Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GM of the YEAR: John Corrado has been named WBC’s 2016 GM of the Year. The Facts in Five and Castles of Mad King Ludwig GM prevailed over Andrew Drummond’s efforts with Can’t Stop and Seven Wonders Duel in a close vote and will therefore be our guest in 2017. For complete details see http://boardgamers.org/history_topgm_2016.html.

WBC 2016 AFTER ACTION REPORTS UNVEILED: All the details of WBC 2016 competition is now available in a slick new format as only WBC does them at http://boardgamers.org/reports_2016.html. Updated laurel and history totals have yet to be completed for all events and will be added at a later date as our website continues its renovations.

WBC 2017 CENTURY EVENT QUALIFIERS: The 110 events which qualified to return to WBC 2017 as Century or Legacy entries are posted at http://boardgamers.org/wbc17/orphans.html along with 41 potential Continuing Trials and 26 new nominees that are listed on the Annual December Membership ballot. It looks like a banner crop of new event submissions this year so voters will have plenty of choices and hard decisions to make this time.

MEMBERSHIP DRIVE EXTENDED: Our annual Membership Drive wherein we offer our lowest rates and vote for new and continuing events gets underway December 1st. For the first time we will be extending the period to respond to two full months so you will have until January 31st, 2017 to renew your membership at our lowest rates. The updated 2017 membership form and ballot are now available at http://boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml as are the revised Membership Terms at http://boardgamers.org/about_terms.html for 2017. Be sure to check out the sportsmanship nominees at http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/sportmanNominees.html before completing your ballot.

PROGRESS AT SEVEN SPRINGS: Those of you who attended WBC 2016 in our new venue were no doubt as impressed as we were with our first experience there. But both Seven Springs management and BPA thinks we can do better going forward. We are pleased to report the following improvements for 2017.

• Rentals of condos and chalets is proceeding well - promising to free up more hotel rooms in 2017. Reservations for hotel stays of five days or more will commence on January 15th at 9 AM EST, but condos can be rented now with a special “pay for five days, get two days free” promotion currently underway for multi-bedroom condos. In co-ordination with this, we will be extending the Annual Membership Drive period from December through January. Yes, you will now have two full months to vote for Continuing Trials and qualify for our lowest Sustaining membership rate.

• A new Air Conditioning system will be installed in the Ski Lodge this spring and ready for our use. This should make event scheduling a much smoother process.

• The free Gift Card for Tribune members has been increased to a $30 value.

• An outside grill area near the Grand Ballroom and Exhibit Hall will be opened for quicker sandwich fare to reduce restaurant wait times for food service.

• A new restaurant - the 7-10 Bistro - will be opened opposite an enlarged bowling alley for food service on the second level.

• ACTIVTY PASSES: A special WBC weekly pass is being considered to allow our attendees to spread their outside adventure activities over a longer period without missing whole days of gaming.

• WIFI: Last year’s spotty wifi is much improved as the system throughout the resort has been replaced and upgraded,

• VALET PARKING: WBC attendees may purchase a discounted $40 weekly valet parking rate for spots nearest the hotel - first come, first served. Valet parking has a limited number of spaces available. There will still be abundant free parking - just not as close as the Valet spots.

• SHUTTLES: Free shuttles to/from Seven Springs condos will continue to operate, but those who wish to supplement that option can do so with a weekly Lift Pass for the ski lifts without purchasing an Activity Pass. Hours of operation and which lifts service which condo areas are still being considered.

• SUNDAY MASS: WBC attendees are welcome to attend regular Catholic Mass Services at the Resort.

JASON LEY: We regret to report that WBC lost one of its original members and top competitors taken from us far too soon on October 21st in a tragic automobile accident. Details of Jason’s passing are posted on our Memorial page at http://boardgamers.org/history_memorials.html.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page. You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums under Gaming Related, Conventions, WBC.

• BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc

• Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC

• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/

• Consimworld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816

PBeM NEWS:

MARCH MADNESS DELAYED START: The 15th annual BPA March Madness PBeM tournament originally scheduled for a November 15th Draft start has been delayed through no fault of the NCAA and GM Bruce Monnin. Rather, it is a long, sad story of this newsletter being perpetually delayed by a series of missed deadlines and calamities both small and large. Those of you who waited 97 days to submit your event report may have had a little something to do with it too. In any case, better late than never … check out the website at http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mms_home_page.html and get in on the fun by contacting GM Bruce Monnin at bdmonnin@nktelco.net.

LUNAU WINS ADVANCED CIVILIZATION AGAIN: Denmark’s Mads Lunau won his third straight ACV PBeM tournament by topping Sweden’s Jonas Lundquist and a field of 37 in BPA’s 5th Annual PBeM tournament. It was a strong international field with six different nations represented in the top six positions. UK’s Nils Brobakk took third, Norway’s Haakon Monsen fourth, Canada’s Ed Codere fifth and America’s Dan Morris claiming sixth. Complete details can be found at http://boardgamers.org/yearbook16/acv.html#pbem.

PATHS OF GLORY PROGRESS REPORT: We’ve just wrapped up our second month of action in Round 1 and the action has been fast and furious. 16 of 51 matches have been decided and many others are on track to complete in the next few weeks. The AP has won nine games and lost seven and it’s reassuring to see people finding all sorts of ways to gain victory. But fear not, vanquished warriors, for this is a double-elimination event which means an early loss will not keep you out of the action in Round 2 of the tournament. GM Tom Gregorio has put out a slick and informative email newsletter pertaining to the tournament. Whether you’re playing or not, if you’re a POG fan you should get on his mailing list to follow the action. Contact gregorit@yahoo.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The progress changes sound promising. I like how 7 Springs appears to be very responsive to our feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up to fixing the wifi. That will be quite nice. If I can afford to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds nice. Seven Springs basically added A/C to the Ski Lodge on the fly this year - happy to see they are getting a more permanent installation done. I also like adding two additional food locations. The locations will reduce walks to food and it sounds like the outside Grill at least may provide the less expensive fare some desired (I was fine with the food but understand why some felt the expense).

