Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: How mant winters do you get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've plated 3 games plus prologue, never had more than 2 winters.

Is this normal?

Eco
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pretty much. 13 games in a campaign and 3 games into another, we only had one game which lasted all the way to the 3rd winter. I don't know how or why Rob believed "you'll generally see 3 winters in a game". You would have to be playing very suboptimally for it to be the case.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prologue and first 2 games had only the first winter for us. We had a second winter on game 3.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We just finished game 4. The longest game we've had so far took 9 turns, and only because someone knocked over one of my buildings (I would have won on turn 7 otherwise).

Our next game looks likely to take longer, as the milestones remaining are going to be harder to achieve. We'll see.

(This hasn't been a problem for us, but I figured I'd report).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
We just finished game 4. The longest game we've had so far took 9 turns, and only because someone knocked over one of my buildings (I would have won on turn 7 otherwise).

Our next game looks likely to take longer, as the milestones remaining are going to be harder to achieve. We'll see.

(This hasn't been a problem for us, but I figured I'd report).


Yeah, we've said that a few games in a row now. "I think this game is going to be longer." Not so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Parliament
msg tools
mb
For us the average game is about 9 turns.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished game 7 (8 with prologue) and it was our first game with 2 winters.

We keep thinking that with each game's increased threshold, we'll see 2 consistently, maybe this is the start...

Edit to add: I don't consider the setup "winter" in my numbers. So our longest game was 13 turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played game 5&5 yesterday (exluding prologue). Our longest game so far was 8 or 9 turns. On average probably something like 5.x turns. The higher starting capital, togheter with higher points for stuff, increased range etc makes up for the higher point threshold.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
lactamaeon wrote:
We just finished game 4. The longest game we've had so far took 9 turns, and only because someone knocked over one of my buildings (I would have won on turn 7 otherwise).

Our next game looks likely to take longer, as the milestones remaining are going to be harder to achieve. We'll see.

(This hasn't been a problem for us, but I figured I'd report).


Yeah, we've said that a few games in a row now. "I think this game is going to be longer." Not so far.


I mean, I don't expect to get to the third winter any time soon. But it seems likely to be 8-10 turns instead of 7-8. (A lot of this may depend on me, as the other players tend to be less efficient. If I decide to sandbag on glory a bit in order to set up for a future game, we might get further.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
We just finished game 7 (8 with prologue) and it was our first game with 2 winters.

We keep thinking that with each game's increased threshold, we'll see 2 consistently, maybe this is the start...

Edit to add: I don't consider the setup "winter" in my numbers. So our longest game was 13 turns.


After 17 games, I'd say 7-9 turns seem a pretty standard length, even when you play all the way to 24 glory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Our last game ran the longest out of any of our games. We still only had two winters. If it had gone just one turn longer, we would have had three.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At 7 games in, we have yet to have a game last more than 8 turns -- so just past the second winter (counting the initial winter). One game lasted 6 turns.

For the game to last much longer, I can only think that a LOT more raiding was involved. (In our games, raiding against other players is fairly rare, not because we avoid such things, but because there are few strong raid leaders and there is usually something to do that is worth more glory.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Abbott
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of 8 games + prologue so far we have only had 1 game that reached a second winter (counting the initial winter as Winter 1). Our games average 4-5 turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abbottj83 wrote:
Out of 8 games + prologue so far we have only had 1 game that reached a second winter (counting the initial winter as Winter 1). Our games average 4-5 turns.

Wow. And I thought our games (7-8 turns, typically) were short!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Keith
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our games rarely go to the first winter after setup. We just finished game 10, I think, and of our last 5 games only one made it that far. Typical length: 5-6 turns.

It's pretty frustrating.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jonsonite wrote:
Our games rarely go to the first winter after setup. We just finished game 10, I think, and of our last 5 games only one made it that far. Typical length: 5-6 turns.

It's pretty frustrating.


That sounds pretty frustrating. How many players are in your group?

I don't think I've seen a path yet that would have gotten me to victory in less than 7 turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Albert
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 12 games and only seen 3rd winter once(counting first winter). One recent game even ended before 2nd winter. Our average game is 7-9 turns.

Our games typically end with one big move scoring 8, 10, or even 12 glory in one turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually go 8 or 9 turns, although once we did have a game go about 14 turns so we got a third winter after turn 12.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
Likes: Mountains, Tundra Turn-offs: Serpents, Marsh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we've completed 2 full years in 13 or so games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jonsonite wrote:
Our games rarely go to the first winter after setup. We just finished game 10, I think, and of our last 5 games only one made it that far. Typical length: 5-6 turns.

