Epic Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: My World's Pyrosaur Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Sorenson

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
Just finished writing up a detailed explanation of my Pyrosaur deck from Worlds. I love this deck: http://www.tomsepicgaming.com/my-worlds-pyrosaur-deck/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
8 times out of 10, when you play Brachiosaurus, you do not want to immediately spend the gold you get off it for this reason. If you can get an 8/12 breakthrough body into play and force your opponent not to spend their gold on your turn, you’re in great shape.

This is one of the most important lessons in all of Epic right here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the second lesson is to not underestimate how good Spore Beast is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
Quote:
8 times out of 10, when you play Brachiosaurus, you do not want to immediately spend the gold you get off it for this reason. If you can get an 8/12 breakthrough body into play and force your opponent not to spend their gold on your turn, you’re in great shape.

This is one of the most important lessons in all of Epic right here.

I am probably stupid and definitely lack expertise in Epic, but could you explain this a bit more? How is the opponent forced to not spend the gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, it puts your opponent in a bad position. If you pass the turn, still with your gold unspent, your opponent is either forced to spend theirs first OR not spend it at all. Either way, that's good for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they mean that by leaving your extra gold unspent, the opponent may hesitate to spend theirs until they see what you're going to do with it. If you end your turn with the gold still open, and they end up using theirs, you can respond by spending it then. If they hesitate and don't spend theirs and you end up not spending yours either, you still ended up with your big dino, and they ended up with nothing.

At least that's what I assume they mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Sorenson

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
Correct, "forced" isn't the best word. As has been mentioned, not spending your gold allows you to "punish" your opponent for spending their gold on your turn while you still have one available.

In Epic on your turn, if your opponent spends their gold while you have yours available (or the extra gold from Brachiosaurus available), your opponent is significantly less likely to be able to safely react to how your spend that available gold (especially if that gold is used on a blitz champion).

For example, at the start of my turn when both my opponent and I have our gold, my opponent can potentially answer any card I play. I argue that example 2b) is the best course of plays 8 times out of 10. I explain these concepts more fully in my Epic: Limited - Get Ahead, Stay Ahead article: http://www.tomsepicgaming.com/epic-limited-get-ahead-stay-ah...

1a) If I spend my gold first to play Draka, Dragon Tyrant as a 9/9 airborne, blitz champion and attack, my opponent can then safely play their Chomp! on it. Both players spent their gold and the board state didn't change, but we are both down 1 card in hand.

1b) If I pass and my opponent spends their gold first to draw 2, I can then safely spend my gold to play Draka, Dragon Tyrant and attack for 9 damage in the air. Assuming they have no worthwhile 0-cost cards to play to disrupt the attack, board state ends with me having an expended, 9/9 airborne champion in play. I dealt 9 damage to my opponent, but they increased their hand size by 1.

1c) If I pass and then my opponent passes, the turn ends with no change.

2a) If I play Brachiosaurus first and then immediately spend my second gold to play Draka and attack, my opponent can still safely spend their gold to Chomp! my Draka and take no damage that turn. I end the turn with an 8/12 breakthrough champion in play and down 2 cards in hand. My opponent is down 1 card in hand but took no damage.

Even worse, if my opponent played an off-turn board clear (Zombie Apocalypse, Wave of Transformation etc.), I could end the turn down 2 cards in hand, while my opponent is only down 1 card and took no damage.

2b)If I play Brachiosaurus and pass, my opponent could react by playing their Chomp! on my Brachiosaurus (or an off-turn board clear). After, I could play my Draka to attack in the air for 9 damage. I am down 2 cards in hand, but I dealt 9 damage and have a 9/9 airborne champion in play, my opponent is down 1 card.

2c) If I play Brachiosaurus and pass, my opponent could also choose to pass. If they do, I end the turn down 1 card in hand, but I have an 8/12 breakthrough champion in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks that was very informative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.