got me to break out my copy again after a long hiatus. I just finished the introductory scenario to refresh myself on the rules. Tomorrow I'll do a full conquest. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to say this has me thinking the EXACT same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves St-Denis
Switzerland
Basel
BS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

DocSavage2001 wrote:
You will all probably be happy (as happy as my wife will be to get the dining room table clear of this game) to hear that there is only ONE MORE POST in this series. Stick around (or not!) to see if I can take that final Blue City and win the game!

Can't wait to see the conquest of the Blue City!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YJASTD wrote:

DocSavage2001 wrote:

2 weeks oh nooo.....looks like the Blue City won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MysteryMan_007_007 wrote:
YJASTD wrote:

DocSavage2001 wrote:

2 weeks oh nooo.....looks like the Blue City won!

Doh! Can't believe I forgot to post my epic last turn here! Coming up next!

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: It was pointed out to me that I placed the tile that ends up containing the Blue City below in an illegal placement position. I've already finished the whole game so I'm not undoing it but I do like to point out where I've made errors for people following along and am thankful to those who DO point them out to me.

This was the position at the end of DAY THREE, my character mini is standing on the conquered Green City. The starting tile is at the top of the picture. No ending photo of the map because it never changes from this:

And this is what my tableau looks like at the start of the final NIGHT THREE:

We now start NIGHT THREE. Two of my four Units are Wounded, and I have no Mana Crystals in reserve. I have to take on the Level 8 Blue City somehow before this Night is over.

NIGHT THREE:

Map: See the image above. I need to Recruit to replace my Wounded Fire Golems, it will be cheaper than paying Heal 6 to fix them up. But even though I have +3 Influence here in the Green City where I am starting, none of the Units available in the Unit Offer can be recruited in cities! I will have to stop at my Keep (and perhaps the Monastery next to the Blue City) on my way to the Blue City.

Mana Pool:
Blue, White, Green

Tactics: Since it's still available, even though it means Arythea will go first this Round, I take 6 - Sparing Power over 2 - Long Knight. I'm going to try to save up all the cards I can for the final assault on the Blue City (I don't even know what's in there yet).

Turn 1: Arythea draws 6 cards on her turn, she has 15 left. (Thanks a lot, A!) I put a card under Sparing Power. I use a White Mana Die and Mana Draw to convert the Green Mana Die into two Green Mana Tokens to power two March cards for Movement 8 to get to my Keep on one turn. I don't have enough Influence yet though, so I'm done and draw 3 cards up to 8.

Mana Pool:
Blue, Green, Black.

Turn 2: Arythea draws 4 cards and has 11 left. I put a card under Sparing Power. Thankfully, I got all my White Influence cards after that last draw. I use Heroic Tale and Promise and Diplomacy plus 1 from my current Reputation to recruit Ice Golems and appropriately, I disband my double Wounded Fire Golems to free up the space. I use the Green Mana Die and the Heal 2 power of my Herbalists to Heal the Utem Swordsmen. At the end of my turn, I get +1 Reputation from Heroic Tale and I draw back up to 8 cards at my Keep.

Mana Pool:
Blue, White, Black.

Turn 3: Arythea draws 5 cards and has just 6 left. I put a card under Sparing Power. I use a Blue Mana die and Tirelessness and Swiftness and Frost Bridge to generate Move 10 (with Swamps costing 1) and use 8 of the 10 to move to the Monastery. That leaves me with Move 2 left over in case I decide to take an initial crack at the Blue City this turn. Once I see what's in there, I decide to stay at the Monastery! (You can still see what's in a City at Night from an adjacent space.) Inside the Blue City, waiting for me, are the Delphana Masters, Grim Legionnaires, Monks, and Magic Familiars. We'll take a closer look below after the turn. For now, I flip my Motivation Skill for two cards and +1 Fame. Maybe I'll get something that makes me want to go into the City, but more importantly, that +1 Fame gives me a Level Up. After looking at my choice of Wolfhawk Skills, I decide to actually take Arythea's Burning Power Skill (+1 Seige or +1 Fire Seige) from the Common Skill Offer and take the bottom card of the Advanced Action Offer, Decompose, which I was going to take anyway. Since I have 7 cards and am not currently close enough to my Keep, I don't draw any cards at the end of turn.

Interlude: Let's take a closer look at the enemies I have to defeat in the Blue City to win the game...

Delphana Masters - defintely the main threat. In the Blue City, they have ColdFire 6 Attack which needs 12 Block or 6 ColdFire Block, which I won't have. They don't have Physical Resistance, but are Fortified inside the City and DO have both Fire and Ice Resistance. If I don't Block or Kill them in the Seige/Range Attack phase, they have Assasinate AND Paralysis. (I take ALL the Damage and have to discard all my non-Wound cards before the Attack Phase.)

