Subject: My ideas for extra tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
When I play a game and I like it, a brainstorming process begins. I’ve produced six new tiles for Princes of the Renaissance; I haven’t "playtested" them yet, so they may need some corrections. Obviously the game needn’t them at all (it’s a little gem on its own), but if you try them I would be glad to know your comments. (Besides I would like to find some "real names" instead of the generic names I’ve used here, to respect the strong atmosphere of the game; any suggestion?)

WHITE TILES
They’re placed face up near the board and can be auctioned like Event Tiles (minimum bid zero; each tile shows if gold or influence must be used to pay for it).
They are worth no VPs at the end of the game.
The decade still ends when the four Event Tiles are all sold.
Note: you could prefer to assign these tiles to the cities (they’re considered City Tiles for all purposes; so each City has now 7 tiles):
Hero of the People = Venice
Skilled Recruiter = Milan
Master Politician = Florence
Cardinal = Rome
Conspirators = Naples
Talented apprentice = special (treat it as an Event that needn’t to be sold to end the decade)

Talented apprentice (+1 VP)
[Pay with gold]
Artist. Put him in a City (as a "+1 Sta" artist): at the end of the game all the tiles of that City are worth one extra VP (he also counts for "Status tie-breaking" purpose).

Hero of the People (At the end of each decade get 1 Victory Counter if all wars have been fought.)
[Pay with influence]
Production: 1 Influence.
At the end of each decade its owner get a free Victory Counter if the pawn is on the last space of the War Fought Track (4 with 3-4 players, 5 with 5-6 players).
Note: it’s not relevant if the player fought any of these Wars (he can also own no Troop Tile).

Skilled Recruiter (Can buy same Troop Tiles he already owns.)
[Pay with gold]
Its owner can ignore the limitation on Troop Tiles (max 1 per type).
Note: if you’re already ignoring this rule (some people prefer to do so) the text becomes "its owner can buy two Troop Tiles in the same turn; full costs need still to be paid".

Master Politician (Once per decade may play again after his turn.)
[Pay with gold]
Production: 2 Influences.
Its owner can play an additional turn immediately after he concluded his normal turn; however he must choose a different action (for this purpose the actions are: buy a Troop Tile, buy a Treachery Tile, Auction a Tile (City, Event or Pope), Start a War).

Cardinal (Once per decade may cancel the effect of a Treachery Tile.)
[Pay with influence]
Its owner can cancel the effect of a Treachery Tile just played (the Tile is still discarded); he needn’t to be the target of the Tile to cancel it.
Note: if a "Bribe Cardinal" tile is cancelled and thus the winner of the auction haven’t enough influence to pay his bid, he still keeps the Pope tile (paying all the Influence he can).
Note: a "Bribe Cardinal" tile may be used to pay for this tile too (it’s worth 3 Influence).

Conspirators (When you buy Treachery Tiles, look at two and pick one.)
[Pay with gold]
When its owner buy a Treachery Tile he looks at the top two tiles of the stack and choose the one to keep in his hand (the other is discarded, face up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Mulder
Netherlands
Voorhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:My ideas for extra tiles
Luke the Flaming (#25060),
WHITE TILES

Hi Luke,
I think PotR is an exellent game for such variations. I would prefer playing with the available tiles (city, event ant Treachery) before I would add a new concept. I think it is a good idea to link new ideas to existing strategies.

Talented apprentice
In my opinion this idea adds nothing, it is a kind of superartist. I can do without him easily.

Hero of the People
Would make military strategies even songer. I am not sure this strategy needs a lot of help.

Skilled Recruiter
I would make this a standard rule. The limitation as it is is not very helpfull.

Master Politician
This is a good idea, could be one of the florence city tiles with no subtext. Once per decade one extra turn can be powerfull but not overpowered. This is a help to all existing strategies. I am not sure I would ever sacrifice a turn to put an extra turn up for auctions so this better be a city tile with some other benefit too.

Cardinal
Good idea to tie someting in with the whole pope business. Bad idea to go against Treachery tiles. I would prefer a free trachery tile cardinal that also has the same discounts. This could be a character in Rome, Rome needs help.

