Subject: A CROWD OF SURVIVORS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying I am not one who likes that whole zombie nonsense, allthough I guess a zombie apocolypse might be a good thing for at least people would stop ignoring eachother in the Streets.

Anyway.
After so many good reviews and the anticipation of a fun paint job I dove in head first. Fingers crossed 'the water is not too shallow'.

Didn't go for all these special guest as for now I don't really see the point. On the other hand I did go for all the monsters.

So at the moment I'm trying to decided on the Hero 1 pack.
It has 5 more survivors....
Oh goody 5 more fun paintjobs to do but..... do I need them.

The base game gives me 4 or 5 heroes - yeah my order is underway as we speak - wulfsburg gives me another 4, so that makes 8 or 9.

So what is the point in getting even more heroes.
As I understand it you can't use them all at once anyway, so most of them will stand by, watching at the edge of the board as their paint dries.

Now as the also offer all these special guests, giving the gamea mini series feel, there must be a point to having more.

Maybe the only point is them making more money, but I'd like to believe I've missed something and there is actually a reason for me to want them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Each survivor has a different set of skills, so they play differently. If you only have the basegame, all 6 will be in every game, so having a few more will add variety.

You don't really need the dozens that came with the kickstarter, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pfoo, good thing I'm not into kickstarter.

But after the base game and added to that wulfsburg, should I still want hero pack 1?

I'm very unlikely to ever get into the special guests as that's just a money pitt waiting to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
I'm very unlikely to ever get into the special guests as that's just a money pitt waiting to happen.

You're right. I went for lots of heroes, and I am sure I have characters I will never use (but I loved painting them and my rpg-playing fans can borrow them).

Stop with what you've got, unless you begin to feel you need a bit more variety - then go for the hero pack when you feel like it - it's a decent set of extras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Peter/Stephanie,

So don't bother with the hero pack for now.
What's in the base game and the expansion should keep me happy for quite a while.

Better to go for that when I feel the game needs more diversions and put in on future purchases list with them doors.

Thanks for helping me decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ludlam
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the base game, Wolfsburg and hero pack 1 and feel it's worth it. It's nice to play with different characters and combinations.

See how you get on with what you have but hero pack 1 is a good set if you feel you'd like more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course in most cases you don't use all the monsters either.

And as I understand it the heroes are so different that using a differet one will change the game.

But at one point you will have found you favorite hero and so the others will simply have been a bit of a waste of money.

I have the strong suspicion that having created a popular game, they now will milk it for all the miniatures they can.
So you are bound to end up with an ever growing stream of heroes.

Maybe better to limit your choice then to get freaked out with too many options, allthough I reckon al lot of fun will be had painting stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't need the miniatures you can try to trade the survivor cards with other BGG users. In most of the expansion packs cards for different translations are included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one who went all-in (almost) on the survivors (there are still several guest series I don't have but they are on my Christmas wish list I think we have over 60 survivors so far.
What we enjoy doing is cycling through the survivors by drawing six of them at random for each game. That ensures every survivor sees the board eventually and it adds great variety to game play. We each draw two and choose one to play, putting the other back into the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over 60, wow you really went all in.

Sounds like it makes things interesting, especially if you play a lot, but quite an investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Over 60, wow you really went all in.

Sounds like it makes things interesting, especially if you play a lot, but quite an investment.

Don't get to play as much as I would like but we're about half way through our second cycle through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, some day when we really get into this game and enjoy it, I may decide to get more heroes.

But for the time being I think I'll be at it quite some time before I get bored with what the game{s} bring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike dalziel
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi freddy
I bought the hero 1 pack and the figures are very nice. It also gives you another set of starter weapons I think. I play with a random pick of characters and weapons and with the 15 heroes I have it gives a new look to each game.
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not dimissed the purchase, just delayed it for now.

Common sense went out the window with this game anyway, so I bought a lot of stuff before even having played the game.

So.... I'll see if I enjoy it as much as everybody predicts and then I'll no doubt go for heroes 1 and doors.

Still, being a cheapskate at heart, I'll probably be able to resist the special guests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
mbmb
If you enjoy the game and have run through each scenerio with all your urvivors, then expand to more. Otherwise, not needed. Still playing with the 6 in the expansion. Not touched the 4 that came with it or the 1 special guest box I purchased.

But they are minis you get to paint so there is 1 plus to getting them if you never play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end it was the minis that were the downfall of me.

The idea of getting into painting and making them look really good-ish, turned out irresistable.

So I bought the base game and wolfsburg.

NPC1 and NPC2

Zombie bosses and dead eye walkers

Crowz, allthough I still think the minis are not diverse enough, but the idea of things going through walls sounded like fun..

And after loooooooong consideration, I decided to throw away money on the doors aswell.

Still not played the game, I decided I needed to do the painting first.

Painting errr.. lets say life got in the way of kicking that off.

But with luck I may find some time in the next month or so.

Wouldn't surprise me if more zombicide will be on my next Christmas list.
Hopefully we've played a few games by then if not.... ah who cares..
These minis look really great.... irrisistable.

Mind you I probably would not have gotten into it if they only had the regular zombie game. The mediëval theme really appeals to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you bought all the right stuff - personally, I love the doors, too. I hope you get to play, so all your purchases are worthwhile. In the meantime, enjoy your painting, and don't rush it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Peter/Stephanie,

At first I was convinced the doors would be a waste of money, after all you really do not need them.

But once I got them I did not regret spending the extra money.
They really ad something to the game.

As a matter a fact I wished they'd made the walls 3D aswell.
Some clever dicks actually did this themselves, but not being that handy I'd better stick to painting first.

I must confess, I may at one point even consider getting some of those hero packs, allthough there being so many it may be a task to figure out in what order to get those.

Fingers crossed they'll have some other expansions for us come Christmas, so I won't see myself forced to get into heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there news of any new black plaque expansions?

I've just checked my regular shop, but it almost seems like they now concentrate on the Original game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Is there news of any new black plaque expansions?

I've just checked my regular shop, but it almost seems like they now concentrate on the Original game again.

Have you missed Zombicide: Green Horde?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Den Namen nach hatte ich keine Ahnung dass es zu BLACK PLAQUE gehort.

Meist heissen die ja zombicide black plaque, while when es zombicide heisst ist es immer die moderne Version.

Aber es stimmt und jetzt schnell nachkucken ob dass auch noch bei meinem regularen geschaft zu haben ist.

Danke.

{translation for non German speakers: Thanks! )
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.