Grim Legionnaires - They do 11 Damage and have Armor 10 and have Magic Resistance so Demolish won't reduce their Armor. They are unfortified so if I can find Range Attack 10, I could avoid the damage...

Monks - Not too bad, but they do have Poison.

Magic Familiars - Also Unfortified like the Legionnaires, but they have TWO Attacks of 3 apiece with Brutal Damage. So, if they get to Damage phase, that's 12 Damage, even more than the Legionnaires!

Mana Pool:
Red, White, Black.

Turn 4: Arythea draws 5 cards and has only 1 left. I put a card under Sparing Power. I use the Red Mana Die and Threaten plus 1 from my Reputation for a total of 6 Influence and take Fire Bolt Advanced Action from the Monastery's Advanced Action Offer. I still have six cards in hand, so I don't draw again. Thankfully, all the Actions I have been taking have been going under the Sparing Power card.

Mana Pool:
Blue, White, Black.

Turn 5: Arythea draws her final card. She's out and will be declaring End of Round next turn. I put a card under Sparing Power. I use the Blue Mana Die and Crystalize to put a Red Mana Crystal (my only one) in my Inventory. I finally get to draw a card for the first turn in three turns.

Mana Pool:
Green, White, Black.

Turn 6: Arythea declares End of Round on her turn. This is it. I can't stall or build up forces or cards any longer. This is my final turn in the game and I have to conquer that Blue City or die trying!

I flip Sparing Power and take five cards into my hand for a total of 11 cards, one Red Mana Crystal, and three Ready Units for the ultimate battle.

First things first, Stamina for Move 2 to enter the Blue City. I use Decompose and throw away (who cares! Final turn!) Improvisation to get me 2 more Red Mana Crystals for a total of 3. I use my Know Your Prey Skill to remove Fire Resistance from the Delphana Masters. I use one of the Red Mana Crystals to cast Demolish to remove the City's Fortification bonus and give -1 Armor to everyone except the Grim Legionnaires (with their Magic Resistance). (Note that without the Know Your Prey Skill, the Delphana Masters would have been immune to this -1 Armor effect as well. Since the removal of the Fortification bonus affects the City, not the Delphana Masters, they are now exposed to Range Attacks as well.)

Seige/Range Attack Phase
: I use the Green Mana Die and Concentration and use Swift Reflexes for Range Attack 5 plus 1 Range Attack from my Deadly Aim Skill plus 1 Seige Attack from Arythea's Burning Power Skill for a total of 7 Range Attack and kill the deadly armor-weakened, unfortified Delphana Masters before they can strike. I use my second Red Mana Crystal to power the Amotep Gunners Range Fire Attack 6 to kill the armor-weakened Magic Familiars. Two of the defending forces are down. I just have the Monks and the Grim Legionnaires to deal with now.

Block Phase: I use Magic Talent (discarding Offering) and my last Red Mana Crystal to cast Burning Shield from the Spell Offering for Fire Block 4 plus Block 2 from Determination to Block the Attack from the Monks. That means I cannot Block the Legionnaires and will have to take 11 Damage. (The Legionnaires Attack and the Monks Attack are both Physical so they don't get any bonus Attack from the City abilities.)

Assign Damage Phase: I have the spent Amotep Gunners take 6 Damage and a Wound. I have the spent Herbalists take 2 Damage and a Wound. I take 3 Damage (Armor 3) and I get one Wound. Not so bad!

Attack Phase: I use the Fire Bolt to get a fourth Red Mana Crystal and use that to power Rage for Attack 4 and add my Ice Golems Ice Attack 3 for 7 Damage to kill the Monks. Finally, the Utem Swordsmen take a Wound to provide Attack 6 and since Burning Shield was part of a successful Block in the Block phase, I can now use it for Fire Attack 4 in the Attack phase. That gives me 10 Attack to kill the Grim Legionnaires! THE BLUE CITY IS CONQUERED!

(This turn took me longer than the assault on the Green City last round. I tried out so many different things, then unwound them all and started over again, until I finally found the above combination! I'd say a good 45 minutes AT LEAST.)

My Final Scoring:
89 - Fame
4 - Two Spells
6 - Three Advanced Actions
0 - No Arifacts or Crystals in Inventory
5 - Units (1 for wounded Utem Swordsmen, 0 for wounded Herbalists, 3 for Ice Golems,
1 for wounded Amotep Gunners)
6 - Two Keeps and a Mage Tower conquered
2 - One Ancient Ruins
-2 - One Wound
20 - Two Cities Conquered
15 - All Cities Conquered
--------------------------
145 Total
(never beat it before so no idea how good a score this is)

thumbsup Complex, engaging play that really puts your brain to work
thumbsup Epic cinematic conclusion that most solo games lack
thumbsup Great sense of accomplisment when you win
thumbsup Totally different every time with so many combinations of cards, tiles, monsters

thumbsdown Takes up my whole gaming table for multiple days
thumbsdown Poorly organized rulebook for such a complex game means you WILL miss things if you've been away awhile. Or even if you haven't!
thumbsdown I would NEVER play this multi-player! Or at least I would never play multi-player with ME as one of the players! I take too long!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great write up and thrilling finish.

