Shadows of Brimstone: Other Worlds – Trederra» Forums » Variants

Subject: Trederran Names: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Having heard that there will be Trederran Veterans amongst the Heroes introduced in "Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress", I wonder what example male and female Trederran names might be. I mean, in character, the other heroes have to call them something!

There are no wrong answers, folks, let's hear from you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trederran With No Name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools
This is less actual names, and more a set of guidelines, but here's some naming ideas for Trederra characters, based on which faction they originate from (since its confirmed Trederrans are assigned a "faction card" giving bonuses):

The Union: European Names (particularly Western Europe, like Britain, France, etc.)
The Core: Japanese Names
Khakarus Konfederacy: Russian/Slavic Names
The Royal Foundry: European Names (possibly Scandinavian, considering one location controlled by the Foundry, the "Golden Forge of Vatros", vaguely sounds Nordic)
Republic of Tar-Kon: Germanic Names
Liberation Army: Arabic Names
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
A very solid, well-themed answer

Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools

If this advice is too general for the OP, one option would be to steal names from BattleTech canon. If you avoid any of the major figures from the Mechwarrior universe, it likely won't bother other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaddKossack115 wrote:
This is less actual names, and more a set of guidelines, but here's some naming ideas for Trederra characters, based on which faction they originate from (since its confirmed Trederrans are assigned a "faction card" giving bonuses):

The Union: European Names (particularly Western Europe, like Britain, France, etc.)
The Royal Foundry: European Names (possibly Scandinavian, considering one location controlled by the Foundry, the "Golden Forge of Vatros", vaguely sounds Nordic)

Great ideas here! Do names that have the same kind of flow to them as the region they mimic, like how names in eg Game of Thrones work...
Except for one thing... I don't think Vatros sounds very scandinavian...at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot, Neil Edmonds
(Autoduelist)
flag msg tools

Looking up BattleTech, I actually stumbled upon a Name Generator, apparently meant for generating BattleTech characters (http://battletech.rpg.hu/dynmech/gamename.php). Running it a few times, it was able to come up with a lot of character names, and ones that could fit most of the factions (Konfederacy, Tar-Kon, Core, etc.). The only problem is that there isn't an option for Arabic names, for the very Arabic-themed Liberation Army. Will need a separate option to find names for that.

(PS - I'm still new to the site, and for some reason Preview isn't working, so I apologize if I can't quote your name the way you quoted mine.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools
jtspecial wrote:
MaddKossack115 wrote:

Great ideas here! Do names that have the same kind of flow to them as the region they mimic, like how names in eg Game of Thrones work...
Except for one thing... I don't think Vatros sounds very scandinavian...at all...

Well, I don't know what the hell language "Vatros" is actually in, and there's no real indication what nation the Royal Foundry is supposed to be (the history of them being the first nation to industrialize with Dark Stone, and being the most polluted as consequence, indicates Great Britain, but Vatros sure as hell doesn't sound British). Scandinavian was my best guess, since the Union was Western Europe/USA (democratic alliance), Tar-Kon was Germany (fascist dictatorship), the Konfederacy was Russia (worker's nation), and that basically left two areas: Southern Europe (Italy, Greece, etc., with no country close to the Royal Foundry's backstory), or Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Denmark - still a stretch, but closer than Southern Europe, or the other countries belonging to the other established factions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davenport42 wrote:
Having heard that there will be Trederran Veterans amongst the Heroes introduced in "Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress", I wonder what example male and female Trederran names might be. I mean, in character, the other heroes have to call them something!

I had this same concern for the Japanese characters in Forbidden Fortress. I don't know anything about japanese names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Rubric wrote:
Davenport42 wrote:

I had this same concern for the Japanese characters in Forbidden Fortress. I don't know anything about japanese names.

It's relatively easy for Japanese characters for Forbidden Fortress - just look up a Japanese Name Generator (there are dozens, from what I can tell), then generate names until you find ones you like.

Or alternatively, use names of Japanese characters from Anime or Video Games (ex. Ryu, Mai, Mitsurugi, Taki, etc.), assuming your friends are cool with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Trederran Veteran's role in the party is to take advantage of familiarity with otherworlds and lead the group around, perhaps they'll just get the nickname "TV Guide."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.