fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/30/donal...

Kinda tough to #draintheswamp when you're busy filling it with alligators.

But, hey, I'm sure these billionaires all have the interest of the little guy at heart, right Trump voters?
I'm sure you didn't get conned & duped & played for fools.

WaPo wrote:
When George W. Bush assembled his first Cabinet in 2001, news reports dubbed them a team of millionaires, and government watchdogs questioned whether they were out of touch with most Americans’ problems. Combined, that group had an inflation-adjusted net worth of about $250 million — which is roughly one-tenth the wealth of Donald Trump’s nominee for commerce secretary alone.

Trump is putting together what will be the wealthiest administration in modern American history. His announced nominees for top positions include several multimillionaires, an heir to a family mega-fortune and two Forbes-certified billionaires, one of whose family is worth as much as industrial tycoon Andrew Mellon was when he served as treasury secretary nearly a century ago. Rumored candidates for other positions suggest Trump could add more ultra-rich appointees soon.

Many of the Trump appointees were born wealthy, attended elite schools and went on to amass even larger fortunes as adults. As a group, they have much more experience funding political candidates than they do running government agencies.

Their collective wealth in many ways defies Trump’s populist campaign promises.

* Trump’s nominee for commerce secretary is industrialist Wilbur Ross, who has amassed a fortune of $2.5 billion through decades at the helm of Rothschild’s bankruptcy practice and his own investment firm, according to Forbes.

* Ross’ would-be deputy at the Commerce Department, Todd Ricketts, is the son of a billionaire and the co-owner of the Chicago Cubs.

* Steven Mnuchin, who Trump named to head the Treasury Department, is a former Goldman Sachs executive, hedge fund executive and Hollywood financier.

* Betsy DeVos, a Michigan billionaire who was named as Trump’s education secretary, is the daughter-in-law of Richard DeVos, the co-founder of Amway. Her family has a net worth of $5.1 billion, according to Forbes.

* Elaine Chao, the choice for transportation secretary, is the daughter of a shipping magnate.

Future appointments could further increase the wealth of Trump’s cabinet. Harold Hamm — a self-made oil industry executive who ranks 30th on the Forbes 400, a list of the wealthiest Americans, with a net worth of $16.7 billion, — is on Trump’s shortlist for secretary of energy. Andrew Puzder, a restaurant industry executive, has been floated for labor secretary.

Hmmm... where have we seen this sort of oligarchy-by-the-rich before?
Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
most money = most qualified
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Are they the "classiest"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I am sure all of his political appointments will be in tune with the American people, especially the ones that voted him in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
I'm envisioning late night Ouija board sessions where they channel the spirits of Carnegie and Rockefeller seeking sage advice about how to help the "poors".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Hmmm...

Ummm . . . here?

I agree with you in sentiment but to be fair most of those aren't cabinet officials. DJT's front-loading his admin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Hmmm...

Ummm . . . here?

I agree with you in sentiment but to be fair most of those aren't cabinet officials. DJT's front-loading his admin.

And in fairness to Obama, he never claimed he was going to "drain the swamp", Trump has. It's beginning to smell like politics as usual and his Presidency has not even begun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
C'mon Trump apologists, you're going to have to do better than the "BUT OBAMA!" defense. Because that doesn't work anymore.

Hmm...

Trump wrote:
“I'm not going to let Wall Street get away with murder. Wall Street has caused tremendous problems for us. We're going to tax Wall Street.” — Jan. 9, 2016 in Ottumwa, Iowa.

Trump wrote:
“I want to save the middle class. You know, the middle class — the hedge fund guys didn't build this country. These are guys that shift paper around and they get lucky.” — Aug. 23, 2015 on “Face the Nation.”

Trump wrote:
“The hedge fund guys are getting away with murder. They're making a tremendous amount of money. They have to pay taxes.” — Aug. 23, 2015 on “Face the Nation.”

Trump wrote:
“We’ve seen this firsthand in the WikiLeaks documents in which Hillary Clinton meets in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich these global financial powers, her special interest friends and her donors.” — Oct. 13, 2016 during a speech in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Trump wrote:
“I don't believe in settling cases. I'm not Jamie Dimon, who pays $13 billion to settle a case and then pays $11 billion to settle a case and who I think is the worst banker in the United States.” — Oct. 22, 2013, told to Bloomberg View columnist William Cohan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

And in fairness to Obama, he never claimed he was going to "drain the swamp", Trump has. It's beginning to smell like politics as usual and his Presidency has not even begun.

From where I sit, what Trump is doing is highly unusual.

Whether that is good or bad for the US remains to be seen.

At very least he SEEMS to be doing the exact opposite of everything he said he would.

I realize other politicians would no doubt be accused of doing the same, but his reversals seem so fast and so extreme and so opposite of what people probably voted for, that it seems particularly out of place for a so called populist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And as an aside, he is only two months from office, and has not laid to rest serious concerns about how he intends to ethically and legally divorce himself from his business enterprises. I am not sure, given his self-centric nature, that he is even capable of doing that. There is no question that his wealth and stature played a big role in his attaining the Presidency, but those same attributes now loom large as an ethical problem, now that he has attained the Presidency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
C'mon Trump apologists, you're going to have to do better than the "BUT OBAMA!" defense. Because that doesn't work anymore.