It's pretty frustrating.


Just out of curiosity, as I've only played the Prologue (w/4):

Is the game so short because "theme" gets tossed out the window and everybody just plays in "maximal-efficiency-engine" gaming style, i.e., you plot the absolutely shortest point from zero to X (the winning score)?

Would the game be more enjoyable with more turns? Or is it always going to be about a dash to the finish line anyway?

Obviously if one or two players waste time, meander, mosey, do "suboptimal" moves, etc., that will not extend the game if there is one other player who heads straight to X points with no wasted motion.

Any comments from those who are far along in the campaign?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JimZam wrote:
Just out of curiosity, as I've only played the Prologue (w/4):

Is the game so short because "theme" gets tossed out the window and everybody just plays in "maximal-efficiency-engine" gaming style, i.e., you plot the absolutely shortest point from zero to X (the winning score)?

Would the game be more enjoyable with more turns? Or is it always going to be about a dash to the finish line anyway?


I get the feeling this is just about right. Honestly, I don't understand how some people are reporting games lasting as few as five turns. That's at least an average of 2 Glory per turn. I feel like half my turns I'm not getting any Glory, and most turns I'm getting Glory I'm only getting one.

But it's like you say. If you've got one player who wants to race to the finish, then that's when the game ends, so everybody else has to pick it up to compensate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerow
msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
JimZam wrote:
Just out of curiosity, as I've only played the Prologue (w/4):

Is the game so short because "theme" gets tossed out the window and everybody just plays in "maximal-efficiency-engine" gaming style, i.e., you plot the absolutely shortest point from zero to X (the winning score)?

Would the game be more enjoyable with more turns? Or is it always going to be about a dash to the finish line anyway?


I get the feeling this is just about right. Honestly, I don't understand how some people are reporting games lasting as few as five turns. That's at least an average of 2 Glory per turn. I feel like half my turns I'm not getting any Glory, and most turns I'm getting Glory I'm only getting one.

But it's like you say. If you've got one player who wants to race to the finish, then that's when the game ends, so everybody else has to pick it up to compensate.


You have to remember this only applies to the person who wins. So whomever lucks out on quests / has an easily forceable glory engine can reliably end the game before anyone gets their act together.

I'm in a five man game, we've played 5-6 games now not including prologue and I set up an engine with

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Advisor who gives you glory for building only gold and the bonus VP stickers for having buildings in those slots


and I've won all but one game before second winter. My total glory is ~2.5 as much as the lowest player's and if I sat out a game / got 100% locked out of glory I still would be in first place. The other players are annoyed because I force the game to close out before they can get going every time. Maybe I should screw around and explore more but I feel pressured to make the games iterate faster so I can see more new content.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are they letting you keep that advisor all the time? If any of them keeps an advisor worth 4 or less, you shouldn't be.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GDNerd wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
I get the feeling this is just about right. Honestly, I don't understand how some people are reporting games lasting as few as five turns. That's at least an average of 2 Glory per turn. I feel like half my turns I'm not getting any Glory, and most turns I'm getting Glory I'm only getting one.

But it's like you say. If you've got one player who wants to race to the finish, then that's when the game ends, so everybody else has to pick it up to compensate.


You have to remember this only applies to the person who wins. So whomever lucks out on quests / has an easily forceable glory engine can reliably end the game before anyone gets their act together.

I'm in a five man game, we've played 5-6 games now not including prologue and I set up an engine with

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Advisor who gives you glory for building only gold and the bonus VP stickers for having buildings in those slots


and I've won all but one game before second winter. My total glory is ~2.5 as much as the lowest player's and if I sat out a game / got 100% locked out of glory I still would be in first place. The other players are annoyed because I force the game to close out before they can get going every time. Maybe I should screw around and explore more but I feel pressured to make the games iterate faster so I can see more new content.

You realize you can (generally) only use that (or any) advisor once per year, right? So if you're winning the game in less than a year, that advisor only contributes +1 glory for the game (beyond what you would have earned otherwise).

Also, with the sticker you mentioned,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
each of those +1 glory stickers can't earn you more than +1 glory per game, too. You build a structure on it, you get +1 glory. You can't shift the structure off to build another for +1 glory, and if you "build over" the old structure (which you can do), you would lose 2 glory for the structure lost, then gain 2 glory back, for a net gain of nothing.


My inclination is to think you've been playing something wrong, based on your description, but I could be wrong.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have to assume something is screwy with their understanding of the rules too, or else he's playing with players so bad at the game that him having ~2.5 times their glory total is an accurate representation of their respective gaming ability...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.