$20.00
$60.00
Sean M
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everyone, my group played "Temptation" last night and there was a pretty heated discussion about a rule specific to this mission. I'll try to keep my post spoiler-free.

The mission board is set up with a small locked back room that only Diala can open. The rules say that "the mission progresses once the door is opened". The rules also say that the Imperial player can deploy troops to any empty spaces on the board, which is a unique deployment rule for this mission.

The debate my group got into was: can the Imperial player deploy units to the room behind the locked door before it is unlocked and the mission progresses?

The Imperial player in our group said, "Yes, I should be able to deploy units there even before the door is unlocked, because the rule says that I can deploy to 'any empty space', and the spaces behind the door are empty"

The Rebels in our group said "The space behind the door should not be considered active in the mission, because the mission has not progressed to a point where it is accessible to either the Rebels or the Imperials."

If you go just by the letter of the rule, it seems that the Imperial player may be able to deploy there. However, there were a few other arguments our Rebel players made that also seemed logical:

- There are multiple deployment spots in other missions (behind locked doors) that are not available to the Imperial player until those doors are unlocked and the "mission progresses"
- Thematically, if you know the story of the mission, it doesn't make sense for there to be legions of storm troopers/royal guards/etc. in that room
- Theoretically, the Imperial player could deploy all his troops into that back room and fill up every space before the door. If that happens, how could any special units be deployed there once the door is opened?

We were at an impasse and couldn't find any discussions online about this. Eventually our Rebels acquiesced and the Imperial player deployed royal guards behind the door. The mission was still close, and our Rebels were only 1 damage point away from winning, but the whole argument left a bit of a sour taste in our mouths.

I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions? We tried searching the forums, which usually gave us good results, but couldn't find anything on this specific topic.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rule is crystal clear. An empty space is an empty space, whether it's behind a locked door or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
We just played temptation a few days ago. You can deploy to any empty space in the large play area but not behind the locked door. That will trigger once diala opens it up. It is like the other missions where you deploy to the active green points. You can't deploy to the yellow or red points till something triggers it. So till Diala opens the door there can be no deployments to the holocron chamber till the door is open. Plus it says that the door is locked to all figures except Diala. So how would the Imperial players figures be able to leave that room? They can't and he shouldn't till the mission progresses into that room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
supersayian wrote:
We just played temptation a few days ago. You can deploy to any empty space in the large play area but not behind the locked door. That will trigger once diala opens it up. It is like the other missions where you deploy to the active green points. You can't deploy to the yellow or red points till something triggers it. So till Diala opens the door there can be no deployments to the holocron chamber till the door is open. Plus it says that the door is locked to all figures except Diala. So how would the Imperial players figures be able to leave that room? They can't and he shouldn't till the mission progresses into that room.

I don't remember the exact wording, but if it does not specifically exclude the slaces in the locked room, then you can deploy there. It doesn't matter that the figures can't get out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The exact wordings are

Spoiler (click to reveal)

The door is locked to all figures except
Diala.

Imperial figures can deploy and reinforce
to any empty space

The mission will progress when the door
to the Holocron Chamber opens

I want to say it's permitted but it just feels so wrong thematically, like I know it's probably allowed/an oversight by designers, but I've never done that as Imperial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmess wrote:
The debate my group got into was: can the Imperial player deploy units to the room behind the locked door before it is unlocked and the mission progresses?

Yes, but that is sensible only at a certain point of the mission, so I don't see why it would not be allowed. The whole mission is about ghosts and false impressions, so why not that?

The deployment rule allows Probe Droids to be used as bombs also. Deploy them next to rebels and then Self-Destruct at the end of round step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Sorry, but the imperial player is correct.
In fact, your examples of the rules is the exact proof of how it works. If a missions tells you that new\old deployment points that means that exactly - the rules should tell you when something is changed.

In this mission that's not the case. Nothing is changed.

The only thing you're being told is that
Darth Vader has to show up in a specific point. Other than that, nothing is changed.

The spaces behind the doors are empty therefore you can deploy in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricope wrote:
The exact wordings are

The door is locked to all figures except
Diala.

Imperial figures can deploy and reinforce
to any empty space

The mission will progress when the door
to the Holocron Chamber opens

I want to say it's permitted but it just feels so wrong thematically, like I know it's probably allowed/an oversight by designers, but I've never done that as Imperial

I agree 100%. I tend to not sacrifice theme for strategy. This game for me and my group is about having fun...not necessarily winning.

Sometimes the rebels will do crazy things that have little chance of success and manage to pull it off, other times they're not so lucky, but at least they can say it was fun attempting it.

Door blocking, or room cramming in this case, is a boring way to play this game for the Imperial IMO.

With such minimally detailed stories attached to missions, I feel as the IP I'm responsible for adding more "flare" and theme to the missions to make them more exciting...like adding a Boba Fett that appears in the game through an exploding wall only to simply fly past everyone and never make an attack... What!? He's stolen Weiss' favorite harmonica because he shortchanged him on a deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmess wrote:
- Theoretically, the Imperial player could deploy all his troops into that back room and fill up every space before the door. If that happens, how could any special units be deployed there once the door is opened?

Per the rules for deployment, if the designated space is occupied, you place the new figure(s) in the closest available space...which might end up outside the newly opened door, if you've jammed the chamber full of Nexus and Stormtroopers. Which is thematically a bit weird, but mechanically it works fine.

Strategically, I could see the value of deploying a few figures in the closed room - maybe a Royal Guard for defense, or a single Stormtrooper for activation control. Any more than that, I think you would be hurting your own chances. Specifically, filling up the whole room is only feasible at a high threat level, and it will still take most or all of your threat to do it. By that point in the campaign, the rebels should be able to clear your starting forces pretty quickly, so they'd be under no pressure and would easily be able to set up at the door and still have plenty of time to mow through your forces and finish their objective.

eta: hmm, spawning Jabba with your initial threat in the locked room would be pretty darn good. He can earn back his threat cost in three rounds while generating either attacks or focus, and then at the end of the mission he's a big wall of meat to block rebel attacks. You'd have to earn him with an agenda first, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All due respect to peoples' sense of thematic reasoning, this is a rules forum. The answer to this question is unequivocal. You can deploy to any empty space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any issue with the theme. This is like Luke going into the cave on Dagobah, seeing things that are or are not there. The flavor text also emphasizes the theme of the deployment rule.
ghostly figures, your foes of past and present, rise from the mist and attack

You cannot really fill the chamber with the threat available. Diala has Force Throw at this point - or the imperial player is very short on threat (first side mission), so trying to put bodies between her and her target is a failing strategy. The figures in the chamber would be to protect the mission objective from direct fire and attacking Diala when she spends her first action to open the door and only has another left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.