Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom C

Mt Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Poll
Which picture would you rather see in the game?
      198 answers
Poll created by tetsuozer0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a bunch of mushrooms or a monster? The monster everytime whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both pretty interesting. There's something creepier to me about the first image knowing the second image. I kind of prefer the first image to be on the card but the second image to be somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Duenskie
United States
Mount Laurel
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirens hmmmm Plural. I know it's their voices that are pulling you in, but if you have your eyes open I am not listening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C

Mt Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOL. Their voice puts you into a hallucinogenic state that distorts your vision. They also have the mask, so once you you are close enough to see the mask get pulled up it's too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are ugly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Second image by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
The problem isn't the art work. It's the figure to begin with. Sorry, but it just doesn't speak to the whole mythos of the Sirens IMO. There is NOTHING vaguely 'alluring', even in a twisted way, about these images. In order for these things to lure a man into their clutches, I would think there would have to be something, hell, anything that might entice men to be taken in by these creatures. I know there is magic at work, but geez. You'd need a TON to get a man to be taken in by these abominations. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spartan67 wrote:
The problem isn't the art work. It's the figure to begin with. Sorry, but it just doesn't speak to the whole mythos of the Sirens IMO. There is NOTHING vaguely 'alluring', even in a twisted way, about these images.

Are you aware that historical depictions of Sirens have changed over time, and that only some later depictions were beautiful?

The earlier depictions were beastly indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weresheep of Sin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
That poll needs an option for "Either is ok with me" ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weresheep wrote:
That poll needs an option for "Either is ok with me" ...

I do not mean it as an offense, but if you are ok with either, your opinion is irrelevant, in the sense that it makes no difference for the decision of which illustration will ultimately be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spartan67 wrote:
The problem isn't the art work. It's the figure to begin with. Sorry, but it just doesn't speak to the whole mythos of the Sirens IMO. There is NOTHING vaguely 'alluring', even in a twisted way, about these images. In order for these things to lure a man into their clutches, I would think there would have to be something, hell, anything that might entice men to be taken in by these creatures. I know there is magic at work, but geez. You'd need a TON to get a man to be taken in by these abominations. Sorry.

What drew men to the sirens was their voice, not their looks. In your terms, it was their voice that enticed men to take a closer look. And by the time snap back into reality and realize that sirens are actual monsters, it'll aready be too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I miss the I don't care/no opinion option.

Any poll should have at least 3 options!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Needs a 4th option for Neither. I'm not fond of those sirens at all. Looks like they belong with The Others game and not mythic Greece. I could show hundreds of better mermaid pictures that fit the theme better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isn't the poll missing the reference option for a siren?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike B Canada wrote:
Needs a 4th option for Neither. I'm not fond of those sirens at all. Looks like they belong with The Others game and not mythic Greece. I could show hundreds of better mermaid pictures that fit the theme better.

A siren is not necessarily a mermaid. Although in some languages they do have the same name. And in some tales a similar description. What they truly lack to be more close to the Greek myth is wings, but I like that the artist went full Japanese horror. If you are gonna reimagine it, do it Dark Souls style I say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Turonee wrote:
spartan67 wrote:

What drew men to the sirens was their voice, not their looks. In your terms, it was their voice that enticed men to take a closer look. And by the time snap back into reality and realize that sirens are actual monsters, it'll already be too late.

Noted. That being said, I still find the sculpts pose and its overall rendering awkward at best, and definitely unappealing, even in 'monster' terms. More than anything, it's the pose that to me is so distracting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Turonee wrote:
What drew men to the sirens was their voice, not their looks.

Yep.

"The order Sirenia, to which the Florida manatee belongs, is from the Latin siren, or mermaid."

Sea Cow `Sirens' Fuel Mermaid Mythology: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2005-12-25/news/0512240086_...

Sure, they were looking at it from above water while diving, but this is what passed for a siren:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.