Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Middle-Earth» Forums » General

Subject: How can you tell the different sets apart, by looking at the cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis B
United States
flag msg tools
I'm very much a MECCG noob, but ended up buying a rather large collection of cards on eBay. Probably something in the ballpark of 2,000-2,500 cards. Which is awesome, because it gets me pretty well set up to get this game up and running. But the card sets are all jumbled together in a number of different boxes.

What's the easiest way to go through and sort everything by set?

The first thing I've noticed is the date at the bottom, but it seems there were a couple different sets printed each year. I found this info chart posted elsewhere here in the forums: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2961313/tsarriri

Which has showed me that I have a ton of cards from the Wizards (both black and blue boarder), and chunks of cards from every other set besides the Balrog. At least that is what I can tell from just pulling out a few handfuls and flicking through some of the boxes.

But some of the cards don't seem to have a rune on the card that would identify the set it came from. It has the 5 bubbles in the lower right hand corner, but no rune. How do I tell what set those came from, other than manually searching the card against a card list? There were also a few cards that had a small white crown icon inside one of the bubbles, what set does that indicate? Is there a rhyme or reason to what bubble in the bottom right corner that a rune shows up in? Does it indicate rarity or card type, if its in the 1st bubble as opposed to the 4th?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most sets should have those runes (though might be hard to see at times, depending on the type of card), though I admit I haven't seen the Lidless Eye symbol and wonder if that is limited to other language versions. You could use copyright year for Wizards (95) and Lidless Eye (97). The white crown is for promo cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have trouble finding the rune you're probably looking at a Lidless Eye card. The runes in that set were not always printed correctly, resulting in very thin lines or even no visible rune at all.

And I think the same problem was with the White Hand set, although with those cards the runes are mostly just very thin lines, not lost altogether.

When in doubt, check the complete card list (it's an excel file, in the file section here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis B
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input!

I did a cursory sort through 3 of 5 boxes tonight. So far it looks like I have a lot of The Wizards unlimited and about half as much of The Wizards limited. Then equal to The Wizards limited pile is The Dragons, and Dark Minions. Then some smaller piles of The White Hand, Lidless Eye, and Against the Shadow.

I found 3 copies of The One Ring, but sadly all blue bordered! But there were 3 complete challenge decks, while opened, look totally unplayed. I have the Wizard deck E-Gandalf, C-Pallando, and Ringwraith deck H-Hoarmurath. I'll probably start playing with these to get a feel for the game, before jumping right into deckbuilding. And I also found 1 Farmer Maggot, which I think is a pretty notable card from Against the Shadows? I'm sure there's other cool cards, but I was more sorting for set then reading them all.

Anyways, the runes proved to be the best way to sort them. Some runes were very clear, and others were very faint. I even had to get a jeweler's loupe out to identify them! Especially some of the dark deck cards. Some of the runes on them were only detectable by a patterned color difference under magnification! I still have a pile of 'I don't know' cards, but I think I'll be able to mostly sort them if I go through and pay attention to the dates.

Eventually I'll go through each set and alphabetize, and organized by set into storage boxes with dividers splitting up the different card types. I plan to keep up to 3 of each card (maybe just 2 for 'unique' cards), then pull out the extras to try to sell/trade for cards I don't have. Then I'll put the 3 copies I keep for my collection all into a single penny sleeve. That way when I'm leafing through cards during deckbuilding, I can quickly flick through my collection card by card, rather than having to sift through a whole stack.

Good thing I enjoy sorting through cards, because I've barely put a dent in the sorting process!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Rumm
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are some full card lists available online if you search for MECCG Card List. That can help you identify some of the cards you're unsure about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Murphy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Please feel free to visit:

http://www.councilofelrond.org

Very helpful group of individuals dedicated to keeping the game alive.

Join the forums and poke around!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about this as well. Sadly, MEccg is from a time where CCGs still did not include clear expansion and rarity symbols. At the time my solution was to memorize all of the sets, but I doubt that is what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.