Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to start a new campaign this weekend, and I'll most likely be the Imperial player because I'm the most experienced (I've played Rebel for one full campaign; one other player has played a few scenarios as Rebel, and the other three haven't played at all, and I'm by far the most experienced among us at board games in general).

Knowing this and anticipating a game that isn't super competitive, I thought I'd ask - are any imperial class decks vastly superior to others? Because I think it'd be better for me to not play the very strongest deck (I may be the most experienced, but I don't know if I could go easy on them without appearing to be doing so). And are there any agenda sets that are just plain unfun or super strong? And what about on the rebel side? Any heroes unsuitable for new players?

I own, and have included the content from, Twin Shadows and Return to Hoth (but no ally/villain packs other than the core Luke and Vader "packs"), so ideally I'd like to read some comments about all the content I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I am currently playing military might in our campaign. It is definitely works more for stormtroopers. I have not played technological superiority or subversive tactics plus the others in the other boxes. I have heard that subversive tactics really makes it hard for the rebels to win. I have only won two missions out of our first campaign because the rebel figures are really powerful because of the cards that they have. To be honest we did some things wrong in this campaign during the upgrade stage so that is why. I may revisit the deck at a later date. As far as the agenda cards. I can't really recommend any one in particular. I would do a google search or search on FFG's web forums about it. There could be some information about the class decks and agenda sets to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall Tech Superiority to be the weakest in the CORE set.

If you wanted to go light on they you could choose to give the Imperials less threat than the book indicates. I found this to be the easiest method to level the playing field without them knowing. Imperial lost a bit more this, I think it's okay as some players feel too demoralized otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Twin Shadows. It has a great Star Wars feel (Han Solo and one other famous figure in the very first mission), and you can burn through the whole campaign pretty quickly (only 4 missions, can be done in a weekend). It's very fun and satisfying for both sides we've found. If they are new players, you might need to pick the starting 3XP skills for them (they tend to not know the rules well enough to know what to or not to pick).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
In terms of what class deck to use, I'm very partial to Precision Training being a fun, thematic deck that has some good power but doesn't tilt the scales against the rebels. It's probably not quite as good as Military Might and isn't anywheres near as infuriating as Subversive Tactics. Other candidates in the fun-but-not-too-good realm are Tech Superiority and Inspiring Leadership.

Hope you enjoy the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I'm definitely staying away from Subversive Tactics this time. Thanks, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.