I haven't played in a Loooooong time but I think 145 is respectable.
I know I had managed some scores into the 200's...but I have also outright lost as well (lets not talk about those ).

As for not playing multi-player I have played the co-operative version of that and I liked it as much as the solo. It's weird but the competitive standard version just doesn't call to me nearly as much.

Thanks for the writeup...I feel like I need to go pull m game off the shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your detailed write-up! I seldom take Wolfhawk, it was nice to see her in action. The "Know your Prey" skill is inarguably her best out there.

DocSavage2001 wrote:
Turn 5: I use Magic Talent (discarding the White card, Promise) to cast Call to Arms out of the Spell Offering. That lets me use the ability of Peasants in the Unit Offering to generate Move 2 which is enough to let me explore the next tile. (Stuff like this is why I love Mage Knight... )
Sounds a hefty price for Move 2. Why not just play Magic Talent and Promise sideways for move 2? You would had spared the white mana for the spell.

A word on the rulebook: it's actually VERY good. Each piece of information is exactly where it's supposed to be. Not easy to read while in combat, but you know where to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field . . . will he not much more clothe you? (NIV)
mbmbmbmbmb
DocSavage2001 wrote:
I originally posted the items in this thread in the Solitaire Games on Your Table thread for November 2016. I busted out my Mage Knight box of goodies (Thank you, Harbor Freight sales, I think I got this PERFECT box for like $4.99 or something.):

That is a very handy box, indeed. It works beautifully for Le Havre too--you can just pop out those yellow cups and arrange them any way you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No other game I own, builds up to a truly epic climax at the end like Mage Knight does.

Tonight, I had another one of those experiences with this game that just left me totally mentally exhausted and totally satisfied in a way that I just don't get with other games.

Here was my situation at the end of Day 3 of the Solo Conquest scenario with Wolfhawk from the Lost Legion expansion (I was playing her in honor of the Wonder Woman movie coming out this week). I had only this one last Night round to conquer the Green Poison City which had four enemies to conquer, two Brown and two White. I am starting in the Blue City with three Units, one wounded (that I would never heal).

This turn I AM going to break down into detail, because it was just so awesome. Final, absolute turn (Dummy player had declared End of Round), I used EVERY card I had and EVERY Skill I had and defeated the enemies with the EXACT number I needed. Not one point less, not one point more. Amazing! (I DID have to redo that last turn when I realized I forgot something again, but I still managed to pull it off. I'll explain below. But that final final turn maybe took me 45 minutes to figure out to get it to work.)

At the start of the final Night round, I had my work cut out for me. It didn't see worth it to Heal my one Wounded Unit, so I only had two Units with me to take on the Green City. I was at my conquered Blue City and a Monastery is right near by, but the only three Units on offer for this Night Round can ONLY be recruited at a Mage Tower or Keep. Ugh! No Mage Towers anywhere around and the nearest Keep at the top of the map is behind a bunch of enemies.

TACTICS: Even though it doesn't do anything, I HAD to take From the Dusk (1) instead of Preparation (5) because Goldyx (the Dummy player this time) had four Green Mana Crystals and a lot of Green cards, so I could NOT let him go first. (As it turns out, I was right, I HAD to go first this round.)

First Turn: I use Wings of Wind to fly up to the Deep Mine and take a Blue Mana Crystal at the end of the turn. It's not in the picture above, but there was an unexplored Keep token there in the space right below the Deep Mine.

Second Turn: Don't know what's in it (and I don't even remember now) but I need to Recruit a Unit from the Keep and I have to enter and Assault it sight unseen. Whatever it was, I beat it and got enough Fame to go up a level and make room for a fourth Unit, which I can now recruit. I do take a Wound in the Combat, but I use my once a Round Skill (forget the name) to Heal 1 and get a White Mana Crystal to inventory.

Third Turn: I stay at the Keep (drawing up to 7 cards) and Recruit the Fire Golems.

Fourth Turn: I use Underground Travel to get back to the Monastery next to my conquered City. I use the Spell that lets me throw away a card to get three Mana Crystals, one of each color NOT of the thrown away card. I throw away a Green move card to get Blue, Red, and White Mana Crystals. Mostly I'm burning some cards because I need to draw a card with Influence at end of turn, which I have plenty now, because I need one more Advanced Action from the Monastery. Thankfully, being next to my City, I can draw up to 8 cards and get some Influence.

