Dwar7s Fall» Forums » General

Subject: Underwhelming at 2p? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Ivanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
Just played this for the first time tonight (had bought it at GenCon). I played 2p with my wife. Is this game just extremely better with 4? We both put our kingdom tiles into separate kingdoms so that piece of the game felt pointless. Did we just play it "wrong?" Just didn't feel a need to cover up another's stuff except for monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If you both played each on your own Kingdom, and did not try to mess each other up, then you played a really "friendly game"

In this case you will probably have the same tiles in your Kingdom, which also means the same Victory Points from your Kingdoms at the end. So, the game will be decided upon who mined more gems and completed more goals faster.

It is a way to play the game, but without a little bit of competition and "messing up" you will not unleash the challenging and fun part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Ivanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
I guess the concept I'm having trouble grasping is the advantage of covering up one of their mines with one of my own. I lose out on the kingdom size bonus. Is it because you have to anticipate what they want next (eg. you know they have two yellows, so they are likely going for blues next b/c that's one of the trading goals)?

Does the competition come out more with more players?

I'm not trying to be negative. I want to understand the best way to play the game to get the most fun out of it! I *LOVE* the artwork laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Brueh
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brian! I think that you may have played with two separated kingdom boards... Am I right? All Kingdom cards should be connected in the entire game, so you will be able to really change the borders and take control of more kingdom cards by stacking tiles on top of tiles.

For example: the 1st player will places his first mine on the board (and then 2 dwarfs to get a emerald for example) then, the 2nd player will place his castle adjacent to the first mine played and now the 2nd players kingdom have 4 VP.

The board is shared. The kingdom is every kingdom card within you castle walls. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Ivanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
So wall to wall is an illegal placement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Brueh
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vargeth87 wrote:
So wall to wall is an illegal placement?

Hi Brian!
A. No, it's not. By the picture, you did it in a legal placement. But you could have done this way instead (for example)

If you had placed the emerald facing up, then you could had placed a gold mine on top of the 2nd player diamond mine, in that case, you may have ended the game with most of the tiles within your kingdom =).
So, you can change borders during all the game, placing or digging kingdom cards. =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin
msg tools
I wouldn't say it's best at 2p, but it's definitely a lot of fun with 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.