Popular Tags: [View All]
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Myth 2.0 (actually bought it online thinking they were still selling the 1.0 version, so ordered the 2.0 kit from MCG before receiving the Myth core box, and was surprised to see a 2.0 rulebook inside... so if anyone wants a cheap 2.0 kit, message me separately)

I can't figure out the difference between Story and Adventure Modes. From what I gather, Adventure is more of a free form, that you pick (randomly?) quest cards from the deck that aren't chained quests (and add chain quests as you complete prerequisite quests?) and stop whenever you group wants to call it a day.

The 2.0 Rule book says that Story Mode has pre-determined structure... but I can't find anywhere in my box that has anything that defines any stories. Is this something they took out from the 1.0 core boxes, or are they referencing the downloadable "modules" from the MCG website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it right. They're referencing the downloadable content and future story quests you can purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's not a mode playable directly out of the box...

I'm primarily a Descent & Imperial Assault player, so I'm used to the included "campaign" type mode.

Do the new Journeyman expansions come with their own story/modules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^ This. I'm still a bit confused as well by what the modules offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at their site and look at the Rise of the Revenant Module. This is what their going towards with all future Story Quests.

I think they're working on turning all the Story Quests that came in the 1.0 box to modules. There might be some conversions already in the files section that users have done which are really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
Look at their site and look at the Rise of the Revenant Module. This is what their going towards with all future Story Quests.

I think they're working on turning all the Story Quests that came in the 1.0 box to modules. There might be some conversions already in the files section that users have done which are really good.

Ah, gotcha! I've actually downloaded and played some of this.

I think the issue some of us had was the difficulty. It seems you couldn't start Rise fresh, but rather needed to be a bit leveled up first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
I think they're working on turning all the Story Quests that came in the 1.0 box to modules.

They initially committed to having all the 1.0 manual stories (No Rest for the Weary, The Stone of Life, The Mad King, Common People, The Infernal Machine) converted to modules for the "patch" coming at the end of the month. Unfortunately, they scaled that commitment back to just one story. I am pretty sure that story is "The Stone of Life". This is based on the commentary from this update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United Kingdom
Whaley Bridge
High Peak
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JPN38 wrote:
I think the issue some of us had was the difficulty. It seems you couldn't start Rise fresh, but rather needed to be a bit leveled up first.

I found the same thing myself, so I had a bash at updating one of the original Story Quests into a full Module in order to bridge the gap. The idea was to create something you could play using just the Base game components that would give you enough experience/gear to have a decent attempt at Rise of the Revenant.

Bit rough around the edges, but you can download it over on the Myth files page. No Rest for the Weary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phorin wrote:
JPN38 wrote:

I found the same thing myself, so I had a bash at updating one of the original Story Quests into a full Module in order to bridge the gap. The idea was to create something you could play using just the Base game components that would give you enough experience/gear to have a decent attempt at Rise of the Revenant.

Bit rough around the edges, but you can download it over on the Myth files page. No Rest for the Weary.

Thanks! I'll have to give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can play using the quest and trap cards in a non-random manner and therefore use them and the tiles and monsters you choose to create your own adventures and play them out. I do this a lot and it is quite fun.

Basically, you can start your party out on a freeform adventure with one or two of the stand alone quests and maybe a 4x6 tile with a trap and hunting pack. Then do the "To Cut Off the Head" quest and follow the "chain" of quests to the boss fight at the end. That will give you at least one blue item, and let each surviving party member take a title which lets a hero keep an item card for the next adventure (see page 29).

The "To Cut Off the Head" quest chain is re-playable, even by the same party (with different tiles and monsters chosen) so the ability to gain another title or do a deck manipulation is always available by playing this quest chain during an adventure.

Once you get a title from playing the "To Cut Off the Head" quest chain, so you can choose to keep an item (for each title a hero owns), then you can play the other quest chains or create your own adventures using stand-alone quests or chains.

I wrote up a couple of session reports a while ago, which might help you see what I mean:

The Adventures of the Intrepid Trio - Part 1
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21771004

Party of four solo adventure across several tiles
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21583379

(Edit: Fixed a typo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
Also, you can play using the quest and trap cards in a non-random manner and therefore use them and the tiles and monsters you choose to create your own adventures and play them out. I do this a lot and it is quite fun.

Basically, you can start your party out on a freeform adventure with one or two of the stand alone quests and maybe a 4x6 tile with a trap and hunting pack. Then do the "To Cut Off the Head" quest and follow the "chain" of quests to the boss fight at the end. That will give you at least one blue item, and let each surviving party member take a title which lets a hero keep an item card for the next adventure (see page 29).

