Subject: Best way to get some feedback on early ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane W

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone

I've been brainstorming with my brother for about a week and we have a lot of ideas that I feel are awesome. But I'd really like some feedback to see if maybe we're missing something obvious that just wouldn't work before we get really heavy into developing it.

I'm wondering the best way to do this. Should I just type up a big post about the mechanics we've come up with so far? Or is there a better way? Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Write up how it plays and what the goals are. Present it to people. Go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Just go through one turn of your game, explaining the stuff as you go.

And add a list of components used for that turn. So, as you're going through the turn you can, in short, explain what different components do.

For me, that is the best way to ascertain what is going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to get feedback is to share with people who are not trying to be nice to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
The best way to get feedback is to share with people who are not trying to be nice to you.

+1 to this... of course, if they give constructive feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a rough prototype out of paper and ripped paper and pencil. See how a couple of turns play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:
Make a rough prototype out of paper and ripped paper and pencil. See how a couple of turns play.

You can certainly type up some of your ideas and run them by the anonymous internet for feedback. But +1 to getting out of the realm of theory and into the realm of hands-on. Standard playing cards, dice, tokens from other games as similar as possible to represent your concepts, sharpies on the poker cards for any special text you need (or standard note cards), draw a board on the back of a pizza box - quick and dirty components so you can see how your mechanics feel and work in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.