Subject: Possible Blame Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch White
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I will be playing my first game this weekend and having read through a lot of comments and a number of video reviews about different perspectives of the game I am going to try :

Replacing the blame token into shield tokens.
- Fighting the troll will earn you 1 shield token instead of blame
- 1 token can block 1 damage in battle
- Shields must be committed prior to battle and are lost weather they are needed or not

I have 0 experience with the game and will mostly be playing 2 player with my wife.

I really dislike the idea of the blame token possibly deciding the winner when player 1 and 2 are really close and player 3 or 4 would be dishing out a blame token as well.

I am completely ok with with bad dice rolls personally but this would also help further mitigate bad dice rolls. Not that I think that needs fixing.

Thoughts from the experienced players ? Will it make imbalance ? Troll to powerful ? Ruin the balance of the different dice factions ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Blame" and everything connected to it in this game are the only things that hold this game down for me. The rest of the game is orders of magnitude better than those parts (even the luck of the die at resolution). "Blame" only enters and matters when fighting the troll, it is not present or useful anywhere else in this game (not even in the rune cards). "Blame" and by consequence the troll seem (to me) unnecessary and tacked on.

I wish that "Blame" was more similar to "Corruption" in LoWD: very useful to acquire but potentially hurtful, with many sources of it but only a few ways to get rid of it.

With all this in mind I ask: How would the game play if one simple IGNORES the existence of the troll, if one removes that spot from the game completely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ToonzEH wrote:

I have 0 experience with the game and will mostly be playing 2 player with my wife.

I really dislike the idea of the blame token possibly deciding the winner when player 1 and 2 are really close and player 3 or 4 would be dishing out a blame token as well.

If you are going to play this game mostly 2 player (which works fine, do it!)

then the blame mechanism isn't unfair at all. it is simply sending the blame back and forth, but it adds an important location on the board and some strategy.

it is true that in the 8th round some kingmaking can take place. my answer to that is that on the last round everyone not beating the troll gets 1 blame.

Quote:
I wish that "Blame" was more similar to "Corruption" in LoWD: very useful to acquire but potentially hurtful, with many sources of it but only a few ways to get rid of it.

this is true this would be cool.

Overall I like the mechanism.

Now to your variant, I like the idea of taking a blame to save 1 dice, we call blame - same anyway, so essentially your warrior hid behind a rock and ran away right before the monster attacked you.

I could definitely see myself doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's plausible house rule, which will probably make a higher point Game, kind of ruins thematic elements of defending mid-gaurd. That's the beauty of house rules, I try several different house rules on every game I own, it's always joy of see where it takes the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane W

Utah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your idea is interesting and doesn't seem overpowered. But I enjoy being able to explain mechanics within the theme. Killing a troll and that gaining a shield token doesn't make sense to me. But if it is balanced and you enjoy it, sounds good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch White
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input folks

Please keep in mind we are casual gamers and not trying to eek out every point and make only the best moves.

The idea of the shield was an attempt to make the Troll still worth fighting for as it only has 1 spot unlike it's neighbors with 2.

Seemed to work well. Played twice. The troll ended up being quite important still. The troll deck seems to have more glory points on the cards than the Draugr deck so it's seems more lucrative to go there. In a 2 player game gold seems to not be a real issue. At least in our 2 whole games at this point lol.

My wife who doesn't like " take that " had 0 complaints about the game so that was a huge bonus as well hehe.

The shields allowed her to gamble with less risk near the end of the game going for big points as she fell behind not being as strategic as myself. We mostly game to have fun and enjoy each others company so it was a hit in that regard as the point spread was 9 or less in both games allowing for a catch up mechanic.

Might house rule it a little more tightly somehow in future when she learns it inside and out.

If I were to play with 3 or 4 I would definitely want to try/use the normal rules.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.