5 Posts

Tragedy Looper» Forums » General

Subject: Will this work with an app? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Since it's a trend right now to use apps for games that require an overlord (Descent, Mansions of Madness etc) I'm wondering if the same would work in this game.

Could an AI be descent enough to possibly make this a solo game?
Or would you say the game requires not just logical deduction but a social one as well that would make it difficult to build an AI for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could make an AI for it, but I think this game is much more fun with a player as the overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game demands a lot of bluffing, and the interesting aspect is to read your opponent, try to think wha she thinks and think that she thinks what you think she thinks.

An app would defeat the whole purpose of this game, as I see it. Like playing Hanabi with AI bots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is too organic. The Mastermind isn't just reacting to moves and optimizing against them. Part of the interaction is listening in on the Protagonists' table talk and hearing what they've figured out. There's also deception and bluffing.

It might actually be easier to program Protagonists for a solo human Mastermind to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
CSerpent that's actually a very interesting idea I did not think about it.

It's just a random thought I had since sadly, I don't get to play the game as often as I'd want (read: never did anything other than the intro script) even though the game looks like such great game - I just can't get people to play it).

But since essentially, the game has a finite number of moves that maybe it's possible for an AI to work for a solo experience.

(Yes, I know it's a large number of moves with 3 players 8 cards each and 10 NPCs with 4 locations but maybe it's still manageable)

As for the bluffing, well, the AI can simulate the players. After all, the AI will always know exactly what the players will know so he can try and use a different trick each loop.

I'd say I would try to write a pseudo algorithm and see if it works, but sadly not enough potential players to test them on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.