Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay...this topic is about the one(s) that got away. What wargame(s) have you sold and wished after that you didn't do it?

EDIT: iPad + no proofreading = butchery of the English language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Games You Wish You Never Sold...

The first one I sold to a publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
BICYCLES FORWARD
badge
PELOTON
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago I had decided that I was not into Modern War and that I had pretty much exhausted most if not all WWII themes, so around the late 80s, maybe early early 90s, I ended up selling or trading off several of my unwanted, unplayed, unpunched, instinct buys SPI flat tray games such as NATO, World War III, and Total War. I have since reacquired Total War; but my biggest regret is getting rid of Seelöwe. I will reacquire it one day, I am sure, but it surely hurts every time I see someone post a play session of it on this site. No regrets with most other sells/trades/give-aways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Napoleon's Triumph when it first came out but didn't really get it to the table for several years. My first 1-2 tries ended up not working for me, as the rules hadn't come together in my head, so I sold my copy. Then I played a few more times on Vassal and the light went off. I couldn't believe what I'd done. Fortunately I was able to get another copy for just less than an arm and a leg, and at this point, I would say NT will be the last game standing if I whittle my collection all the way down to one game.

Out of the games I never reacquired, it would probably be one of my Victory Games, either Tokyo Express or The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC. I don't expect that I would ever play either one again, but I like to pretend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
When I look over my list of previously owned, the only game that fits the bill is Wilderness War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:
Games You Wish You Never Sold...

The first one I sold to a publisher.

Which one would that be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
I never regret games I sell. But I am a publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to cull my collection by selling games at a con in my region. Just a month ago, I sold my copy of Empire of the Sun, first ed, and didn't check to see if the second edition was easily available, having come out less than a year before. I sold the first ed with all of the C3i counters, updated cards, and in excellent condition, pretty much for a song.

I don't regret the price, but what I didn't know was how hard it would be to find a second edition copy. Normally I'd check, but the second edition hasn't been out that long, and it never occurred to me a second edition of a wargame would disappear so quickly. I just can't pay $200 for the game, or really almost any game, more a psychological barrier than anything else.

I do have the Plan Orange game that came in C3i, but it feels like there's a hole in my collection, one that recently saw me fill the last of my Victory Games and OCS holes. Someday I'm going to need to address my OCD collecting issues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is weird... but I really regret selling Swords & Sorcery. It was a fantasy war game with counters and hexes. It was written tongue-in-cheek with such places as Natalie Woods and New Orc City. There were even killer penguins.

I wish I still had it. I do not believe it was historical, though. I think they were aiming more at hysterical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Having over 2.2K games and selling quite a few, I don't have any regrets about the ones I've auctioned off. However, I do have friends/colleagues/opponents who regret the ones I let go of; they mavel at how I got rid of them so blithely. These are the ones they complain about most but I'll tell you I don't miss them since I played the hell out of them and felt other games have superseded them or that they had flaws that made me not want to play them anymore:

BLOODY APRIL (SPI)
CAMPAIGN FOR NORTH AFRICA (SPI)
WAR IN EUROPE (1st Ed) (SPI)
WAR IN THE EAST (2nd Ed) -- yes, I had a seperate game on it apart from WIE (1st Ed) (SPI)
WAR IN THE PACIFIC (SPI)
HIGHWAY TO THE REICH (2nd Ed) (SPI)
DESCENT ON CRETE (SPI)
ATLANTIC WALL (1st Ed) (SPI)
STREETS OF STALINGRAD (1st Ed) (Phoenix Games)
FIRST BLOOD (SDC)
DEAD OF WINTER (1st Ed) (SDC)
GLOBAL WAR (SPI)
BATTLE OF MOSCOW (SPI)
MOSCOW CAMPAIGN (SPI)
TURNING POINT: STALINGRAD (SPI)
KURSK (1st Ed) (SPI)
DESTRUCTION OF ARMY GROUP CENTER (1st Ed) SPI
AUSTERLITZ (SPI)
FRIGATE (SPI)
DRIVE ON STALINGRAD (1st Ed) (SPI)
FRANCE: 1940 (AH)
AIR WAR '77 (SPI)
RED SUN RISING (SPI)
FAST CARRIERS (SPI)
DREADNOUGHT (SPI)
and a bunch of old S&T games dating from the early 1970s (I kept the magazines!)

