Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that objective cards can be played
Quote:
before performing phase A or before or after (rule book's emphasis) performing any one action in phase b

The immediate action on an objective card that allows a player to move their cattleman up to 3 spaces goes on to say that a player may not use the location on which they stop.

My question is, if I play the objective card "immediately before performing an action in phase b" and I move my cattleman forward, do I forfeit phase b?

If not, how does it play out?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They may not use the benefit of the location on which they stop because of the objective card movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You van use that card together with your normal move to activate a tile farther along the path (which you couldn't use with your normal movement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules wrote:
Move your cattleman up to 3 steps forward along the trail,
ignoring any green and black hands. However, you are not
allowed to use the location on which you stop. So if you
move your cattleman before phase A, you then start the
usual movement of phase A from that location. If you move your
cattleman aer using a location in phase B, you directly carry out
phase C once your cattleman reaches the new location. You are not
allowed to move to Kansas City via this immediate action.
Note that the rules mention the two cases when you can play the objective card:
1) BEFORE phase A (i.e. before your "normal" move)
2) AFTER phase B (i.e. after whatever action(s) you did, including delivering to KC)

In case 1, you cannot use the action(s) of the building where you start your "normal" move; in case 2, you cannot use the action(s) of the building where your cattleman will finish his move. In both cases, you can do phase B for the location where your "normal" move placed you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallet Ranger wrote:
[...] My question is, if I play the objective card "immediately before performing an action in phase b" and I move my cattleman forward, do I forfeit phase b?

Hi Neil.

You can play that card in three distinct moments.

Scenario 1 - Before Phase A

- play the card, move forward 0 to 3 steps along the track, don't pay fees, can't end the movement on Kansas City
- perform your regular phase A: move 1 to X steps (according to your movement rate), pay fees, if you reach KC you must stop there
- perform phase B on the site you reached
- perform phase C

Scenario 2 - Before Phase B
- perform your regular phase A: move 1-X steps, pay fees, if you reach KC you must stop there
- play the card, move forward 0-3 steps along the track, don't pay fees, can't end the movement on KC
- perform phase C

Scenario 3 - After Phase B
- perform your regular phase A: move 1-X steps, pay fees, if you reach KC you must stop there
- play the card, move forward 0-3 steps along the track, don't pay fees, can't end the movement on KC
- perform phase C

You are asking about Scenario 2.
You may want to do so in order to reach a distant location quickly and/or skip a bunch of hazards/opponent's tiles. Here, the choice between Scenario 1 and 2 is only a matter of whether the fees to be paid are closer to the cattleman's initial position or closer to your target tile (the one you want to activate in phase B).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks All

Erik's reply has explained it...

There is a subtle, but important, difference between "using a building" (which a player cannot do) and "performing phase b" (which they can - and probably should)

Cheers everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Pallet Ranger wrote:
[...] My question is, if I play the objective card "immediately before performing an action in phase b" and I move my cattleman forward, do I forfeit phase b?

Hi Neil.

Scenario 1 - Before Phase A

- play the card, move forward 0 to 3 steps along the track, don't pay fees, can't end the movement on Kansas City
- perform your regular phase A: move 1 to X steps (according to your movement rate), pay fees, if you reach KC you must stop there
- perform phase C

- perform phase C

Scenario 3 - After Phase B
- perform phase C

You are asking about Scenario 2.
You may want to do so in order to reach a distant location quickly and/or skip a bunch of hazards/opponent's tiles. Here, the choice between Scenario 1 and 2 is only a matter of whether the fees to be paid are closer to the cattleman's initial position or closer to your target tile (the one you want to activate in phase B).

I speak with no authority, obviously, but Scenario 2 seems to violate the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't stopping in KC essentially be your Phase B in scenario 2 above? I tend to agree that scenario 2 doesn't seem right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Godinho
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallet Ranger wrote:

- perform phase C

This is incorrect.