Conspirators
Good idea! Treachery cards need all the help they can get.
I woulp prefer this to having an extra slot! Perhaps this can even make those extra treachery card condotieres worth while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Mulder
Netherlands
Voorhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have some ideas for changes too, but I am not so sure it is helpfull if I put them up so I will limit myself to some harmless improvements.

1 There should be a city tile that gives you a discount on artists. This would make an even more extreme strategy possible. I say one in Rome and one in Florence both for historic reasons. To make the merchant strategy more attactive, both merchant events should be considered artists. Not the French invasion tile, they are no artists....

2 The pope is such a great game element, but nobody will sacrifice his turn unless he happens to have the bribe cadinal tile.
Therefor the pope auction should not cost a turn but rather be an extra event necessary to end the decade (this will burden any player aiming to end the decade fast) Alternatively it should be the kickoff event of each decade.

The pope could also be voted, each influence on a city tile counts as an additional vote, something like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Douwecarel wrote:
Hi Luke,
I think PotR is an exellent game for such variations. I would prefer playing with the available tiles (city, event ant Treachery) before I would add a new concept. I think it is a good idea to link new ideas to existing strategies.

I agree that PotR has no need of variations (I admitted it above), but appreciate your comments! I simply liked the game so much that I hadn't resisted the temptation to create my own tiles (I don't think they're needed or improve the game, but I still wanted to hear some opinions).
However I must say we use two "house rules":
1) TROOP TILES. A player can buy a Troop Tile he already owns at double cost; the third copy costs three times the basic cost and so on (e.g. a second Field Fortification costs 6 gold, the third 9 gold, the fourth 12 gold).
2) DILPOMACY: YES, NEGOTIATION: NO. You're free to talk with the other players (suggesting moves, making promises you haven't to respect, etc.) but nothing can be traded between players (nor even gold and influence).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Douwecarel (#25356),

WHITE TILES [Alternative]
Alternatively they're placed face up near the board and can be purchased like Troop Tiles (each tile shows its cost in gold or influence; there are multiple copies of each tile but each player can only have one of each white tile).

Talented apprentice
[2 copies]
Cost: 2 gold.
At the end of the game he's worth one VP for each Artist you have (note that "+1 Sta" artists aren't owned by players). He is NOT considered an artist.

Spy
[4 copies]
Cost: 3 gold.
Choose an opponent: he must reveal to you (and only to you) how much gold or influence (your choice) he has.
May be used only once per decade (during your turn).

Conspirators
[3 copies]
Cost: 4 gold.
When its owner buys a Treachery Tile, he looks at the top two tiles of the stack and choose the one to keep in his hand (the other is placed on the bottom of the stack, without revealing it).

Recruiter
[4 copies]
Cost: 4 gold.
Its owner can ignore the limitation "max 1 per type" on Troop Tiles.
Note: if you're already ignoring this rule (some people prefer to do so) the text becomes "its owner can buy two Troop Tiles in the same turn; full costs need still to be paid".

Politician
[4 copies]
Cost: 6 gold.
Production: 1 Influence.
Its owner can play an additional turn immediately after he concluded his normal turn; however he must choose a different action (for this purpose the actions are: buy a Tile, auction a Tile, start a War).
May be used only once per decade.

Hero of the People
[3 copies]
Cost: 2 influence.
At the end of each decade, its owner gets 3 influence if he is the player with more Victory Counters.
Note: in case of a tie the reward is not assigned.

Pacific Cardinal
[2 copies]
Cost: 3 influence.
At the end of each decade its owner gets 2 gold if he has no Victory Counters.
Note: a "Bribe Cardinal" Treachery Tile may be used to pay this tile (it's worth 3 Influence).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Luca, I really like your original idea of adding these tiles onto the cities. In this way players bid for them and everyone has an equal chance to obtain them. All of your tiles are really thought out and excellent, don't change anything but the Titles (if you find more historical ones).

I don't see why people make such an issue of ONE tile of each troop only. We played the 1st 2 games like that, because we didn't know the correct rule, and it led to a lot of problems. The military option is powerfull enough without having d'Este with 2 or 3 cannons, the rules were well conceived as is. The SKILLED RECRUITER gives players this option and everyone has a chance to manipulate it - brilliant. I think you should submit this idea to Warfrog for an official variant, I'm making the tiles now.
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.