$35.00
Josh Stein
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my copy of WF-WII last week, and my son and I have played a number of games with it. As expected, we are really enjoying ourselves. I feel as if DVG hit one out of the park here.

HOWEVER - I also feel like some of the KS add-ons are really pretty crappy and poorly designed. Specifically the metal miniatures and the tracker 'bits' (ammo, grenades, wounds).

While I believe the game itself is very well thought out, these "perks" fall flat. The miniatures are a mess - many of mine have severely bent or broken weapons. They don't stand well, and are in need of some serious trimming due to excess flash. Also - what exactly is their intended use?

The 3D bits (Ammo, grenades, wounds, XP) APPEAR great at first glance. The Ammo and grenade counters specifically. However, in use it becomes apparent that they are not, well, really useful. For example, the (included in the base game) cardboard ammo chits are two sided (full/empty), while the metal tokens are not. Same idea with the wounds. That trait is important to the game mechanics, yet cannot be tracked with the metal tokens.

Is anyone out there really using these items? I regret falling for the KS trap to purchase them and wish that DVG would have put their efforts elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't a fan of the bits because I didn't feel there were enough to put into practical use. I did use the Ammo as an Action marker, moving it on and off the soldier cards as they were used, but still prefer the chits.

As for the soldiers, if there's an issue, a friendly email to Dan and Co. should take care of the broken ones. Some of mine were bent, but some gentle finger pressure took care of that issue.

Neither of these quenched my enthusiasm for this game. If WF SF was a home run, WWII is a grand-slam, bases loaded, out of the park homer.
---
Edit: clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Stein
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point I was trying to bring across with my first post wasn't an issue about the component quality, or packing (we have enough of those posts on here already) - what I was trying to convey was the disappointment in these rewards compared to the game itself (which is utterly fantastic).

Case in point - although some of the miniatures I received were broken during shipment, I really don't want to waste my time and DVGs resources in securing replacements, as I dont see any practical use for them in the game.

Likewise those 3D bits. They are pretty yes, but for gameplay they are really useless.

For stretch goals, I would MUCH prefer the developers to give us more content. A few soldiers, perhaps another mission or two. Maybe a campaign tracker, or...

Celebrate the game with stretch goals, don't just give us stuff that "looks cool" but fails to deliver. In the long run, it costs the manufacturers money and frustrates the supporters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK!

Lets start making a wish list of stretch goals!

I'll collate it and ask DVG if this would fit with their vision.

<Edit: Actually devil - I'll steal the bits that I like the most and put them into a formal Game Development Proposal (Expansion - KS) and the rest in as possible additional/alternative KS campaign goals) - Don't expect the KS till at least mid-late 2017 if DVG can fit it in as I will need to do research, source images and run play tests whistle>

For Wave 2 WF WWII: Assume that the base KS was 4 expansions of 56 cards
- with 2 decks per new nation that could be say France and Finland - or 1 new nation and 2 decks to expand other nations gear and hostiles to early war.
(or something else)
Obvious stretch goal is more expansions, new nations, additional action cards/gear/locations, missions, hostiles.

Scenerio Book?

Campaign(s) Book?

Other?

For Wave 3 WF SF: Assume Security Inc boxed game and 4 Expansions
(post ideas in the modern WF board)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmcmeowmeow wrote:
The 3D bits (Ammo, grenades, wounds, XP) APPEAR great at first glance. The Ammo and grenade counters specifically. However, in use it becomes apparent that they are not, well, really useful. For example, the (included in the base game) cardboard ammo chits are two sided (full/empty), while the metal tokens are not. Same idea with the wounds. That trait is important to the game mechanics, yet cannot be tracked with the metal tokens.

Would it be possible to maybe paint a little red dot on one side to represent empty? That way you would be able to flip the tokens and know which side is full/empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
OK!

Lets start making a wish list of stretch goals!

