Pictomania» Forums » General

Subject: Pictomania with 7+ Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering whether Pictomania can support more than the 6 players the game is officially designed for. I will have a group of up to ten who are keen to play - is playing with 7+ people possible?

Here's a suggested way of running it:
Give everybody 2 of each number card (i.e. two '1' cards, two '2' card etc.). Makeshift cards could replace the game's cards.
Have a larger black deck with 2 of each number and 2 of each symbol.
Have 1 extra 1-star bonus token per additional player.
Have 1 extra 1-star scoring token for every player per additional player.
Find extra whiteboards or divide some of the existing whiteboards in half with a line so 2 players draw on the same board.

What do you reckon?

It's not ideal, of course, and could make the game too complicated or difficult. On the other hand, ++craziness could = ++fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 10 people I would only entertain three options, in descending order of preference:

1. Buy an extra copy of the game and play two 5-player games
2. Team Pictomania. Too much communication between teammates would ruin it for everyone else, so you might have to allocation one person to draw and the other person to guess.
3. Create new cards with 10 options, and 10 symbols. This way you're not sharing numbers or symbols. However now you have to keep track of 10 cards and 10 other drawing boards.

In my opinion, doing whacky things like having players share cards or numbers wrecks the balance of the game a bit, you can no longer reasonably deduce options based on what you've already given up. I'm doubtful that anything other than option 1. above is going to be enjoyable. Best to just show it to 5-6 people at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really see this expanding without making up cards with ten symbols and words on it. The words are somewhat related, too, so that is an added challenge.

If you want some drawing fun that scales well to 10 then check out Duplik. We have a blast every time we play it (as we as Pictomania, but we haven't tried to extend that past 6).

Let us know how it goes if you decide to try it. Who know? It might work the way you are thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts, both. I agree that it's probably best not to tamper with the game's maximum of 6 players. We ended up having some people play on teams of 2, taking it in turns to play every other round. Not ideal, but everyone was entertained!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.