art g
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi guys!

Did anybody else have some trouble understanding the setup guide for this expansion/side scenario? I felt like it was lacking in some details that should have been incorporated in the game. Doesn't feel like the rules tell you enough; some things have to be assumed.

The Rougarou movement was also a bit confusing.
For example moving to the farthest away location from investigators. Well how do you decide which location is the furthest? by the icons on the bottom of the location cards? There are some locations that have the same icon on the top right corner so then which one does the wolf go to?

Then there was the situation of the victory points. First of all there are a total of 3 victory points obtainable max (2 locations, 1 monster), in this scenario (ridiculous). During my play we cleaned out all the clues on locations that offered victory points, but because the Rougarou keeps moving, the clues were restocked on those locations. So at the end of my 2-player scenario I got a total of ZERO Victory points...
Is this even correct or did I screw up something?

I think the rewards are lacking for this scenario.

Still a fun game though, this scenario hardly diminishes the overall quality of the card game!

anyways please share your thoughts people, I would love to see what you guys think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artog11 wrote:
Did anybody else have some trouble understanding the setup guide for this expansion/side scenario? I felt like it was lacking in some details that should have been incorporated in the game. Doesn't feel like the rules tell you enough; some things have to be assumed.

I had problems too, but all of mine I attribute to the setup instruction:
"Set the Curse of the Rougarou encounter
set aside, out of play."

I think it was a mistake to have a single card "Curse of the Rougarou" as well as an entire encounter set. I mistakenly set aside the CARD rather than the entire Encounter Set. I think the fact the "set aside" phrase is on the 2nd line of the instructions also misleads making it easy to think it's just saying set aside the one card rather than realizing that the last word proceeding it gives the meaning as "encounter set".

Once I figured that out, it was perfectly straightforward to set up.

artog11 wrote:
The Rougarou movement was also a bit confusing.
For example moving to the farthest away location from investigators. Well how do you decide which location is the furthest? by the icons on the bottom of the location cards? There are some locations that have the same icon on the top right corner so then which one does the wolf go to?

The icons show how the locations are connected. You count, card by card, how many moves it would take to get from where the Rougarou is to the one farthest away. Often there will be more than one equally distant, in which case you choose one.

artog11 wrote:
Then there was the situation of the victory points. First of all there are a total of 3 victory points obtainable max (2 locations, 1 monster), in this scenario (ridiculous). During my play we cleaned out all the clues on locations that offered victory points, but because the Rougarou keeps moving, the clues were restocked on those locations. So at the end of my 2-player scenario I got a total of ZERO Victory points... Is this even correct or did I screw up something?

There are 3 Victory point locations plus 1 monster for 4 potential VP. But if you watch where you move the Rougarou (since you'll often have a choice between "farthest" locations, you can probably keep 1-2 of them from having clues replaced.

artog11 wrote:
I think the rewards are lacking for this scenario.

Even with additional potential card rewards PLUS the experience? I think it's almost generous for a "side" quest.

Scenario Rewards behind Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You can gain "Monstrous Transformation" or "Lady Esprit".

artog11 wrote:
Still a fun game though, this scenario hardly diminishes the overall quality of the card game!

We had our funniest story so far out of this scenario!
We had everything needed to gain Resolution 3 except the last clue when the sh*t hit the fan...

Daisy and Agnes were both in the location with the clue, but Daisy had a Bog Gator engaged with her so she didn't want to Investigate first.

So she begged Agnes to attack with her baseball bat and kill the gator so then Daisy could get the clue and with Roland engaged with the Rougarou, we could trigger Resolution 3.

Everyone was beat up, but we were going to win and we knew it. Agnes could have Investigated and with 3 tries probably have gotten the last clue with no problem, but Daisy wanted to do it and so Agnes obliged by using almost all her hand to buff her attack with the baseball bat, positive that there was no way to miss.

Then she pulled the auto-fail token out of the chaos bag...

We all froze in horror. Then we worked it out. The attack hit Daisy. The damage killed her! The baseball bat broke (discarded). All of the party's clues were with Daisy, so she dropped all 3 of them in the location with the last remaining.

We roared with laughter at our hubris!!! We were so sure that we pumped her combat up to something like 12. There was no way our plan could fail!

After we stopped laughing...Agnes was engaged by the Bog Gator. She had no other weapon in play. She had used all her combat icons to buff the first attack. They needed 4 clues now in order to get Resolution 3 and that was NOT going to happen.

