Subject: Possible to play with only Boosters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
So, none of my FLGS have starters. One didn't get any Destiny, one got Boosters (and nobody can tell them where their Starters are), and the rest sold out of starters.

So... Is it feasible to build 'starter' type decks using only Boosters? If so, any guesses as to how many boosters it might take to build two decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you're going to need characters. From what I've read, they come about 1 in every 3 boosters. I bought 12 boosters and got 4, so the ratio works in my small sample case.

The starters have 3 character dice each, so that would be 18 boosters to fill out two decks. But you would also need the cards to line up with the rights colors and hero/villain. Or you could just fudge with the rules a little bit until you can get starters.

I think it depends on just how many boosters you want to buy and how lucky you get with them. It's doable, but it's not a sure thing. But I would say you need at least 18 to have a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You absolutely don't need starters to play. The problem with going just off boosters, though, is getting enough cards from any single color to fill out decks, even when running a couple colors; there's three colors with two affiliations each, which spreads the cards around. Honestly, you'd probably need an entire box (36 boosters) to have a decent chance at building a deck without the starters. Completely unscientific statement, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore the heroes and villain deck building restrictions until you can get starters. It's team biulding that is really quite hard untill you have some unique characters with two dice.

You will also need tokens for damage, armor and supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
18 boosters is a good minimum;
it gives 18 dice so possibly 9 per side (same nr as a starter deck)
and 90 cards divided about 30/30/30 of hero/villain/neutral cards give or take a few.
for a normal deck you would need 33-34 cards (starter decks only have 24 cards) so that gives you a few leftovers.
given the characters you find it might not be easy to have the good combination to maximize your 30 points for character building but the starters didnt use the full 30 either.

up to you if that suffices for you or you need more to have more deck-building choices.
for some decent deck-building choice 1 booster box is a must
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about battlegrounds? Those don't seem very common in the boosters, and you need at least one to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbee Mariano
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I think it is possible to play without getting a starter box.
The only thing is you will need some tokens for shields , damage and resources..... they only come in the starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Rasmussen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 3 battlegrounds the other day in just one booster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
What about battlegrounds? Those don't seem very common in the boosters, and you need at least one to play.

We get freakin battlegrounds every other booster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in the "didn't get any starters but did get boosters" camp.

And I'm a manager at a FLGS!

I have purchased 36 boosters packs, and have been able to make 4 different decks (just not all at the same time) out of them.

All I need is the rules (free at FFG) and some tokens!

Oh, and out of 36 packs I've got about 9 battlegrounds.

(Plus, just to brag, I got a Han Solo, a Millennium Falcon, and a Jabba. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.