Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Like we all know, new wooden components are too big and useless.

Besides the fact that Splotter should do that, I am looking for replacements for those components.

I know I can use wooden cubes and i will most probably do this first but I would like to find cool and little wooden components like oil drops, etc.

Anyone knows or was already looking for such bits?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonemaier games do treasure chests full of realistic resource pieces. Not sure if they would cover everything needed, but worth a look.

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/treasure-chests/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i actually like the new wooden pieces. i don't really get why anyone would complain about them? it just seems pretty petty tbh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are cool, but I would like to have "wood on the board" all the time, not only during selling

And for me, putting them on board is pretty much useless

Thanks Mark for the point, but I am afraid not all of indonesia resources can be covered with Stonemaiers resources
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.spielematerial.de is a great website for board game components.

They don't have everything you're looking for, but here's their page dedicated to different goods:
https://www.spielematerial.de/de/spielmaterial/spielsteine/w...

They also provide a number of different wooden boats:
https://www.spielematerial.de/de/spielmaterial/spielsteine/t...

I've bought various items from them in the past and have been happy with their service. They also have some items that you can add to your order for free!
https://www.spielematerial.de/de/spielmaterial/kostenfrei-da...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3-player solo game and found that using them for deliveries worked pretty well. Makes things much clearer from across the table as you see your opponent's stack of microwave dinners and you can immediately calculate that not shipping those first is going to cost you too much to bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse Custer wrote:
I played a 3-player solo game and found that using them for deliveries worked pretty well. Makes things much clearer from across the table as you see your opponent's stack of microwave dinners and you can immediately calculate that not shipping those first is going to cost you too much to bear.

Placing cubes as goods on the plantations and moving those to the cities during operation phase lets you directly see which plantation has sold all goods and may expand. In my opinion it gives also greater visual appeal to the whole board. Just moving the good from next-to-the-board to the cities and then again off the board does not sound that appealing to me.

In general: Whatever replacements you choose to take for the good tokens, they should be easy to handle. Operations phase is fiddly enough and taken cylinders as oil barrels (they have a tendendy to roll around), rice corns as rice and some grinded pepper as spice might be thematic but would certainly not improve on the fiddliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure which one I like more, I also put the stack of goods on the plantations and that works well as long as you know who's shipping what - I guess sometimes it doesn't matter who more than what... My first game I'll suggest the plantations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how the game should be pimped.

Using these game bits, tracking the shipping cost and steps with those numbers printed on the board and poker chips you can easily shave about 90 to 120 minutes off playing time. IMO making the game just that much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

Placing cubes as goods on the plantations and moving those to the cities during operation phase lets you directly see which plantation has sold all goods and may expand. In my opinion it gives also greater visual appeal to the whole board. Just moving the good from next-to-the-board to the cities and then again off the board does not sound that appealing to me.

In general: Whatever replacements you choose to take for the good tokens, they should be easy to handle. Operations phase is fiddly enough and taken cylinders as oil barrels (they have a tendendy to roll around), rice corns as rice and some grinded pepper as spice might be thematic but would certainly not improve on the fiddliness.

Could you share what cube size and quantity of each you use?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8bit Geezer wrote:
ringo84 wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

Could you share what cube size and quantity of each you use?
Thanks

I use 8mm cubes (as standard as it can get). You can buy as much cubes as there are plantation chits or just the same number as the wooden tokens in the game. I chose for 30 cubes each for rice, spice, and siap faji, 25 rubber and 20 oil. I think these numbers are abundant and probably you can buy at least 5 less in each category and it would not be game breaking if you run out of cubes in some special cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the cubes sorted then

How about wooden ships from spielmaterial.de . Anyone know of quantities needed and would you need different types of ships?

Ps. Do you think the 8mm cubes work better than 10mm ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:

How about wooden ships from spielmaterial.de . Anyone know of quantities needed and would you need different types of ships?

