Subject: Which Resistance Expansion... Or One Night Revolution?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so, like many people, I've started burning out on The Resistance. Deception: Murder in Hong Kong fills that niche just fine, but I do really still like The Resistance and the theme, etc, so I was hoping that one of the expansions might spice it up.

Which expansion do you recommend, and why? Or, should I just move on to One Night Revolution? Is that one worth getting into?

I, unfortunately, can't do Ultimate Werewolf or Vampire, so I'm stuck with the Resistance-themed ones (though I really love that theme anyway, so it's not really "stuck").

Anyway... Thoughts??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not playing The Resistance: Avalon, you're missing a whole lot of good stuff, not to mention the best version of the game. The character cards add so much to the interactions.

Another game that's often overlooked in this genre is Blood Bound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
If you're not playing The Resistance: Avalon, you're missing a whole lot of good stuff, not to mention the best version of the game. The character cards add so much to the interactions.

With the newest Resistance expansions, the choice between Resistance and Avalon comes entirely down to preference on theme. I prefer the vanilla Resistance theme, but can't go wrong with either.

The expansion that has assassin module is the one you want. Can't even remember which of the two it is.

One Night Revolution has gotten some mediocre reviews, but I haven't tried it yet. Though I hear it's more similar to ONUW.

Have you considered Dark Moon? Just picked it up myself since I wanted another Resistance type game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor03 wrote:
thedacker wrote:

With the newest Resistance expansions, the choice between Resistance and Avalon comes entirely down to preference on theme. I prefer the vanilla Resistance theme, but can't go wrong with either.

The expansion that has assassin module is the one you want. Can't even remember which of the two it is.

One Night Revolution has gotten some mediocre reviews, but I haven't tried it yet. Though I hear it's more similar to ONUW.

Have you considered Dark Moon? Just picked it up myself since I wanted another Resistance type game.

We have vanilla Resistance with the Hostile Intent/Hidden Agenda expansions. Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten much play since the expansions arrived, and we've only used the Commander (Merlin) module. (I got Coup as an add-on to the Kickstarter, and that got a lot of play at the time.) We also got One Night Revolution about a year ago. It goes in spurts, but has gotten much more play than the Resistance since it arrived. The fast play time really helps. We also have Dark Moon, although that's a recent purchase and only has 1 play. It is a very different beast, since it's a longer play time, but we enjoyed the play and want to play it some more.

So, if you're looking for something fairly quick, One Night Revolution is the way to go. If you want a longer, more immersive experience, check out Dark Moon. I don't know that the Resistance expansions would breathe that much new life into it for you, but it could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I am a big fan of The Resistance and Deception, but I loathe--I mean LOATHE--all of the one-night games. It troubles me to even think they're lumped into the same category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
FWIW, I am a big fan of The Resistance and Deception, but I loathe--I mean LOATHE--all of the one-night games. It troubles me to even think they're lumped into the same category.

May I ask why? I've never played them, so I don't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In The Resistance, you get your role and the game is on. Good players have to keep a poker face throughout, and the meta game builds as the game moves on, making it harder and harder to convince your audience of your claims. The tension in The Resistance is what makes it so much fun.

The One-Night games set out to create a similar experience, in less than 5 minutes. They accomplished the 5-minute part, but that's about it. The game itself removes the tension for me, because when it comes down to it, there's a possibility that players are arguing and acting for one team, while unbeknownst to them, their role has been swapped. During the night, players get to do a number of things, including swapping role cards with others (without them knowing), peeking at others role cards (without them knowing), and a plethora of other things (that add up to what feels like chaos to me). By the end of the night, nobody really knows much at all, because so many changes happened during the night--and nobody can check their role cards in the morning! Then everybody wakes up and they start making accusations, until they finally come to a conclusion on who they want to kill. The problem is, it's not even certain which side you're on any more, so how do you know what to argue for?

Some people like it. But I find it lame that there's no certainty which team you're on until after you make your claims. That makes it disengaging to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense. That does sound pretty crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is right, there is less or no tension in One Night games. It's not attempting to replicate the same experience as Resistance... I own and love both, for different reasons. ONUW is a light, hilarious, not taken seriously game of accusations and "oh man you totally tricked me haha" moments. If you're not laughing maniacally throughout, you're playing it wrong.

Resistance is WAY more tense, and you're basically sweating if you're a spy, trying to keep somewhat of a story or strategy consistent while you bullshit your friends for 25 minutes or so. It's emotionally draining. I do prefer it slightly to ONUW, but I definitely can't play multiple games of it in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on # of players. 7+ avalon. Fewer vanilla resistance. Don't like the vanilla expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.