It is hard to tell someone who wants to play a particular title and asks me if I've got a copy that I did once but do no longer...and don't want to play it anymore. Their crestfallen looks always prompts me to suggest something I consider better--but they aren't quite as interested. Sigh.

Still have quite a few SPI favorites, games I can't part with and occasionally play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Eric, I generally do not regret the games I have sold off. 50 years in the hobby and I have had nearly 800 wargames at one time or another. Down to 94 just now.

One exception was the old SPI game Battles for the Ardennes. Tried the Decision version and found it wanting, so I searched out and bought a copy of the old SPI game again. Interestingly, the one I got turned out to be the very one I had originally.

34 of the games I still have are SPI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
narodynot wrote:
Like Eric, I generally do not regret the games I have sold off. 50 years in the hobby and I have had nearly 800 wargames at one time or another. Down to 94 just now.

One exception was the old SPI game Battles for the Ardennes. Tried the Decision version and found it wanting, so I searched out and bought a copy of the old SPI game again. Interestingly, the one I got turned out to be the very one I had originally.

34 of the games I still have are SPI.

I still have most of my SPI/S&T games of the '70s, though I did donate a few S&T issues with games to an auction for Wounded Warriors. One of them was The Punic Wars (unpunched), and I wish now I had donated several other issues as a substitute, but I'm not looking to replace it.

In 1980, I traded my unplayed flatbox copy of World War 3 to a friend for a used copy of Drang Nach Osten!, which I never played, but I don't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not a problem. If I sell one and regret selling it later, I just buy it back! With some games I've done it more than once. Sometimes I make a little and sometimes I lose a little but it usually all comes out in the wash. Crazy, I know.

But now when I sell, and I've been selling a lot lately, I'm pretty sure there won't be any going back. Even fewer than 40 games is more than I can keep up with now at my age. And it looks like we will be moving sometime early next year. Downsizing, which means all that I own must also be downsized. I just hope I will have enough space to actually play anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
narodynot wrote:

How did you manage to know this for sure ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
narodynot wrote:

How did you manage to know this for sure ? :p

It was a punched and played copy even when I sold it. Had some markings on the box and in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saxon 357
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas...another SPI Game...War of the Ring (1977).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NORSEMAN -SimCan
MINUTEMAN -SPI
THIRD WORLD WAR -SPI
REPUBLIC OF ROME -AH
THE RUSSIAN CAMPAIGN -AH
KINGMKAKER -AH
TOKYO EXPRESS -VG
FREEDOM IN THE GALAXY- AH
FLATTOP -AH
AIR WAR -SPI(Mainly for the masochism)
SUBMARINE -AH

I also regret getting rid of dozens of miniature rules suah as- CHAINMAIL, NAPOLEONIQUE and BANZAI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
I sold my Advanced Squad Leader collection twice over the years, it cost me more each time to get it back. Now I have more than I will ever play but I will never sell it again. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GDW's Citadel. 2 map mini monster, super cool take on Dien Bien Phu from Frank Chadwick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sold them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my Advanced Squad Leader collection back ~2000 and then started rebuying everything...so now I'm a hoarder and don't like to sell things if I don't have doubles or REALLY won't buy a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've never sold a game, but I've given away a few as presents. Several years ago I managed to buy a few copies of Plague & Pestilence for a cheap price with the intention of using them as presents for my friends. Those games are now worth quite a bit of money. (Oh well, better to give than to receive as they say. Plus they went to some good homes!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic of the Peloponnesian War. I came to believe I would never play it and let it go. Now I not only have a desire to play, but the possibility of a FTF opponent is out there. It was extra stupid to get rid of it because it was a gift.

(edit: linked to wrong game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I miss, although I don't actually regret selling them, was a complete set of the Metagaming Microgames series, complete with the micro quest series that went with Melee/Wizard, and the five games in the micro history series.

Now that I have the Ogre DE my need for any of those for nostalgia purposes has long been satisfied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I've really regretted selling off was the old Avalon Hill game:

Breakout: Normandy.

I have since re-acquired a new copy and I was very glad to have done so it's a very good game. By the way I had thought about getting the L2 version, but based on comments and reviews, it's one instance where I think old was better then new, just my view, I am sure others would disagree.

turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.