I asked this very question in a different thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1491303/reprint-2016/page/1...

I was looking at these boats: https://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/game-pieces...

Not sure how to insert quotes from other threads, so here's the answer in inverted commas...

"They'd probably work better than the ships in the first edition, though you might have to put them flat on the board. The question is, of course, how much you would be willing to spend. Theoretically all shipping companies could merge to one big one, which means that you need something like 20 ships of a single color. But if none of the shipping companies merge, you need something like 5 ships of each color. So if you really want to be able to deal with all possibilities, you would need six different colors of ships, in the amounts 5, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21 (or something like this). 80 ships total -- not that pricey, but I think the link offers only 5 different colors." Flyboy Connor

And a bit later:

"Probably 15 ships of 6 colors would suffice -- maybe with one or two colors having 5 more, just in case the really exceptional situation occurs that 5 companies merge (I said 6 in my previous post on this, but that is actually not possible according to the rules)." Flyboy Connor

Even though Spielmaterial only offers 5 colours, I bought extra grey boats to spraypaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChillusMaximus wrote:
Using these game bits, tracking the shipping cost and steps with those numbers printed on the board and poker chips you can easily shave about 90 to 120 minutes off playing time. IMO making the game just that much better.
Could you explain a bit more about how all that works? I have only just obtained my copy and haven't yet opened it. I can get the revised map printed easily enough, but I don't quite understand how you can shave-off so much time. It would make the game so much more possible to play if I could achieve that! (But maybe it needs deep knowledge of the game which I don;t yet have before that can be achieved).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
branstonoriginal wrote:
biffta wrote:

I asked this very question in a different thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1491303/reprint-2016/page/1...

I was looking at these boats: https://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/game-pieces...

I bought those ships in two colors and they are a bit long. You can also buy four colors of those ships ([geekurl=https://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/game-pieces/transports/schiffe/ships-kingdom-builder.html]Link[/geekurl]) and two colors of these ([geekurl=https://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/game-pieces/transports/schiffe/caravel.html]Link[/geekurl]), unless you mind different shapes for ships (even though the second type of ships could be used as the companies entering in the second era).

15 ships of each color is rather much. Just buy 7 of two colors four the two smallest companies (and if they merge with each other), 13 of the next two colors (for mergers of three companies) and 17 of the last two for mergers of up to four companies. In very rare cases of mergers of 5 companies, just use two colors for the same company.
You could also add one more ship for each color such that players can put the ships in front of themselves to better show the ownership of the company.

However, if you buy wooden ships you have to go with colors representing companies, not players. For the latter you would need many more ships that would completely clutter your box.

@biffta: I have not thought about 10mm cubes. I do not see any reason why they are better or worse. If you have some at home, just try which of these is more easily picked up by hand (probably the 10mm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
ChillusMaximus wrote:
Could you explain a bit more about how all that works? I have only just obtained my copy and haven't yet opened it. I can get the revised map printed easily enough, but I don't quite understand how you can shave-off so much time. It would make the game so much more possible to play if I could achieve that! (But maybe it needs deep knowledge of the game which I don;t yet have before that can be achieved).

Here is my response to the same question in a different thread:

ChillusMaximus wrote:
The pawns are city markers. In 3 levels, green-1st, yellow-2nd, red-3rd. The city markers are a fixed number, I don't recall the exact number off my head, but the amount is fixed.

The blackish transparent cubes show which goods have been delivered to the city. Each row has a color that represents the type of good.

The colored cubes are ships for the shipping companies. They go on top of the printed numbers on the map to show how many shipments they have transported during that turn. I have about 20 cubes in 5 different colors for that purpose. In 20+ games played, I've never needed more. During the course of the game shipping companies will merge into fewer conglomerates and the need for at least 20 cubes in 1 or 2 colors is paramount.

Hope this helps, I've not played the game in a while now.

I really need to get it to the table again. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.