Subject: How does the common die work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Deadlock
Canada
Estevan
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
The rules don't really explain how the common dice works.

Its clear it gets rolled when everyone does... It doesn't say that only one person can choose and use it each round, it mentions something about it happening "often" that the common dice will be activated more than once by multiple players?

So is it an option for each player to also use the common dice, or does only one person get to choose and use it (i guess always the first player if its positive?) Or does everyone always use the common die for their turn?

Or the other possibility is that only one player is controlling it at a time, and only because of using "the window"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,
TheBeefiest wrote:
The rules don't really explain how the common dice works.

Fair enough. Let's break it down...

The common die is a die that you can claim and add to your die pool by using an effect (Like "The Window" core card) that lets you "claim" the common die.

TheBeefiest wrote:
It's clear it gets rolled when everyone does...
To clarify: You roll it at the very start of the game - just after everyone has tagged it. It doesn't get rolled again unless it's part of a player's die pool.

That, "until it's part of a player's die pool," is a key thing. At the start of the game, the common die is *uncontrolled* – no-one has it.

TheBeefiest wrote:
It doesn't say that only one person can choose and use it each round, it mentions something about it happening "often" that the common dice will be activated more than once by multiple players?
Ah, this hinges on The Window - one of the five core cards. The Window says (among other things) to add the common die to your die pool. If you, an avocado, and I are playing BWD, and each of us activate The Window on our turns, the common die will bounce from player to player. Since you must resolve all of your dice before the end of your turn, each one of us will resolve the common die (That's where that bit about the common die resolving multiple times came from.).

TheBeefiest wrote:
So is it an option for each player to also use the common dice, or does only one person get to choose and use it (i guess always the first player if its positive?) Or does everyone always use the common die for their turn?
The only player who gets to use the common die is the player who controls it. Rephrased: If the common die is in your dice pool at the end of your turn and you have not yet resolved it, you can (and must) resolve it. The most common way for you to get control of the common die is by resolving The Window.

If the common die is not in your dice pool, you don't do anything with it.

TheBeefiest wrote:
Or the other possibility is that only one player is controlling it at a time, and only because of using "the window"?
Yep! This is exactly correct.

The common die starts the game uncontrolled. It just sits there, waiting for someone to claim it.

When you resolve The Window, you roll and claim the common die. It's part of your dice pool until another effect (like someone else resolving The Window) removes it from your dice pool. While it's in your dice pool, it rolls and resolves just like any of your other dice.

With that cleared up, let's talk BWD strategy: The common die is very powerful. If you control it, you (functionally) get 50% more actions per turn than the other players (They resolve two dice per turn while you resolve three.). If it doesn't have a lot of "junk" or "toxic" icons on it, it gives you a huge advantage. Getting control of the common die early in the game and keeping it can be a potent strategy.

Thanks for taking the time to ask for clarification. I really appreciate it! If you have any more BWD questions, I'm happy to help/

Have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter OHara
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan:

We just acquired BWD and played the heck out of it last weekend. Our reaction was very positive.

Concerning the Common Die: I picked up on how strong this could be for the player controlling it, as in 3 actions versus 2 actions a turn. After our first game, we started tagging "the Window" on both dice, so it came up a lot. We never really had a turn where both players (or an avocado) controlled the Common Die in the same turn, but I was wondering what would happen if that happened. Is there a sequence that would determine which player went first with the Common Die? Does it matter?

At the end of using the CD, does it return to uncontrolled status? That would make my previous question not matter so much.

In a two player game, we each marked the CD, then rolled it. We got (understandably given the nature of probability) a blank side. Do we immediately mark the CD like we would any other die?

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm enjoying BWD quite a bit.

V/R

Walt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Walt,

hotspur wrote:
We just acquired BWD and played the heck out of it last weekend. Our reaction was very positive.
I'm glad you're enjoying it! Let's see if I can be helpful...

hotspur wrote:
Concerning the Common Die: I picked up on how strong this could be for the player controlling it, as in 3 actions versus 2 actions a turn. After our first game, we started tagging "the Window" on both dice, so it came up a lot.
Yep!

hotspur wrote:
We never really had a turn where both players (or an avocado) controlled the Common Die in the same turn,
Huh. With two or more players vying for control of the common die, I'd've figured you'd've seen each player roll a Window during the same round at least once. (*shrug*) Oh well...

hotspur wrote:
...but I was wondering what would happen if that happened. Is there a sequence that would determine which player went first with the Common Die? Does it matter?
Sure. Let's walk through it:

• You, an avocado, and I are playing Blank White Dice. The common die is uncontrolled. You're the first player for this round, the avocado is second, and I'm third.
• We all roll our dice. You get The Window and an Erase. The avocado gets The Window and a Re-roll. I get The Window and a Tag.
• You resolve The Window, roll and claim the common die; it comes up with a -2. You resolve your Erase to erase the active -2 on the common die. You resolve the now-blank active face on the common die and tag it with a Tag.
• Now it's the avocado's turn. The avocado resolves The Window, rolls and claims the common die from you; it comes up with a 3. The avocado resolves the 3 and gains 3 points, then uses the Re-roll to force me to re-roll my die with The Window on it (hoping to prevent me from resolving it and taking the common die for myself). My die comes up blank; my active dice have a Tag and a blank face.
• I resolve my Tag and tag my blank die with The Window. I resolve my newly-tagged Window to re-roll and claim the common die; it comes up blank. I resolve the blank on the common die by tagging it with Points (3 and -2). I put the -2 on the common die, filling its last blank face. I have to put the un-tagged 3 somewhere and it wants to stay as close to me as possible (per normal rules for tagging multiple icons from one card), so I tag a blank face on one of my normal dice with the 3. This ends the round.

hotspur wrote:
At the end of using the CD, does it return to uncontrolled status? That would make my previous question not matter so much.
Continuing the example above, the common die stays with me. At the end of the round, first player passes to the avocado and we start the next round. We roll all of our dice, with me rolling my two dice and the common die – everyone else rolls just two dice. If someone other than me resolves The Window, they'll roll and get control of the common die.

It's worth noting that the Loyal Robot card (I'm forgetting its exact name) plays funny games with claiming and retaining control of the common die.

hotspur wrote:
In a two player game, we each marked the CD, then rolled it. We got (understandably given the nature of probability) a blank side. Do we immediately mark the CD like we would any other die?
If you roll a blank face on the common die during setup, refrain from tagging it again.

If someone's controlling the common die, and they have to resolve a blank face on it, then they would tag it (ie: They'd resolve it normally.). When the common die is uncontrolled, it doesn't resolve – whether it's a blank face or an icon – because it does not have a controller; there's never a point during the turn when it would trigger.

Sidetrack: Wouldn't that be a weird variant game? If you're playing with fewer than 4 players, give the common die the unclaimed player's point marker. If the player controlling the common die resolves The Window, they roll the common die and it becomes uncontrolled (Put it on its card.). If the common die is uncontrolled at the end of a round, roll and resolve it. If it gains or loses points, move its score marker accordingly. If it's any other icon or blank, it gains 2 points (instead of resolving the blank face or icon). The common die can end and win the game, just like any other player. If the common die wins and all other players lose. All players should think carefully about the life choices that brought them to this point, then watch the last episode of HBO's Westworld season 1.

hotspur wrote:
Thanks for the clarifications. I'm enjoying BWD quite a bit.
You're welcome. If you have any more thoughts or questions, I'm happy to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter OHara
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. I think we got confused in turn sequencing. The turn sequence says "everyone rolls this at once" so we thought they resolved simultaneously.

Quote:
You, an avocado, and I are playing Blank White Dice. The common die is uncontrolled. You're the first player for this round, the avocado is second, and I'm third.

Where is it stated who goes first and who goes next? I'm puzzled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hotspur wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I think we got confused in turn sequencing. The turn sequence says "everyone rolls this at once" so we thought they resolved simultaneously.

Quote:
You, an avocado, and I are playing Blank White Dice. The common die is uncontrolled. You're the first player for this round, the avocado is second, and I'm third.

Where is it stated who goes first and who goes next? I'm puzzled.
Fair 'nuff. Lemme take a look at the rules.

(*Downloads a copy of the rules from http://wizkids.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/BWD_Rulebook.p... *)

Okay. The second paragraph for Overview of Play on the first page of the rules has a nice overview of the turn sequence and how first player works:

Quote:
At the start of each round, everyone rolls all of their dice. Then each player, starting with the first player and proceeding to the left, resolves all of his or her dice in any order they wish. [*snip*] After everyone resolves his or her dice, check to see if anyone has won the game. If no one has won, pass the first player marker to the left and start a new round.

The rules describe play order in the following spots:

• pg 2, under Setup: "Pick a player to go first. Give that player the starting player marker."
• pg 3, under Main Phase: "Take turns, starting with the starting player. On your turn, resolve your dice one at a time. You may resolve your dice in any order you choose. You must resolve every die you have before you can end your Main Phase."
* pg 5, under Check For Winner Phase: "If the game is not over, the player with the starting player marker must pass it to the left and a new round starts."

To summarize...

A round of Blank White Dice has the following phases:
1) Everyone rolls their dice at the same time.
2) First Phase: Each player resolves first effects on their active dice, starting with the starting player and going clockwise. (Skip this phase if none of the icons in the tableau have First effects.)
3) Main Phase: Each player resolves main phase effects on their active dice, starting with the starting player and going clockwise. (Any effect not explicitly defined as a first, last, always, or ward effect defaults to being a main phase effect. Most icon effects are main phase effect.)
4) Last Phase: Each player resolves last effects on their active dice, starting with the starting player and going clockwise. (Skip this phase if none of the icons in the tableau have Last effects.)
5) Check to see if someone won. If not, pass the starting player marker to the left and start a new round (Go back to step 1. Lather, rinse, repeat.).

I'm glad you asked for clarification. I hope this is helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.