BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: French or German AND English games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a slightly unusual request: I'm looking for games that have not just French/German and English rulebooks, but also bilingual or multilingual components. Do you know if any like this? Preferably plays more than 2 and is a fun, strategic game to play as well.

For example, Troyes has French/German/English titles on the cards, Broom Service has French and English cards included in the box, and Oh My Goods! and Wir sind das Volk! have German and English on the cards, (but not Orléans, because it only has German text on the boards).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game has French/English/German cards in the box. I was very surprised by it.

What about games that don't use text ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games in the alea line from Ravensburger Spieleverlag GmbH, for example The Castles of Burgundy, are available as multilingual editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower has both German and English titles on all of the tiles. The iconography covers the important rules part of what they do, but what they're called is important, too, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul and its expansions Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh and Istanbul: Letters & Seals have german/english editions. But there are english only editions also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder (international edition)

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
In the original german version of Ursuppe the gene cards are in english and german.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game has French/English/German cards in the box. I was very surprised by it.

What about games that don't use text ?

Ooh, all three! I'll have to look for it! Thanks! -- I'm specifically looking for games that have some text, even if minimal (like Troyes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
Some games in the alea line from Ravensburger Spieleverlag GmbH, for example The Castles of Burgundy, are available as multilingual editions.

I guess that's an idea, buy multiple copies of a game I like (Puerto Rico!) in different languages... problem is, I don't think my gaming buddies will appreciate the non-English!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Keyflower has both German and English titles on all of the tiles. The iconography covers the important rules part of what they do, but what they're called is important, too, right?

Ooh, I have this but clearly didn't play it yet. This is perfect, thanks!

Mondkalb123 wrote:
Istanbul and its expansions Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh and Istanbul: Letters & Seals have german/english editions. But there are english only editions also.

Darn, I have the English-only versions. Wish I knew this before I bought them. Thanks for the tip!

Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Is there text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Melancholie wrote:
Thanee wrote:
Is there text?

On the cards, yes. They are in five languages, I think, among them english, french, and german. But only in the international edition.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Sir Melancholie wrote:
Thanee wrote:
Is there text?

On the cards, yes. They are in five languages, I think, among them english, french, and german. But only in the international edition.

Bye
Thanee

From what I've been able to figure out, the only non-international version is German-only, correct? I've purchased both the base game and the Nomads expansion from Amazon, and both of those came with all 5 languages for both the cards and rule books. So if you purchase a copy from an English/American retailer, I believe you should be getting the international edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Melancholie wrote:
Randombias wrote:

I guess that's an idea, buy multiple copies of a game I like (Puerto Rico!) in different languages... problem is, I don't think my gaming buddies will appreciate the non-English!

You don't need multiple copies because the multilingual editions already contain all language-dependent game materials (e.g. the manual) in German, English, and French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition has a game board and player boards labelled in English on one side and German on the other.

I'm in the US and my copy only came with English rules & cards, but you can download rules and card translations in several languages here: http://stonemaiergames.com/games/viticulture/rules/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! This is a great starting point (I just need to make sure to buy the right editions ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Almost everything from Matagot has multilingual rulebooks and no text on the components.
So, Cyclades, Kemet et al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.