The "To Cut Off the Head" quest chain is re-playable, even by the same party (with different tiles and monsters chosen) so the ability to gain another title or do a deck manipulation is always available by playing this quest chain during an adventure.

One you get a title from playing the "To Cut Off the Head" quest chain, so you can choose to keep an item (for each title a hero owns), then you can play the other quest chains or create your own adventures using stand-alone quests or chains.

I wrote up a couple of session reports a while ago, which might help you see what I mean:

The Adventures of the Intrepid Trio - Part 1
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21771004

Party of four solo adventure across several tiles
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21583379

Thanks for the details on this quest. I'm going to give this method a try after giving Phorin's quests a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Questing is a real weak point in the system. When you buy say Zombicide Black Plague you get a whole book full of missions that seem to chain together, at least in a fluff way. They call to you!

In Myth, the point is really to choose your own adventure and play till you're tired sort of. The idea of an adventure with guided play and even a campaign was something that was (or is) and afterthought brought on by the fact that a lot of fans (like me) like the idea. And God knows you need some handholding in this game so a few guided adventures would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Questing is a real weak point in the system. When you buy say Zombicide Black Plague you get a whole book full of missions that seem to chain together, at least in a fluff way. They call to you!

In Myth, the point is really to choose your own adventure and play till you're tired sort of. The idea of an adventure with guided play and even a campaign was something that was (or is) and afterthought brought on by the fact that a lot of fans (like me) like the idea. And God knows you need some handholding in this game so a few guided adventures would be nice.

I think the freeform adventuring in Myth should be it strongest appeal (infinite replayability + can play a 1-2 board adventure on a short night etc...)

And once it has paid off for me - we had a great 4-5 hour romp and decided to stop once we had gone through the entire Green item deck (thankfully have picked up the community item pack since to ensure a bit more variety there !) maybe it was a little easy but still fun.

Where freeform has fallen down for me is no guidance to what to use. So we randomised everything: 4-8 in a hunting pack ? Roll a D10/2 and add 3! But we ended up on tile 2, using the Orcanus darkness deck, with a grubber and erm... the rat people lair on a 12x12 board. And it flooded. Three hours later, we called it, and I think I lost about 3-4 potential players that day.

So I am really holding on for the story modules, so that I have some playtested, difficulty balanced scenarios to play through. Maybe after that, I'll have enough of a "feel" for the game to be able to know when I'm pushing the difficulty too high on freeform. But I can't keep burning out potential players on this game getting them to help me figure that out.

That said, I have also yet to meet any players who gel with the idea of "you pick" for everything. Draw decks like shadows of brimstone - a hunting pack draw deck ?! - with some difficulty variants (e.g. 1-2 players, use 5 grubbers, 3-4 players use 7 grubbers) might make a very simple fix. Or dice lookup tables would be good too. Still kind of feels odd to pick the threat each and every time. Love picking the board type, selecting my risk / reward, but some randomisation of the enemies, along with some difficulty levels (e.g. never given me two lairs, one of which is for a slightly advanced minion type, for a brand new group) would certainly help.

This would probably be a user-driven thing though; for now, we are (eventually) getting story modules. And hopefully after playing a bunch of those I might be able to reverse engineer some decent randomisers for freeform questing! Without those, I didn't have the group, time or patience to pull that off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with the "adventures" it's still not really well controlled in terms of what the qualifications are for the team taking it on. This is of course modified by the skill of the PLAYERS as well as the experience of the characters (advanced cards, titles, special items, etc.).

It is therefore possible to take them on with an experienced team and feel like you're ready for the challenge, or to get slimed if you personally are inexperienced or your team lacks a needed item or advancement or both.

This is possible with Black Plague too -- specifically for how you are going to take on fatties or abominations -- but it's not as big a deal. I suspect when there ARE adventures available, that will be the next major complaint -- "Hey I took it on with what it said was the qualifications and I got slaughtered -- what did I do wrong?"

Not really sure what the solution is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the story modules will come with a rough difficulty rating on them. And then, given we are all playing the same story modules, we might be able to comment "oh no, that's a HARD 1 skull module - try this one first".

With those nicely built "on-ramps" into the game, I think we'll get a lot more people ready to just bust out some freeform quests. And maybe help with building up some sort of randomizer project, for people like me who like random and hate choosing my enemies every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.