Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I know that I'm probably going to feel like an idiot here, but...

I'm playing the solo variant and cursing up a storm (scaring my cats) as I can't get my engine built fast enough with the only 1-2 actions I'm allowed before ending my turn, but then...I realize that in a multiple-player game it doesn't just end at the 1-2 actions, it still comes back around for more! Duh! Ok...so how does this factor into the solo variant? Do I just keep on taking actions until I decide I'm done or can't do anything anymore? Yes, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I feel silly...blush

But also freaking happy I can use all this blasted heat! (Playing Helion Corp.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
But please don't call me Jerry.
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this my first solo play as well. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You need to perform 42 steps of global parameter increases in order to terraform the planet - that wouldn't exactly be doable with only 14*2 actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Keep in mind that actions on blue cards are still only usable once per generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the cats doing in the Game Room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
What are the cats doing in the Game Room?

Helping.

(Also, the "game room" is the dining room / living room.)

(Also also, it's their house, too...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HvKjr wrote:
(Also also, it's their house...)

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
HvKjr wrote:

FTFY

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
HvKjr wrote:
Snapshot wrote:
HvKjr wrote:

FTFY

?

While some of us who live with cats may think we own anything, house, couches, chairs, beds, food, etc, it is in fact the cats that are the sole owners of all that can be seen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Relax wrote:
HvKjr wrote:
Snapshot wrote:
HvKjr wrote:

FTFY

?

While some of us who live with cats may think we own anything, house, couches, chairs, beds, food, etc, it is in fact the cats that are the sole owners of all that can be seen...

I think the question mark was what does FTFY mean (= Fixed that for you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vergililus De Kat
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:

Dogs have masters, cats have servants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loftus
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sooo glad you asked that!! I just made that mistake on my first solo and was obviously nowhere near. Now that makes sense!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played 3 solo games and haven't come close to winning. Would like to know what others are experiencing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emcher wrote:
Have played 3 solo games and haven't come close to winning. Would like to know what others are experiencing.

Are you taking unlimited actions before the end of the round? You are not limited to two actions per generation. You get any number of them and, when you cannot take anymore (due to lack of resources or cards or actions on cards) you pass, produce, and start a new round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
emcher wrote:

Are you taking unlimited actions before the end of the round? You are not limited to two actions per generation. You get any number of them and, when you cannot take anymore (due to lack of resources or cards or actions on cards) you pass, produce, and start a new round.

Yes, I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just cheat like i do.... Oh nooooo the table got bumped.... Was i on 12th round or only 8! Hehehehe.

Im teasing. Id never cheat. Also not tried solo yet but watched some solo plays.... Luck of the draw seems like a huge factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evilnox wrote:
Just cheat like i do.... Oh nooooo the table got bumped.... Was i on 12th round or only 8! Hehehehe.

Im teasing. Id never cheat. Also not tried solo yet but watched some solo plays.... Luck of the draw seems like a huge factor.

The luck of the draw is very prominent from what I've experienced, although it's only been 3 games. Since I was playing with a friend's copy, and have given it back, I won't be able to get back to it anytime soon.

I've been wondering if taking out the Corporate Era cards might help reduce some of the luck of the draw. Again, I'm not familiar with all those cards yet to know if this would be hurting or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many unique cards that I don't think removing Corporate Era ones would matter. What if you did something like: beginning of each round draw four sets of four cards, and you can buy one card from each set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Guthier
msg tools
mbmb
You can play it on Tabletop Simulator if you have that on Steam on a PC/Mac. That is a great option for those who don't own a physical copy. That is often on sale for $10 (no subscription) with literally thousands of games that can be loaded into the simulation. Crazy cool for out of print games.

I also try to focus on engine building that will knock down the Oxygen, Temp, or Oceans with blue cards. Examples are the cards that trade 4 energy for an Oxygen + a steel resource, or the one that can add then remove 2 microbes for an Oxygen every third generation, or play an ocean for 12, and can pay with steel. Getting those types of cards out early can knock of a huge portion of Oxygen, and let the rest of the engine building focus on the other goals. I've only played solo 5 times, but am 4/5 wins. I'm sure my early games had errors, so those numbers might be skewed!

Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbyboy wrote:
You can play it on Tabletop Simulator if you have that on Steam on a PC/Mac. That is a great option for those who don't own a physical copy. That is often on sale for $10 (no subscription) with literally thousands of games that can be loaded into the simulation. Crazy cool for out of print games.

I also try to focus on engine building that will knock down the Oxygen, Temp, or Oceans with blue cards. Examples are the cards that trade 4 energy for an Oxygen + a steel resource, or the one that can add then remove 2 microbes for an Oxygen every third generation, or play an ocean for 12, and can pay with steel. Getting those types of cards out early can knock of a huge portion of Oxygen, and let the rest of the engine building focus on the other goals. I've only played solo 5 times, but am 4/5 wins. I'm sure my early games had errors, so those numbers might be skewed!

Good Luck

And the key is "Getting those types of cards out early". If not, you're pretty well doomed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Guthier
msg tools
mbmb
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Again, I'm only 5 solo's into it, and the last two I used that strategy. There are many blue cards to add microbes, and also green cards to add microbes to any card. When they come up, they fit in perfectly to boost what is already being done. Another key early card type to get out are the ones that increase the value of steel/titanium, or to reduce the cost of every card played. Do the math to make sure there are enough generations left to offset the cost of playing them, since they are not cheap.

I would recommend watching "Nerd E" on you-tube who recorded 12 solo games, playing each corporation. Watching them helped to grasp the 208 options out there!

Good Luck,
Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Memphis
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emcher wrote:

And the key is "Getting those types of cards out early". If not, you're pretty well doomed?

Not really. I've played 18 solos games so far and am 13-5 at this point. Two of the five I lost, I am pretty sure if I had had all the same cards again, with what I've learned about how to play, I would have won those two as well.

Some tips I've found for winning solo, in addition to the ones noted above about looking for certain blue cards that can really help your engine get going.

1) Don't buy too many cards. I won't pay for any card I don't think I can or will get out in the next 2-3 Generations. It may seem good, but you just tied up 3MC you could have used elsewhere and by the time you can get it out, you will have probably seen other cards just as good, if not better.

[Lesson Learned From: Losing by being a few MC short at the end for things I needed to do and still having a bunch of cards in hand that were now useless or superfluous.]

2) While you don't want to BUY too many cards, you want to SEE as many as possible. In the solo game, your base limit is seeing 62 cards (10 original, 13 x 4 generational) out of 208. The more you can see or get for free, the more choices and options you give yourself. So keep an eye out for anything that lets you get to more cards than the initial 62.

[Lesson Learned From: Losing by bad card draw luck from my regular allotment of cards. More cards = less chance of bad card luck.]

3) Patience, grasshopper. Don't panic if you're like halfway through the game and you've only gotten a quarter of your terraforming done or less. That's probably about right. There is not a linear progression, your corporation at the end should be turning out multiple terraforming jumps per generation by the end game. It's tempting in TM to terraform early to feel more secure AND bump up your income, but often the +10 income for raising Oxygen in Generation 3, can be made up from a more efficient engine later one. An example is spending 20+ MC on a space card event that bumps Heat or Oceans by multiple bumps on an early turn when you could build a titanium producing engine to drop several space card events in successive generations later on for a much lower MC cost.

[Lesson Learned From: Losing by terraforming too early at the expense of better engine development that would have paid off more in the long run.]

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also found that, while I tend to ignore the Standard Projects in multiplayer games, I can't afford to in solo games. Budgeting for those "sure fire" methods of terraforming and striking the balance between cards and SPs is key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.