Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Györög
Austria
Klagenfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules says to do in order:

Level 3 goods set
do i have first to build set of identical goods an with the rest i can build set of different goods ...

OR

may i decide as i wish to build first set of different goods and with the rest set of identical goods?

Greetings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way that list is put together and the wording implies, to me, that you do all your level 3 goods sets at once, deciding which good is part of which set.

There is no order to which type of set you do first, just that you do all of them first.

So if I had 7 cakes, 2 sweaters, 2 bottles, and 1 glass thing (can't recall the names), I could put them together however I want, but each good can only be included as part of one set.

I could put together
1 set of 4 different goods (1c,1s,1b,1g)
2 sets of 3 different goods (2c,2s,2b)
1 set of 4 identical goods (4c)

Order isn't really important, it's that each good can only be used as part of one set, and you do them all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it say in order then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
Why does it say in order then?

The list is organized this way (I'm going to number the steps so it it is easier to see what you do in order):

1: Level 3 Good Sets (which includes Sets of Identical goods, and Sets of Different Goods)
2: Money for industrial improvements B
3: Unsold Goods

The two things listed under the heading "Level 3 goods sets" are just two distinct things you do, and you do them first.

Look at how the list is organized

Level 3 goods sets
Sets of Identical Goods
Sets of Different Goods
Money for industrial improvements B
Unsold Goods

I believe if the intention was to score them in a very specific order like you think it may mean, then they would have been listed like this.

Level 3 Sets of Identical Goods
Level 3 Sets of Different Goods
Money for industrial improvements B
Unsold Goods

I could be wrong, but because of how it reads in the rulebook, this is how we play it.

Also if you think about it, you'd never get to score Sets of Different goods if you did the scoring "in order" because all goods you have can be scored under the "Set of Identical Goods" category, leaving none for the "Set of Different Goods" category.

7 cakes, 4 sweaters, 1 bottle, and 3 glasses could all be scored as a "Set of Identical Goods" and you wouldn't even be able to consider any of them for a "Set of Different Goods" because of the rule that states each good can only be part of one set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff T
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the last post by Murr.

It will always be best to score the set of different items first, because they are worth more points.

- Make the biggest different item set you can. Score it. Put those cards away.
- Repeat the above until you can't make a set of 2 or more different items.
- Score your remaining cards as an identical set if possible.

Take a simple example. I have two cakes and four vests.
- 2 x (cake + vest) = 2 x $10 = $20
- 2 x vest = $4
Total = $24

If I do it identical first
- 4 x vest = $15
- 2 x cake = $4
Total = $19, and as stated in the last post, you would never make a set with different items in it.
____

Second example: More complicated, I have 2 cakes, 4 vests and a dessert.
- cake + vest + dessert = $25
- cake + vest = $10
- 2 x vest = $4
Total = $39

Done identical sets first it is
- 2 x cakes = $4
- 4 x vests = $15
- 1 x dessert = $0
Total $19

Work up any example and it will always work out best to do different sets then take any left overs in the identical (should only at most be one identical set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.