Popular Tags: [View All]
David Webb
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have got a new user (well, a few months old account, first purchase) who wants to purchase a very expensive game. I thought: fine, as long as I get a customer signed receipt and insure it for the full amount, I can use USPS Priority Mail. The person emails back and wants a Paypal invoice. They're a Canadian with a Niagra Falls address for delivery of things. I've never made a Paypal invoice - anyone else done that? Should I bail? Haven't had another inquiry on this game though.

Thanks for any advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
likely it's just a receipt they want for crossing the border and declaring an amount for which they may or may not have to pay duties. I also have a Niagara Falls , NY address I use frequently for games, and the last time I had a bit of a hassle by not having receipts to prove the value of my goods.
my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Only have experience with Paypal from the consumer side, and admittedly I've heard that their CS errs in favor of consumers over sellers, but I don't see their invoicing system as being any less valid than any other. They're a very ordinary commerce option now, if that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never paid with out an invoice. If The seller simply sends me their paypal email in a GM I always ask for an invoice to pay off of. I get the notice from pay pal that an invoice has been sent and I pay off of that. As a consumer I feel much safer that way. I don't know if it would matter one way or the other, but a Pay pal invoice is the only way you'd get money from me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. I've sold a couple of hundred games, but none with a paypal invoice. They just use the BGG Marketplace invoice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schumacher
United States
International Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be questioning the invoice as if that is evidence of a problem with the transaction. Not sure how a customer requesting an invoice would be indicative of anything other than they want an invoice for their records, but...

Regarding shipping to Niagara Falls versus them being Canadian: unless the Niagara Falls address is confirmed within PayPal, you won't likely qualify for Seller Protection, since you wouldn't be shipping to a confirmed address. And the only way for the user to confirm it would be to have a credit/debit card that uses the Niagara Falls address as its address, which is unlikely as most US credit card companies won't give US cards to people not living in the country. (Even then, if they have a Canadian PayPal account, I don't know that they could even add a US-based credit card to it, or confirm a US address - I'm much less sure about that, though.)

The transaction page in PayPal (after they pay you) will tell you whether or not the transaction qualifies for Seller Protection. That might be a reason to cancel the transaction, if you won't be covered by Seller Protection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schumacher
United States
International Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ihwarrior wrote:
I have never paid with out an invoice. If The seller simply sends me their paypal email in a GM I always ask for an invoice to pay off of. I get the notice from pay pal that an invoice has been sent and I pay off of that. As a consumer I feel much safer that way. I don't know if it would matter one way or the other, but a Pay pal invoice is the only way you'd get money from me....

Curious what difference you feel it makes.

From PayPal's side, literally the only difference is the seller had to go in and create an invoice to send to you. They don't afford any more or less protection to invoiced transactions than using the Send Money function within your own PayPal account.

It might be easier for the buyer, since there's no question about how much to pay or where to send it (in other words, it's shifting the burden of data entry onto the seller from the buyer). But it literally makes no difference in safety of the transaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see how it works now. Like I said, never having used one, or had a buyer ask for one, I didn't know if it was some sort of 'angle' that this new buyer was playing me for.

I appreciate the responses. Seems pretty standard now from them. I guess the BGG Marketplace invoice has been enough for most people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He can print off his own "invoice" once he makes a payment. He simply can go into the account and click on the transaction. It will bring up lots of details about the transaction and even have a "print details" link. Other than that, I dont think there is anything more official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you're concerned about the transaction going sour, then request payment via Amazon gift card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schumacher
United States
International Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
He can print off his own "invoice" once he makes a payment. He simply can go into the account and click on the transaction. It will bring up lots of details about the transaction and even have a "print details" link. Other than that, I dont think there is anything more official.

Speaking as someone who crosses the border a couple times a week on average, the PayPal transaction record would likely not be sufficient. The buyer has to remember to enter their own information on what is being purchased, and not just reference a BGG order number. It also wouldn't separate out shipping cost unless the buyer does so manually. (which, at least coming into Canada, is not considered part of the purchase price for import tax assessment purposes, so it would be important to a Canadian buyer that it be listed separately). If you buy more than one thing, the buyer would have to add details about the price of each. Finally, any tax assessed by the seller would again be lumped into the total price paid, and the buyer would have to remember to itemize that, too. Some jurisdictions exclude tax already paid when determining the value of an item to assess import taxes.

I don't remember what the limit on the notes field is but I feel like it's not very long, and I don't believe it keeps multiple lines even if you intentionally put them in. A PayPal invoice would be much easier to read, and by default has places you put each item, their individual prices, and separate lines for tax and shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It could also be the user requires something more concrete of an invoice than a BGG text screen... perhaps for business or tax records.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar problem back in October. I was told by the new user that he needed an invoice because he was paying with a foreign paypal account, even though it was being shipped to a USA address. I ended up not going through with the transaction as it just didn't seem right. Here is my thread for reference:

Paypal Question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah. Regret it now. For the first time it's making me "claim" the payment (all the other payments just went through - no claiming) and associate it with a bank account, which I had not wanted to do. Or else the payment is refunded to the buyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you I'd let the whole thing drop. You've been uncomfortable all along, and now you are having to jump through hoops you want to avoid.

Cancel the whole thing. That's what I'd do. The potential profit is no profit at all if the whole thing ends up more of a mess than it already is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I had realized it before I dropped the package in the mail. Now gotta go through the extra Paypal stuff. Was too happy to make that sale. Oh well - worse things happen to folks. Thanks again for all the sounding board help, whether I paid enough attention to it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.