Well, you picked a weird thing to criticize Trump for given the last 8 years. Obama wasn't called "President Goldman-Sachs" for nothin'.

It's a weird thing to criticize Trump for period. We should be much more concerned about their qualifications and ideology than their bank account.

http://www.snopes.com/betsy-devos-education-secretary/

Yes, let's. It is pretty clear that, other than being a parent that had children that went to school, she has no experience whatsover at running an educational institution, or managing one. So one wonders what Trump saw in her (when speaking about qualifications) that we (the common folk) do not. But I am fairly certain Trump will not take the time to enlighten us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bjlillo wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Well, you picked a weird thing to criticize Trump for given the last 8 years. Obama wasn't called "President Goldman-Sachs" for nothin'.
It's a weird thing to criticize Trump for period. We should be much more concerned about their qualifications and ideology than their bank account.
I've been told (on this website, even) not to take Trump at his word. That whatever he says is not to be taken literally or seriously. Which means we are left with Trump's (wannabe) billionaire status as his only 'qualification' and ideology. So it's far from "weird." It's reality.

Honestly, does anyone out there in internet-land believe this group of voters:

really voted for this?

Someone got hoodwinked, and with every billionaire cabinet appointee I can smell the buyer's remorse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If only these exceeding rich and powerful people had been allowed to do something for the "poors" before now.

Rich people: We want to help the poors!
Obama: No I won't let you and I'm going to make you buy everything from China and force you to squirrel money away in off-shore tax havens.
Rich people: Nooooo!
Trump: Don't worry, I will raise up the poors to be great businessmen like what I am with my Trump College...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

So what youre saying is that Obama and Trump are more similar than youd like to admit or for that matter, Trump and Hillary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bjlillo wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
I've been told (on this website, even) not to take Trump at his word. That whatever he says is not to be taken literally or seriously. Which means we are left with Trump's (wannabe) billionaire status as his only 'qualification' and ideology. So it's far from "weird." It's reality.

Honestly, does anyone out there in internet-land believe this group of voters:

[Old voter dude picture]

really voted for this?

[Super classy gold building picture]

Someone got hoodwinked, and with every billionaire cabinet appointee I can smell the buyer's remorse.

I just don't understand class envy/hate. Sorry.
Dude, that's a total cop out and you know it. It isn't about "class envy" it's about Trump's own words (quoted above for everyones' edification if you need a refresher) vs. the very first things the man has done as president-elect, and how the two things couldn't be further apart. If you want to talk ideology, sure, let's talk about what informs a person's ideology:

Donald Trump has never had to work a day in his life.
Donald Trump has never had to worry about where his next paycheck was coming from.
Donald Trump has never had to worry about making the monthly rent.
Donald Trump has never had to think about where the $$$ for his kids' Xmas presents was coming from, or about how he was going to afford to send his kids to college.

All of that informs a person's ideology. And we see his ideology on display when the only folks he can seem to find to surround himself with are other rich people & trust fund kids that mirror his own life experiences. The very same people he insulted, blamed, and scapegoated on the campaign trail (when he wasn't leading the chants to lock up his political opponent.) Running to these billionaires makes him a flaming hypocrite, and makes his voters look like they've been played for fools.

It never took an oracle or a soothsayer to figure this out, but somehow he got millions of working-class Americans to think his administration and priorities were going to look like they look. They do not. They look like, and walk like, and talk like Trump does. He hasn't even had the decency to take office before he has sold out the very people that got him there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argyle Mac Sook
Antarctica
Someones foot
Luna
msg tools
badge
My arch enemy is Dr. Dryer. Curse you Dr. Dryer!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I have to say that since I first saw this image a couple weeks ago, I have wanted a framed, autographed copy!

Ladies and Gentlemen, your First Family!

Ha ha ha ha ha!

It's not the tacky over the top marble and gold or the giddy-up lion the most disturbing is not one but 2 toy stretch limos. laugh

It's a character within a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
obviously doesnt apply to the rsp trump supporters but at least some of his voters are smartly realizing they got duped

https://apnews.com/0f1305c8742547df9bcf978b2c15997c/Trump-vo...

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — When Donald Trump named his Treasury secretary, Teena Colebrook felt her heart sink.

She had voted for the president-elect on the belief that he would knock the moneyed elites from their perch in Washington. And she knew Trump's pick for Treasury — Steven Mnuchin — all too well.

OneWest, a bank formerly owned by a group of investors headed by Mnuchin, had foreclosed on her Los Angeles-area home in the aftermath of the Great Recession, stripping her of the two units she rented as a primary source of income.

"I just wish that I had not voted," said Colebrook, 59. "I have no faith in our government anymore at all. They all promise you the world at the end of a stick and take it away once they get in."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.