$30.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Wilderness War» Forums » Strategy

Subject: French Strategy: Coping with Play of the "Vaudreuil Inteferes" Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff G.

Reisterstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When the British play the "Vaudreuil Interferes" card for the Event, Montcalm usually winds up getting packed off to Ohio Forks, where he is 20 or 21 spaces away from the main scene of the action in the upper reaches of Lake Champlain.

How do experienced French players usually handle this situation? Do you bite the bullet and try and get him back to Carillon/Ticonderoga ASAP, at the cost of losing probably 5-6 Operations Points to get him back and have his replacement move to the Ohio?

Or do you adopt the view that "When a CDG gives you lemons, make lemonade," and try to use him to your advantage in Virginia?

Or is the answer "It depends" -- perhaps most notably on whether Wolfe has entered the game yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should cost that many OPs points. Using rivers and lakes he can get back to Montreal in two moves' you can also split OPs to move him for 1 OP as well as auxiliaries with any other OPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sent Montclam in various places and he has always become my undoing so I don't think Vaudreuil Interferes is all that bad for French and have started to think that it is actually devious French ploy disguised as British card. .

Sent Montclam to Ohio Forks, he mounted defense there retreating to Niagara and eventually holding it out with his meager forces long enough to win the game. Meanwhile Levis took over his previous job elsewhere and did good work.

Sent the man to Louisbourg that I could not take anyway in any foreseeable future, and he stood there for a year waiting until I had mounted enough forces to attack it. He defended, I was about to mount assault and kill the bugger when he played surrender and got away with the garrison.

In both of cases, I think factually I caused myself more harm than good (but that is hardly unusual and probably everyone that has played Birtish can attest the ineptitude of the commanders at least once). Learned that to use the card one has to be fairly certain that you will receive immediate benefit for the man being where he is, or make him become leader of stack that is about to experience immediate demise.

French are not as solely dependent on Montclam as British are dependent on Wolfe. There is good number of fairly decent commanders in French army and mobility of the armies is excellent because of the readily available auxiliaries and relatively cheap activations.

British do not have as many and they are either "fast" but poor, or poor and expensive (fighting as regulars only in wilderness is pretty tough, and every bonus you can muster counts). Without light infantry, or sporacid auxiliary units, they British are not going anywhere in a hurry so French have good enough time to use interior lines to be where British are not (note that for relocating purposes cost of moving sole leader is just any card and he can travel pretty far).

As French, if you can put (VP) pressure in the direction of Montclams new location (or move the fight somewhere where Births are not at the moment, like raiding all important supply lines), British really cannot ignore you, and will have to waste resources to send him out. That means they are not pursuing their original plan as vigorously as they would have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G.

Reisterstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I figured potentially 5-6 Ops points because it will take Montcalm more than 2 Ops to get from Ohio Forks to Ticonderoga (20 or 21 spaces, depending on whether you go along the western of eastern shore of Lake Ontario). Conversely, it will take at least 2 Ops to get a replacement leader from Montreal to Ohio Forks, and more if he's coming from Ticonderoga.

One play pointer here would seem to be that if you are going to move Montcalm back, move him late in the year so he can join the main French army in winter quarters at Montreal. He can then lead them south in the spring, and thus you can avoid expending an additional Ops point to get him from St, Jean or Winooski to to Carillon/Ticonderoga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G.

Reisterstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And thanks for your thoughts and the examples, Juha. I likewise had one game where I was able to make good use of Montcalm in Virginia for a while, but also had another where that extra +1 Tactical Rating point that he offers above what Levis provides would have made a critical difference in the Champlain Valley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of burning so many OPS to move the leader back to Montreal, activate him individually along with Auxiliaries; this will only cost 2-3 OPS as well as let accomplish other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.