Dummy Player Goldyx draws his last cards. His Deeds deck is empty now.

Fifth Turn: I learn Counterattack from the Monastery's Advanced Action offer.

Dummy Player Goldyx declares End of Round. It's now or never, I have to assault the Green City this sixth and final turn. I have 8 cards, three unwounded unspent Units and a handful of Mana Crystals to do it.

SIXTH AND FINAL TURN:
First, I have to get to the Green City. Then, when I get there, I have to defeat:

Minotaur: Brutal Attack 5, Armor 5
Werewolf: Swift Attack 7, Armor 5
Freezers: Swift Ice Attack 3, Armor 7 w/ Fire Resistance
Gunners: Brutal Fire Attack 6, Armor 6 w/ Ice Resistance

The bad news is they are all fortified and I have NO Seige Attack at all (well, I have ONE point of Seige Attack on a Skill, but it's 2 Attack if I use it in the Attack phase). The good news is four enemies and not a single one of them has Physical Resistance! I just have to survive their attacks and scrounge up 23 points of Attack!

Here's my 8 cards I used and how:

1) I use a White Mana Crystal to cast Swift Reflexes which I use for Move 4 and reduce the Swift Ice Attack of the Freezers from 3 to 1. I will still need 4 Block to block a Swift Ice Attack of value 1. (Double for Swift and double again for Ice.)
NOTE: I screwed this up on my first try at this turn. I remembered the one doubling effect, but not the other so my first attempt only had 2 Block from Rage. Then I realized my mistake and had to unwind the whole turn and figure it out all over again!

2) I use Steady Tempo with a Blue Mana Crystal for Move 4. That gives me Move 8 which gets me through the Forest (at Night it costs 5 instead of 3) and into the Green City!

3) I use Concentration to get a Red Mana Token.

4) I use the Advanced Action Intimidate for Influence 4 to convince the Unit Heroes to use their abilities in this City Assault. I don't worry about the drop in Reputation now!

4) I use Advanced Action Shield Bash and a Blue Mana Crystal for Block 5. That blocks the Minotaur's Brutal Attack from doing 10 Damage and blocks one enemy so far.

5) I use the Heroes and a Blue Mana die from the Mana Pool for Cold Fire Block 8 which blocks the Brutal Fire Attack 6 of the Gunners. Both the Brutal attacks have been blocked, and two enemies so far.

6) I use Wolfhawk's Dueling Skill to get Block 1 against the Freezers and add the Fire Golems Block 3 to generate a total of Block 4 to block the Swift Ice Attack 1 (modified from 3 by Swift Reflexes). Three enemies blocked.

7) I have to let the Werewolf deal his 7 Damage. The Fire Golems have Armor 4 with Physical Resistance, so they can soak his entire Attack of 7, but take two Wounds in the process. (Normally, it would be one Wound, but the Green City deals Poison and since end game scoring doesn't care how many Wounds a Unit has to consider it Wounded, let the Fire Golems take it all.)

I've now gotten through both the Block and Damage phases using ALL my Units, and five of my 8 cards. Now to come up with 23 Attack!

8) Rage plus a Red Mana Crystal gives me Attack 4, Total 4.

9) The Attack portion of Wolfhawk's Dueling Skill adds Attack 1, Total 5.

10) Wolfhawk's Deadly Aim Skill adds Attack 2, Total 7.

11) Swiftness and a White Mana Crystal gives me Ranged Attack 3, Total 10.

12) and then the Coup De Grace... Counterattack with a Red Mana Token from Concentration earlier in the turn. Counterattack provides Attack 4 plus Attack 3 for every enemy you blocked this turn. With 3 enemies blocked, that gave me a total of Attack 13 from this one card, which JUST made my TOTAL 23 ATTACK! Wow!

This is my second time in a row winning Solo Conquest with Wolfhawk, my Wonder Woman of Mage Knight! I fell 11 points short of my 145 total from last game though...

75 - Fame
4 - Two Spells
7 - Seven Advanced Actions
0 - No Artifacts, No Mana Crystals in Inventory
7 - Units (1 for wounded Fire Golems, 1 for wounded Utem Crossbowmen, 3 for Heroes,
2 for Illusionists)
4 - One Keep and one Mage Tower conquered
2 - One Dungeon
0 - NO Wounds!
20 - Two Cities Conquered
15 - All Cities Conquered
--------------------------
134 Total

I was going to consider playing a second game of Mage Knight in a row, but I have to just sit back and savor this again for a few weeks I think! LOL

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.