15 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » General

Subject: Worst tech 3 unit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know that tech 3 units are really strong, but what is the worst one according to you? Mine is probably

She does not do anything on the turn you play her (cannot even block efficiently since she is flying) and in general is not much of a threat compared to other tech 3 units. Oh and she is legendary so you cannot even play the second one once you draw it.

What is yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My least favorite so far is Hero's Monument. I think it's the weakest tech 3 because it has such a marginal effect the turn it comes into play, it's not that hard to shut down, and it doesn't offer nearly the same degree of board dominance as the other slow tech 3 options. And the other slow tech 3 options can actually gain haste if you pair them with Blood.

I agree that Jade Fox normally doesn't do a lot the turn she arrives, but if you can manage to pull off Jade Fox + Fox Den Students in a single turn, it feels pretty nice. Admittedly that's not consistent enough, particularly if your opponent has access to strong hero removal. However, Setsuki's maxband makes it a little easier to manage from a deck cycling and card draw perspective, and it was so much fun when I pulled it off that I'm probably not as critical of Jade Fox as I should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Jade Fox at least affects the existing Ninjas you've got on the table. And she can single-handedly fill the patrol zone with swift striking fliers, which might be some use against purple maybe? I've also pulled off the Jade Fox + Fox's Den Students pairing once, which does win the game.

My candidate is Leviathan, the Present Tech III. I assume this is a balancing manoeuvre because Present Tech II is so strong. Leviathan is certainly disappointing from a board impact point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you mean Octavian?

How in the world does Jedo Fox and Fox's Den win the game? You get these ninjas out and they do nothing that turn. Your opponent can just destroy fox's den the following turn?

After I had cleared the whole board and had a giant army out my opponent played http://codexcarddb.com/card/ebbflow_archon

with
for the most insane combo I have every seen in codex ^ it cleared the board and everything else I played from that point even when I gave it entangling vines it didn't really help ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
do you mean Octavian?

How in the world does Jedo Fox and Fox's Den win the game? You get these ninjas out and they do nothing that turn. Your opponent can just destroy fox's den the following turn?

Fox' Den Student give haste to ninja. So you have a 4/6 + eight 1/1 who have flying haste stealth and swift strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:
My candidate is Leviathan, the Present Tech III. I assume this is a balancing manoeuvre because Present Tech II is so strong. Leviathan is certainly disappointing from a board impact point of view.

Octavian is a very strong Tech III. It is slow, but the turn after it comes in play, if it is still there, you basically win the game. If you can cast Now! on it the turn it arrives and have the gold, you win the game right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
She does not do anything on the turn you play her (cannot even block efficiently since she is flying)

How is she less efficient at blocking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because she is flying. Flying units do not block walking units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:

Jade Fox always paints funny images in my head, with ninjas flying involuntarily over steaming forest, up and down like yo-yos, wondering what happened to them, trying to touch the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PiHalbe wrote:
Muemmelmann wrote:

Jade Fox always paints funny images in my head, with ninjas flying involuntarily over steaming forest, up and down like yo-yos, wondering what happened to them, trying to touch the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Hero's Monument off the top of my head, but after looking at Octavian it might be him, I don't know.

Also, while we're critiquing Tech IIIs, is anyone else bothered by the fact that the Oathkeeper Tech 3 unit is a Strength unit? His theme seems perfect for "Discipline" spec. I get they wanted Grave's father to be with the Grave hero, but... he Oathkeeper seems so perfect for Discipline that it almost seems like a typo.

I also wish the Demon tech 3 unit had a drawback to work around like the rest of the Demonology spec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah looking at heros monument it is also not very impressive, probably worse than Jade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Wildhorn wrote:

Octavian is a very strong Tech III. It is slow, but the turn after it comes in play, if it is still there, you basically win the game. If you can cast Now! on it the turn it arrives and have the gold, you win the game right there.

It's not strong in comparison to most other Tech III units. It will still win you the game, but if and only if

*you get to untap with it
*the opponent doesn't have an army with significant invisible, untargetable, resist or haste components.
*the opponent has a win condition that requires their forces to be untapped - not like spells or a combo of in-play abilities
*the opponent doesn't have any sort of spell or non-exhaust ability which can remove an 8 health tech III unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds about right. See my whole list here: http://forums.sirlingames.com/t/card-ratings-tech-iii/283
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric: very nice analysis. Bravo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.