Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Dungeon Crawler» Forums » General

Subject: upgrading the tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi, I've seen in a few forum posts people mentioning that they upgraded their tokens, but I haven't seen anyone mention what they upgraded to?

I also see that Mines of Khurgan comes with a token punch, which I assume are better quality tokens than the starter set - but it looks like (from the unboxing video) that it only has 2 of each type? While 2 poison counters might be plenty, it seems like it wouldn't be enough for wound tokens?

I'd appreciate purchasing suggestions. I've looked at meeplesource, stonemaier, litko, broken egg and team covenant. Each place has a few good options but nothing for the whole set. And if I can help it, I'd rather avoid mixing acrylic, cardboard, wooden and resin pieces.

Thoughts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I do not have any suggestions about how to upgrade the tokens, but I can say that in my Mines expansion the tokens were no better quality than in the base set. They were just as bad.

I use various counters and tokens from other games when I play DC.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the color was much better, not sure what else can be done.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
Sorry I do not have any suggestions about how to upgrade the tokens, but I can say that in my Mines expansion the tokens were no better quality than in the base set. They were just as bad.

I use various counters and tokens from other games when I play DC.


In my Mines pack, the tokens had brighter colours and easier to read.

I still use the DC tokens, since they fit really easily in my card box and don't take much space on my small kitchen table. Hopefully other people will be able to help OP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Greyhaze wrote:
I thought the color was much better, not sure what else can be done.
FWIW, I can confirm that my newer tokens are indeed much brighter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
in my Mines expansion the tokens were no better quality than in the base set. They were just as bad.

Jamelrha wrote:
In my Mines pack, the tokens had brighter colours and easier to read.
The quality issue is not just about brighter colors--yes, they were brighter. But the cardboard was still very thin and cheap and the printing was off-center on many of them. To me, they were still a downer for a great game so I just tossed them and tried to forget I ever saw them.

As I said in my video review of the game, from my perspective I would have rather had nothing there than something of such poor quality.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
@adm1 : Gotcha. I agree that they are thin and some are off-centered. Not a problem for me but I can understand that some people will find them unappealing.

Hmm, maybe a "new/better/awesome tokens!" add-on in the next kickstarter Jey?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:
I agree that they are thin and some are off-centered. Not a problem for me but I can understand that some people will find them unappealing.

It's less a 'problem' and just something I like to do to my games, where it makes sense. I've replaced many generic cubes in euros with bits that look like the resources they should be, etc.

This is what I ended up going with:


Which are Wound, Time, Quest Counters, Power Buff, Defense Buff, Locked and Poison. Sadly... the Time tokens were out of stock so I've got a gap there.

Pimping a game before I even have all the released content might indicate I have a problem
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Pimping a game before I even have all the released content might indicate I have a problem


No. It means your are a visionary.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a nice set of upgraded tokens. thumbsup

May I ask from where you ordered them? I wouldn't mind putting together a collection that I could use when playing different games. I can easily see having a plastic divided container from Jo-Ann's with all of these in it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
7eat51 wrote:
That's a nice set of upgraded tokens. thumbsup

May I ask from where you ordered them? I wouldn't mind putting together a collection that I could use when playing different games. I can easily see having a plastic divided container from Jo-Ann's with all of these in it.

Those are from meeplesource, which are wooden bits.

If you're gathering generic stuff for use in multiple games, you should also look at the Stonemaier Games treasure chests. They're pricy but really nice resin and meant to be generic.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:
@adm1 : Gotcha. I agree that they are thin and some are off-centered. Not a problem for me but I can understand that some people will find them unappealing.

Hmm, maybe a "new/better/awesome tokens!" add-on in the next kickstarter Jey?

Part of the problem is finding manufacturers that can do an affordable job, it's been... difficult.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyhaze wrote:
Part of the problem is finding manufacturers that can do an affordable job, it's been... difficult.
No doubt but I continue to wonder at the decision to include something subpar rather than nothing at all.
It just takes away from the generally excellent gaming experience a bit. For me at least--which is why I ended up just tossing them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
7eat51 wrote:
That's a nice set of upgraded tokens. thumbsup

May I ask from where you ordered them? I wouldn't mind putting together a collection that I could use when playing different games. I can easily see having a plastic divided container from Jo-Ann's with all of these in it.

Those are from meeplesource, which are wooden bits.

If you're gathering generic stuff for use in multiple games, you should also look at the Stonemaier Games treasure chests. They're pricy but really nice resin and meant to be generic.


Thanks. I will check out the associated sites.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
No doubt but I continue to wonder at the decision to include something subpar rather than nothing at all.
It just takes away from the generally excellent gaming experience a bit. For me at least--which is why I ended up just tossing them.

Really? I think you're statement is over the top, they are functional tokens I demo with them over and over and they work just fine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jey,

I just chose Dungeon Crawler as part of a challenge to be completed this month. I am looking forward to getting into the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the challenge?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the 2016 10x10 Challenge. I completed the Normal Challenge, but due to life, was unable to complete my Hardcore challenge. Today, I set up a new Hardcore Challenge and will try to complete it this month.

Here is my entry: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/201403/item/5064181#item5...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That does look pretty hardcore! Glad to make the list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As an update. I have all the expansions now, and the upgraded tokens I could find (missing time still, oh well).

Here's my foamcore storage which leverages the original starter box. The lid does overlap the base, but it had to become a taller box for all those cards. Still, it fits snug and I'm pretty happy with it. The 4 gold tokens are my resource trackers.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Love it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see some Nuyen tokens from Shadowrun there!cool

Nice storage, really!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Fwiw
I use Scrabble letters.
L is lock.
T is time.

Poison doesn't need a token.
I use red glass beads for wounds...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.