During the Enemy phase, the Bog Gator killed Agnes and the Rougarou drove Roland insane since he was engaged with it and had already been badly treated.

We went from winning to losing in the blink of an eye. I love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
art g
United States
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
Even with additional potential card rewards PLUS the experience? I think it's almost generous for a "side" quest.

After considering what you said, I guess I can see it being sufficient rewarding. Since in our play-through we got 0 victory points, I was unhappy about that. Yet, if your saying there are 4 total points that can be earned then it is in fact a good amount. Oddly I only counted three though.

Quote:
We had our funniest story so far out of this scenario!
We had everything needed to gain Resolution 3 except the last clue when the sh*t hit the fan...

Lol damn that sucks, but it is funny and that does make you love the games randomness; I get you

Thanks for sharing friend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most scenarios will average 3-5 points. Seldom do you gain the maximum.

In this scenario each of the 3 locations with clues is worth 1 plus the enemy you mentioned for a total of 4 possible, though getting them all is unlikely.

As to our untimely demise, it wasn't just randomness. We could have just had Agnes Investigate up to 3 times, buffed by Daisy, and probably have gotten the last clue and gone on to Resolution 3 (our goal).

We choose to have her attack the bog gator on Daisy instead.

We could have had Agnes engage it before attacking. Then if it failed, no damage would be done to Daisy and Agnes could try again.

We choose to commit every combat card we could just to be 100% sure. If we'd held back a few cards, Agnes could have fought the gator successfully after it engaged her.

I don't think this game is really very random, even with the aptly named chaos bag.

There are so many possible actions, cards, locations, and effects, that it becomes more a choice of what risks you're willing to take and how to mediate the worst outcomes.

We simply made some bad choices, chance called us out, and we paid the price. And it was hilarious and a great story! The most often told story wins this game as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I had problems too, but all of mine I attribute to the setup instruction:
"Set the Curse of the Rougarou encounter
set aside, out of play."

I think it was a mistake to have a single card "Curse of the Rougarou" as well as an entire encounter set. I mistakenly set aside the CARD rather than the entire Encounter Set. I think the fact the "set aside" phrase is on the 2nd line of the instructions also misleads making it easy to think it's just saying set aside the one card rather than realizing that the last word proceeding it gives the meaning as "encounter set".

Huh, I read your post the same way as you did. Glad I read it before starting to play.

But now I have a question, to make sure I'm doing this right...

The last step of the setup says to gather the unused Encounter cards and shuffle them. Does that mean both sets, including the one you set aside at the start? I am guessing the answer is: keep them separate, and something will get me to switch or mix it later on in the scenario. But that's just my guess. It's worded a little ambiguously, IMO.

EDIT: I believe I found the answer here in the other forum for the main game, confirming my guess: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24394409#24394409

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Reference: "Some scenarios instruct the players to set aside specific cards. Set-aside cards have no interaction with the game until they are
referenced by instructions within the scenario or by a card ability."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkham Chronicle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artog11 wrote:

Did anybody else have some trouble understanding the setup guide for this expansion/side scenario?

There is a lovely video all about setting up your Curse of the Rougarou game here.

https://youtu.be/tlibd6z3Dcg

Or you can even find it on this very website

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/120444/arkham-horror-card-ga...

Next week there will be one all about setting up your Carnevale of Horrors.

The Arkham Chroniclers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArkhamChronicle wrote:
There is a lovely video all about setting up your Curse of the Rougarou game here.

Nice one as always. Just one more point to mention here: this is in the video too, but there's a story asset card (Monstrous Transformation) in the Curse of the Rougarou encounter set that should be set aside before putting that encounter set into play. It's not mentioned in the setup instructions, but you'll probably notice that the card back is different if you shuffle it into the encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played it solo with Marie Lambeau and was able to get 2 xp out of it (both from locations).

I definitely could have gotten that up higher if I hadn't been going for the other win.

I had been trying to do the necessary tasks involved to win (well, I was hoping it was a win since it was hard) to not kill the Rougarou but instead investigate. The time I spent getting the strange doll, I could have spent finishing off one of the other xp locations.

Anyway, eventually, I calculated that I wouldn't be able to get both the clues and the bear trap in time, which is when I focussed on attacking the Rougarou. With Shrivelling and Lita it was pretty quick work, but I still wish I could have gotten the other one. I am hoping my group is able to do it when they try this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.