Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim OConnor
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook did not say you could or couldn't rearrange your cards...but it is a pretty important thing to make clear.

You can devolve a card whenever for free. Thus, it is to your advantage to have those early 2dna cards covering your bonus traits so you can devolve them to, say, outbreak later.

If you can rearrange, you can just devolve a 2 and shuffle the traits so outbreak is showing again.

Anyone have any insight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingofTown wrote:
The rulebook did not say you could or couldn't rearrange your cards...but it is a pretty important thing to make clear.

You can devolve a card whenever for free. Thus, it is to your advantage to have those early 2dna cards covering your bonus traits so you can devolve them to, say, outbreak later.

If you can rearrange, you can just devolve a 2 and shuffle the traits so outbreak is showing again.

Anyone have any insight?
The idea that "if the rules of the game don't say I can't, then I can" is known as the "Munchkin Fallacy" and it is exactly that: a fallacy. (My general response to someone attempting to utilize the Munchkin Fallacy is "the rules don't say I can't punch you in the nose either" while drawing back my fist. Even though it's done in jest, the point is usually pretty quickly made.)

The rules of a game are instructions as to what is allowed within the conduct of the game, not limitations on an otherwise free and open system. If the rules don't say that you can do something, then you can't.

The rules don't say that you can rearrange the placement of trait cards, therefore you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim OConnor
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, fair enough. It's how we played it last night for that exact reason...but my first reaction is to search bgg for rule clarification. Since I'm sure others probably do the same, I figured I would be the one to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are starting bonus traits that you have the option of covering I would definitely say you could not rearrange after placing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ab Normal
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anything official to quote, but I've been playing that you can't rearrange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Randi
Italy
Lecco
Lombardia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already received an answer here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCZ7apZwFwo ), the designer confirmed you can't move around cards.

Me: "Just to be sure: if I devolve and remove a card, the free space can't be filled with a card already in game (that's maybe covering an ability) right? What I mean is, you can't move around cards, but just place one or remove one to replace it with something new from your hand (spending DNA points)."
Ndemic Creations: "Correct"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James V
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Creator of Plague Inc.
badge
Plague Inc: The Board Game - can you Infect the World?
mbmbmbmb
You are not allowed to rearrange traits on the board.

Sometimes as you say - it can make sense to evolve over an ability early on so you can remove it later without losing an expensive card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Moran
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Yep...my son and I had the same question. I know the developer is working on a companion app, with FAQs. I have asked him to add this question to the FAQ list.

EDIT---Didn't realize it was James Ndemic who posted last comment. Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.