Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Buffs and Debuffs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I may sound stupid to ask this, but the rules mentioned Buffs and Debuffs somewhere, without making clear to me what they mean or what they are.

WHat is a Buff? What is a Debuff? And what is their trait/ability/purpose/whatever?

I'm a new player. And allthough my English is good enough to understand most things, it is not my native language.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a stab at this.

Buff = Make tougher
Debuff = Make weaker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just lingo, really. A buff makes a thing stronger, and so conversely a debuff makes it weaker. The words are used as types on some spells, but they have no rules meaning and I don't believe any effects ever refer to them specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A card that says buff is a buff.
A card that says debuff is a debuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A “Buff” is an improvement to a card’s attribute/ability; a +1 health/damage/gold; or some other positive effect to a card.

A “Debuff” is the opposite. It weakens the card’s attribute/ability; a -1 health/damage/gold; or some other negative effect to a card (Dreamscape changes tech units to illusions).

In the real world ‘to Buff’ means to polish; make something nice and shiny, and look very nice. => gaming world – make something better

Debuff as a word doesn’t really exist outside of the gaming world, but would be the opposite of Buff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spell type indicate what they are.

Example:

It says "Spell - Buff". It has game implication with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
It only matters because of Nullcraft's text:

To see whether anything is a Buff or a Debuff, you have to check its type line, just after where it says "Spell". Elite Training as shown above is a Buff.

Basically, the point is to make sure that it's quite hard to increase Nullcraft's ATK. Almost all effects that grant extra ATK are Buff spells. (The exceptions are abilities on heroes or units, such as Argagarg or Sparring Partner. Those can target Nullcraft just fine.)

You do get the weird effect that black has a bit of trouble dealing with Nullcraft (though Sacrifice the Weak works just fine), but red isn't really affected because red's spells have type "Burn", not "Debuff".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Sorry for making the original post sound stupid, but I'm new to the game, and I haven't had the chance to teach it to someone; so, playing it is not yet an option at all. I never played MTG (allthough I know a bit about how to play) or Mage Wars at all, and I know "in-game deckbuilders", but most of the people I'd play games with don't know the concept of it. That makes teaching this a lot harder.

Okay, I understand. So, these words, as well as others, are just subtypes of a card, and they are indications of what kind of effect they can trigger, right?

It was just confusing to me, becuase they are mentioned in the rules themselves, without clarification. But all they are "subtype indicators".

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
Sorry for making the original post sound stupid, but I'm new to the game, and I haven't had the chance to teach it to someone; so, playing it is not yet an option at all. I never played MTG (allthough I know a bit about how to play) or Mage Wars at all, and I know "in-game deckbuilders", but most of the people I'd play games with don't know the concept of it. That makes teaching this a lot harder.

Okay, I understand. So, these words, as well as others, are just subtypes of a card, and they are indications of what kind of effect they can trigger, right?

It was just confusing to me, becuase they are mentioned in the rules themselves, without clarification. But all they are "subtype indicators".

Thanks!

There was nothing stupid about your question. It is as you think. Buff cards say buff on them just as debuff has debuff on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toad Bennett
United States
flag msg tools
mb
0616william wrote:

Your post was EXTREMELY useful, and although it took several replies to get the useful ones, it was great to find the answer to this--thanks Wildhorn and alextfish! I'm also learning from the rule book and getting to the stage of starting to teach Codex to my playing partner/wife and also have never played Magic or anything like it--I decided on this one as my plunge into these sorts of waters. I've only recently learned The Gallerist, which is called a heavy Euro, but was super easy to learn compared to this (no complaints though, I'm actually falling in love with the game as I hike up the learning curve).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.