Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been actively board gaming now for several years and have amassed a nice collection thus far. Mostly, I have used the BGG ratings to try and purchase my games as more often than not the cream rises to the top. I have a few very knowledgeable game friends that have also helped me to fill in the collection. I typically only attend 1 or 2 small to very small game conventions a year and like to try new games but they also usually have the latest hottest games for play as well.

So I am wondering... what great games are quietly sitting out there, ranked lower than the top couple hundred or so games, that might be diamonds in the rough. The kind that without a friend recommending or an accidental stumble across at a convention, that you would never have tried or realized was out there?

This can be in print or out of print games of any age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metropolys
Witness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Asking which games are good that are ranked lower than the top 200 is basically just asking which games are good--according to the database, that's where 99.8% of them reside!

But to narrow things down a bit more, the games I like the most outside of the top 1000 are:

The King Is Dead
Neue Heimat
Court of the Medici
After Pablo
Agamemnon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it would be Palmyra and Ferox, I think they are both ranked somewhere in the 5000 rank but they are really good games and I think they deserve more attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can find some in these threads:
Hidden Gems! (Nov 2016)
Hidden gems? (Jun-Jul 2016)
Your smaller game hidden gem recommendations (gems not essential!) (Mar 2016)
Which (abstract) area control hidden gems are missing in my collection? (Nov 2015)
Your biggest surprise from Essen (hidden gems) (Nov 2014)
30 years from now, what games will be considered "hidden gems?" (Sep 2014)
Hidden gems (Mar-May 2014)
What are your one or two of your favorite under appreciated games or "Hidden Gems"? (Sep 2013)
Hidden Gems - what are the most UNDERRATED games? (Mar 2011 - Jul 2012)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I think Queen's Necklace is criminally underrated, but I'll tell you what -- the reprint is just too damn ugly for me to recommend it without a hazard warning. The original version was gorgeous in light water colors, if you can pick it up it's a great play. Very social game, fun with friends.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frontier Stations is a game that I think gets very little buzz, but is a fantastic gateway game. It's sort of a co-operative space Machi Koro. The game is easy to teach new gamers, but quite challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both me and my friends liked Alchemist (not the newer and more known Alchemists), currently ranked 2091. It's a fast and simple resource conversion game where you build and assign values to the "conversion engines" yourself.

I reviewed it at [thread=21895260]Think like an Alchemist [/thread].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:

Too old. I wanted a fresh perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far all different (as I would think). I wonder if there will be any small concensus on 1 or 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hidden usually means games that aren't well known. You should get a pretty broad spread.

Until someone mentions Small World. That game shows up on every rec list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Hidden usually means games taht aren't well known. You should get a pretty broad spread.

Until someone mentions Small World. That game shows up on every rec list.

Yep, assumed that. Small World... haven't tried it nor heard much about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
So far all different (as I would think). I wonder if there will be any small concensus on 1 or 2?

I don't think you can get a consensus on 1 or 2 unless you specify a game type or family. Perhaps you could get a consensus from party gamers if you ask what are the hidden gem party games, but if you ask a euro gamer you could get a completely different answer. If you want a hidden gem heavy euro it doesn't make sense to ask a party gamer or a wargamer.

For me, I think the Revolution! (ranked 853) is very much underrated. I have not had a bad play experience with it (even if sometimes I get crushed by an astounding amount). I like the game because it is a simple intro to area control, with hidden bidding. It is great because there is no "best" strategy, since if an opponent knows what strategy you are using they can block you or do the same thing, and it is not longer a good strategy. For me, it is a great combination of strategy and social. I think it gets overlooked because it is a Steve Jackson game, but for me it is an evergreen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desmothenes wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

I don't think you can get a consensus on 1 or 2 unless you specify a game type or family. Perhaps you could get a consensus from party gamers if you ask what are the hidden gem party games, but if you ask a euro gamer you could get a completely different answer. If you want a hidden gem heavy euro it doesn't make sense to ask a party gamer or a wargamer.

For me, I think the Revolution! (ranked 853) is very much underrated. I have not had a bad play experience with it (even if sometimes I get crushed by an astounding amount). I like the game because it is a simple intro to area control, with hidden bidding. It is great because there is no "best" strategy, since if an opponent knows what strategy you are using they can block you or do the same thing, and it is not longer a good strategy. For me, it is a great combination of strategy and social. I think it gets overlooked because it is a Steve Jackson game, but for me it is an evergreen.

By small concensus I meant overlap of 2 or 3 people mentioning the same game. Didn't expect it, just wondering if there is something buried that is not familiar to me but may make a couple other people's list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense.

I don't know how many people like the game I suggested (Revolution!), but I do know as of recent videos it was still in Tom Vasel's collection, so he has liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Circus Train
Circus Train

(Circus Train)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
My rated 8+ but ranked 1000+ include Hearts, Neue Heimat and Clippers, and I mention this because it gives you one overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
My rated 8+ but ranked 1000+ include Hearts, Neue Heimat and Clippers, and I mention this because it gives you one overlap.

Thanks! Neue Heimat looks interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traig Born
United States
Ward
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my favorites that I consider underrated are:

Colossal Arena
High Society
Mythotpia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excape

I had to make up a mock copy of it just to play since no one I know owns it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funny ,was JUST looking at this geeklist after it triggered my subscriptions.
2016 Hidden Gems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
desmothenes wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

By small concensus I meant overlap of 2 or 3 people mentioning the same game. Didn't expect it, just wondering if there is something buried that is not familiar to me but may make a couple other people's list.

In that case, I'd like to add a vote for The King Is Dead. You only have 8 actions in the whole game but each one is extremely agonizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Might & Magic Heroes or Heads of State.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did a quick sort of games I've rated. Here are some personal 8's that have a fairly low BGG rating:

Sellswords (overall: 2,415)
Ultimate Warriorz (overall: 1,807)
Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon (this package has no rating? but the original games is 762 overall)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon (this package has no rating? but the original games is 762 overall)

Has no rating due to being multiple items packaged into one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.