I'll collate it and ask DVG if this would fit with their vision.

<Edit: Actually devil - I'll steal the bits that I like the most and put them into a formal Game Development Proposal (Expansion - KS) and the rest in as possible additional/alternative KS campaign goals) - Don't expect the KS till at least mid-late 2017 if DVG can fit it in as I will need to do research, source images and run play tests whistle>

For Wave 2 WF WWII: Assume that the base KS was 4 expansions of 56 cards
- with 2 decks per new nation that could be say France and Finland - or 1 new nation and 2 decks to expand other nations gear and hostiles to early war.
(or something else)
Obvious stretch goal is more expansions, new nations, additional action cards/gear/locations, missions, hostiles.

Scenerio Book?

Campaign(s) Book?

Other?

For Wave 3 WF SF: Assume Security Inc boxed game and 4 Expansions
(post ideas in the modern WF board)

I would vote for a Scenario and Campaign book and not more bling. I don't find value in most pimpages and prefer things of practical value. I'm not surprised to hear that the metal pieces are not as practical as the double-sided chits.

I skipped the original KS, and in hindsight, I'm very glad I did. I'll spend about the same as what I would have on the KS campaign but get far more of what I want (footlocker and expansion packs) and none of the things that have no value to me (metal miniatures and tokens).

So my point is, I would want either more expansion packs and/or Scenario/Campaign books or else I'll probably skip that KS too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My intention is too write a Development Proposal that includes all components of the Kick Starter campaign.

To do that I want to know what people want.

Not everyone will want everything on the list (eg someone might not want Finnish soldiers/Hostiles, while others don't want French and some would rather more cards than scenerios etc)

I'll do the proposal, DVG will then assess/change and I (or someone else, or a team) will be contracted to develop it to a stage that DVG then finalises and publishes.

As to timing - that would have to fit into DVGs plans - getting a game from start to delivery without clashing with other priorities is something that I'm happy to leave to DVG!

Ps. I'm writing this market appraisal stage into my Development Proposal - not that I'll get paid for it - just so that DVG can be confident that what goes into the proposal has potential backers support.

Pps - I won't have my proposal ready before January if anyone wants to beat me to it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clifford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I skipped the original KS, and in hindsight, I'm very glad I did. I'll spend about the same as what I would have on the KS campaign but get far more of what I want (footlocker and expansion packs) and none of the things that have no value to me (metal miniatures and tokens).

Kurt,

I think I must be missing something in the economics of this. I pledged $215 for the Sergeant level plus the Ammo Box/Footlocker and "EU friendly" shipping. That's the core game plus eleven expansion decks, four packs of minis, two packs of tokens, four counter trays and the big box. I priced the internet/retail price on UGG (who are handling EU shipping for DVG) and without discounts (UGG offer something like 10% for "subscribers") it rounds out at 450€ without shipping from Germany to UK. At current exchange rates that's about $480 - I could ditch the markers and minis and not flinch at the price I actually paid for the whole package. Unless US sellers are able to greatly undercut the KS cost compared to EU (a quick look at a UK online dealer shows the equivalent UK price is £305/$386) I still think the KS price represents good value.

YMMV.

[Edit] - I've just seen the price on NWS-online - I now see your point

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
My intention is too write a Development Proposal that includes all components of the Kick Starter campaign.

To do that I want to know what people want.

Not everyone will want everything on the list (eg someone might not want Finnish soldiers/Hostiles, while others don't want French and some would rather more cards than scenerios etc)

I'll do the proposal, DVG will then assess/change and I (or someone else, or a team) will be contracted to develop it to a stage that DVG then finalises and publishes.

As to timing - that would have to fit into DVGs plans - getting a game from start to delivery without clashing with other priorities is something that I'm happy to leave to DVG!

Ps. I'm writing this market appraisal stage into my Development Proposal - not that I'll get paid for it - just so that DVG can be confident that what goes into the proposal has potential backers support.

