Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sometimes when trying to describe in a nutshell, what a game is about, I prefer to liken the game to a movie if at all possible. For instance, I describe 'Star Wars: Rebellion' as the original "Star Wars trilogy in a box". Or, 'War of the Ring' as "The Lord of the Ring in a box". Or 'Fortune and Glory' as "Indiana Jones in a box". Or, 'Star Trek: Fleet Captains' as "Star Trek in a box". Or, 'A Touch of Evil' as "Sleepy Hallow" in a box. I can go on, but you get the idea. I find this method of describing a game in a relatable way works really well with new, or non-gamers.

So would it be fair to describe 'Black Orchestra' as the movie, "Valkyrie in a box"?

From what I've seen of the game, I believe so, but haven't played it yet. Am wondering what others think.

Thx!

Link to the 'Valkyrie' page on IMDB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you're looking for a movie reference, that's probably as close as you can get. BO is one of my favorites of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's probably the most apt movie to use for comparison's sake. I actually thought more about a National Geographic documentary I've showed to my History classes for the last few years called, "42 Ways to Kill Hitler" when I heard about this.

To add to what Jack said, this game is pretty remarkable. This and Freedom: The Underground Railroad, are both examples of games that, in my opinion, could have gone so wrong based solely on theme. Now, while Black Orchestra is arguably lighter in tone, it still handles a tremendously controversial theme in a respectful way, and like Freedom, is still able to maintain a level of FUN. There's tension, and if you allow it, frequent reminders that what is being simulated represents some of the worst aspects of humankind, but by handling the theme in a responsible way (and of course by being on the right side of history) these games allow you to explore some dark corners of history in an engaging and fun manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like me also piggyback Mike and say that the simulation element seems eerie at times, when the Deputies seem to be closing in on you at the worst times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me of that Paul Simon song "50 ways to kill your Fuhrer."
Just shoot him in the back, Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Moorehead
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used this:

"Now that we have played Secret Hitler, let's undo what just happened ..."

Best game this year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakjck wrote:
It reminds me of that Paul Simon song "50 ways to kill your Fuhrer."
Just shoot him in the back, Jack

Actually, my preferred path to victory has been more like, "Just bomb his plane, Shane."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot him in the head, Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tickle him to death with a feather, Heather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.