Move your cattleman up to 3 steps forward along the trail,
ignoring any green and black hands. However, you are not
allowed to use the location on which you stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
As I read the rules, there are just two moments (cf. the rule snippet which I quoted above): My 1) is your scenario 1, my 2) is your scenario 3, and your scenario 2 isn't covered by the rules. I admit it could make sense to allow it, as the expensive buildings may be right before your target building for phase B, but the wording looks pretty clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my understanding of the Dutch rules I concluded the same 3 possible options.

Yes scenario 2 contradicts the card explanation (don't do the building) but the rules say you must do your step B.
So since there is an action window between moving and doing the tile action, you can move, use the card to move again then do the tile you end upon.

This was my interpretation from reading the rules (prior to this thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
According to my understanding of the Dutch rules I concluded the same 3 possible options.

Yes scenario 2 contradicts the card explanation (don't do the building) but the rules say you must do your step B.
So since there is an action window between moving and doing the tile action, you can move, use the card to move again then do the tile you end upon.

This was my interpretation from reading the rules (prior to this thread).

Looks like we need an official clarification on this one. I am officially confused at least

This thread has two different interpretations of the rule, coming from people in at least 6 different countries and using the rules from at least 2 different languages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving with the 3 movement objective card causes you to skip phase B no matter when you use the card. This was confirmed in another thread which I am not linking to since I'm on a phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
Moving with the 3 movement objective card causes you to skip phase B no matter when you use the card. This was confirmed in another thread which I am not linking to since I'm on a phone.

Good call.

Here is the thread with the clarification straight from the designer.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664478/move-cattleman-obje...

AlexP wrote:
Teuf wrote:
Rules says about this objective card : "If you move your cattleman after using a location in phase B, you directly carry out phase C once your cattleman reaches the new location."

So you stop your phase B here.

I hope above quote answers all questions regarding the extra movement without action (gained from objective cards). After using this objective card, you go to phase C.

Additional movement+action gained from buildings (e.g. 3a) start a new phase B meaning unused actions from the building before are lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are 2 rules:
1. You may play an action card:
a) before performing phase A or
b) before or after performing any one action in phase B.

2. Regarding objective card with 3 movement: However, you are not allowed to use the location on which you stop.

This means technically: If you are in phase B and use this card before performing an action, you move away from your building and loose all actions. Therefore, for this objective card, playing it before an action is never good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. So scenario 2 does not work (or, to be precise, it works with the horrible side effect of being denied the building actions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexP wrote:
So there are 2 rules:

2. Regarding objective card with 3 movement: However, you are not allowed to use the location on which you stop.

This means technically: If you are in phase B and use this card before performing an action, you move away from your building and loose all actions. Therefore, for this objective card, playing it before an action is never good.

What if I move in phase A, play the card use 3 move and end in Kansas?

Or another one, I do phase A, activate building, now play the card and end up in Kansas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
AlexP wrote:
So there are 2 rules:

What if I move in phase A, play the card use 3 move and end in Kansas?

Or another one, I do phase A, activate building, now play the card and end up in Kansas?

The rules on page 15 for this card specifically forbids players from moving to Kansas City with this card...so it never happens in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexP wrote:
So there are 2 rules:

Thank you for the clarification.

I thought that "you are not allowed to use the location on which you stop" implied that you cannot use the location because of you playing the card (to distinguish it from other form of movements in the game that typically make you use the destination location).
In other words, I thought that that bonus card simply granted you additional movement (never additional actions), but that it neither deprived you of the right to use a location because of your normal phase B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Silva
msg tools
AlexP wrote:
So there are 2 rules:

If a performer fase A and stops in Kansas, can I play now (before the actions) the objective card and skip the 5 fases in Kansas and go direct to the start of the trail and finally, move the 3 spaces from the objective card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm a bit confused now on playing this card.

On your turn, can you play this card before you begin phase A (moving up to 3 tiles) and then perform phases A through C?

If I'm understanding correctly, the answer is no. Do you go straight to phase C whenever you play this card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.