Pps - I won't have my proposal ready before January if anyone wants to beat me to it. :shake:

David, I saw another post by you indicated some possible future expansions -
I would be all over the expansion that had:

US Marine Soldiers,
Japanese Hostiles and
Pacific Missions/Objectives/Locations

And as KS bonuses, I think a related campaign book would be awesome - I can already see me island hopping across the Pacific!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the Far East as well!

Dan has said he would like to do the expansions of WF WWII in chronological order.

I could argue Japanese vs Chinese and Japanese vs Soviets should come before France.. But I think Europe then the Middle Easr then the Far East would be more in spirit with DVG's stated plan.

That said - no plan and combat - WF WWII KS grew from core game and 4 expansions to core game and 12 expansions. The same could happen with the next KS and stretch goals - which would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

While I appreciate Dan talking about a logical / historical plan for the expansions, I'm not sure I'm all that interested in anything else unless it is very different from what's already been released. A few different nations, with slightly different soldiers and weapons isn't going to make it a "must have" for me. And that is my own personal opinion only. But there is so much in this initial release that will keep me playing for a long time. So I'm not sure I'm all that interested in the French, Middle East, etc. There are going to be people who have there own personal favorites (the Finns, etc), but I'm not sure if they have the broad appeal.

I am interested in Japanese / United States, especially the island hopping, since that was such a big part of the war, or to a lesser extant North Africa because of the desert war setting. I'm not sure there is enough new stuff with additional war in Europe content that would make me feel that I'm missing out over what is already a ton of content in my Footlocker.

Just my opinion, but I'm hopeful Dan realizes that releasing in historical order is not the only option for way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed!

I'm just not trying to raise false expectations on DVGs plans.

Additional Nations will come with additional missions/objectives/locations.

I want to do a Partisan expansion (2 packs) that includes Night (poor visibility) rules that introduces a new generic hostile "Sentries" - that can be used with any Hostile nation to allow the player soldiers to potentially sneak through locations. Along with lots of blowing things up or shooting specific targets or even stealing specific things without the enemy being alerted (think a raid mission where you fail if the Hostiles are alerted before you grab/photograph/break what is needed).

Island hopping comes with its own joys - you thought Russia cold was bad - add tropical heat humidity diseases cold wild life etc.

Then comes commando operations - building on Partisan expansion

Then at some stage player vehicles...

Hopefully each expansion will have enough interest for all and yet allow players to pick which expansions floats there boat (or cockle shell) without having to get ones that do not interest them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather see campaigns than scenarios. I'm playing one now that I tweaked from the rules - if a soldier is killed, their card leaves the game for the duration of the campaign and their slot is filled by a replacement from the nation's soldier deck. Wondering if I will have enough soldiers left, given what I've heard about WWII's increased lethality.

As I mentioned in my review, I'll always take Missions, Locations, Objectives.

I'm not big on bits, but I wouldn't mind seeing more metal miniatures available as stretch goals that correspond to future nation releases. I've started painting the ones in Wave #1 and for the first time I kind of "get" the whole idea of having them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have far rather received the 112 cards in expansion 5 plus the service cards instead of the ($50) foot locker and the miniatures and metal bits.

Wiling to trade ... all the miniatures and metal bits (both unopened and won't ever be used) for said cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done!

I've sent you a PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin MacMillan
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Aha ...my thoughts too - 'Great minds think alike'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin MacMillan
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I plan to use the bits for other games (probably in my miniature games, the ammo metal counter to show needing to reload, that sort of thing ... As an example, my WW1 air combat takes place over a beautiful map of Gettysburg - the hexes on the map fitted perfectly with my aircraft stands).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ammo box cards are now available separately
http://www.mcssl.com/store/danverssengames/ammo-box-decks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artillery magnet
msg tools
Agree. That being said, at least the Warfighter WWII KS did not include a lapel pin!
Cheers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.