I agree with Grant - Seven Springs has been VERY responsive and quick on the draw to help us succeed. After our prior experiences it feels strange
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes all sound posiive. In particular, several appear likely to improve the gaming experience: 1) the new A/C system, 2) outside grill area (faster food means more time to game), 3) ski lift passes (less time in transit means more time to game).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost like they want our business for the long haul...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good -- just make sure they keep/stock up on the ice cream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Williams
Morocco
flag msg tools
There was a tie for fifth with both Gareth Williams and Rich Shipley scoring 51 points. Gareth has run The Napoleonic Wars for the past five years as well as helping to administer several other games in an AGM capacity. His three heats of the six-hour game as well as a special learning game to indoctrinate new members has helped keep the event at the top of the laurel food chain. He is certainly one of our most involved international members, bringing both himself and a variety of unique themed prizes across the pond from Morocco.

I would like to thank the Academy for my nomination
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes sound great. Really looking forward to more food options and the possibility of a weekly activity pass.

I hardly knew Jason (really only met him this year) but was very sorry to hear of his being taken from us. RIP

Congratulations John on GM of the Year. My first WBC (only 3 years ago) I was told by many that Facts in Five was one of the highlights of the week and that I needed to not miss it. It was true that year and has never disappointed since. Truly well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Corrado

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Thank you very much! It's a huge honor to be nominated for GM of the Year, let alone win it, and I'm thrilled and humbled by the award. I'll try to keep improving Fi5 every year!

Also, wanted to say that I love the new format for event reports on the website - I think it's a lot cleaner and clearer and therefore more interesting. You guys have been doing a great job with the website overhaul!

ardrummo wrote:
Congratulations John on GM of the Year. My first WBC (only 3 years ago) I was told by many that Facts in Five was one of the highlights of the week and that I needed to not miss it. It was true that year and has never disappointed since. Truly well deserved.

And congrats to you on second place - you put a huge amount of effort into the con, and the events are always better for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I generally like the layout for the event reports, but I do miss seeing the event history and laurels right on the page, and you now have to click through to see it.

On that note, Amun-re is missing the event history information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewE wrote:
I generally like the layout for the event reports, but I do miss seeing the event history and laurels right on the page, and you now have to click through to see it.

On that note, Amun-re is missing the event history information.

I'm pretty sure that they only have the first few alphabetically done for the laurels part. It's probably safe to assume it will all be updated in the next couple of weeks.

Better we see the writeups and wait for the laurels than it all being delayed for a couple of weeks :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news about possibly spreading activity passes over multiple days, this will be very helpful when attending with family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew would be correct. They will all be updated--we just needed to get the event reports posted in time for voting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing it's missing now is how many Laurels were handed out on a given year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I promise you will get the laurel counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:

Let's see. . . .$3 for one scoop, $3.50 for three scoops, what should I get????whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:

Let's see. . . .$3 for one scoop, $3.50 for three scoops, what should I get????whistle

This. How did they not know they were hosting a convention full of mix-maxing optimizers? So much ice cream consumed by my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They probably know it and are supporting dairy farmers or have a weightloss business on the side ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Yope
United States
Saint Clair
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting a more permanent/less dangerous AC set up in the Ski Lodge was a real concern for me. Power cables across the floor was very Host like.

Seeing the young B-17 people putting their coffees on top of the temporary fuse box (that was strapped to a hand cart) was too much for me. I had to go alert them to the seriousness of their actions!!!

Now the management just needs to look into opening the Foggy Goggle as THE late night bar hang out. As bad as the Host was it still had a nice location to lounge and drink. Really didn't have that at Seven Springs.

Pretty much all other issues I had were minor and of my own doing (snacks, extra food, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Yope
United States
Saint Clair
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it felt a little weird looking at the write up I did for History of the World and seeing an editorial comment at the beginning from Don.

It was a complement!!!!surpriseblush

Someone needs to check on him or something. Is he getting soft in his last days as CD? Are we sure it isn't an alien who has taken his place?

Is this what we have to look forward to in his retirement? What next- Don smiling and playing Slapshot?

Don't know if I can handle it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:

If you answered anything less than 6 scoops, you'd be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:

I've taken to being willing to pay more for a smaller serving than for a larger one. The extra lifespan is worth way more than the cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoper wrote:
Also, it felt a little weird looking at the write up I did for History of the World and seeing an editorial comment at the beginning from Don.

It was a complement!!!!surpriseblush

Someone needs to check on him or something. Is he getting soft in his last days as CD? Are we sure it isn't an alien who has taken his place?

Is this what we have to look forward to in his retirement? What next- Don smiling and playing Slapshot?

Don't know if I can handle it?

I didn't think to check until reading your post, but someone at the BPA made multiple changes to the After Action Report I submitted, some stylistic and some editorial.

I am not happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Yope
United States
Saint Clair
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he fudged a couple spots in my write up too, but nothing bad. I think the few places that I spotted an issue it was probably a formatting situation. When he takes my file and then works with it to get a final product on the website, there can be times when bullets get mixed together.

There have been other years where I have been a bit miffed by a thing or two that he changed around/edited. But I learned from that have upped my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.