Subject: First play and questions after rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a learning game with the wife just now and a question popped up.
Can you shoot with a ranged attack against an enemy adjacent to you?
Do you have to melee them if you don't try to break away?

Also one rule we left out by accident was collecting loot after each attack, how is this done?

Playing the dungeon crawl part was pretty straightforward other than that, but when it came to the travel and town phases we were completely overwhelmed and uncertain what to do?
Can you give some suggestions for what is typically done? (Don't have the Frontier Towns expansion yet, just playing with base town rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Cromwell
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may shoot adjacent figures. You do not need to use combat. Always remember you have to target adjacent enemies first if there are any.

For loot you each take a random loot card for every card that adds enemies to the fight up to a maximum of three. Take the rewards shown then shuffle the cards back into the loot deck for the next fight. Don't forget to take 20 Xp for each loot card also!

For town, you first roll for travel hazards on the way there, then at town you decide for each hero if they will pay to stay in the hotel or stay in the camp and risk an event roll. After that each hero decides what location they will visit on the first day and then roll on the event charts for those locations. You may buy, sell and do any actions at these locations any number of times unless restricted on the chart. When everyone has finished what they want to do at their location you roll a D6 for a town event. If the roll is equal to or lower than the day on the day tracker you roll on the town event chart, resolve the event and reset the day tracker to 1. Then you repeat the whole process if you want to stay another day and move the marker to the next number making it more likely a town event will happen at the end of that day.

***multiple edits due to horrible typing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thanks for the quick reply!

Also what is the strategy of town, ie sell off some darkstone for money, then use that money at other locations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only can you make ranged attacks against adjacent enemies, if there is an enemy adjacent to you, you can't allocate hits against non-adjacent enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
Also what is the strategy of town, ie sell off some darkstone for money, then use that money at other locations?

Not sure if it counts as a "strategy", but here are some popular things to do in town:

--Go to the doctor for surgery to heal mutations or injuries. (Make sure you have grit for this, as the doctor can cause permanent damage on a bad roll.) Maybe consider buying a specimen jar while you're here. Also see if you need any bandages. Get an anti-venom injection (they're cheap).

--Go to the saloon first if you need the grit. You can also gamble there to make a few extra dollars. Buy whiskey for the road if needed.

--Go to Blacksmith to get darkstone upgrades on your weapons. This is usually the biggest thing for me, and the closest thing to a "strategy". (I never sell darkstone because the upgrades are just so good.) If you don't have enough darkstone, you can either skip this one or just go to buy darkstone bullets.

--Go to the outpost to get a bounty for your next adventure. This helps with cash influx. Rob the bank if you're an Outlaw. (You probably want grit for this too.)

One thing I like to do is write down Town Items that I'm saving money for. I play a lot of different characters, and I can't usually remember what my plans were from one town visit to the next. So, whenever I see something that looks cool in Town, I write it down on the character sheet so I remember not to let that hero spend money on other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another uncertainty came up.

On your turn you can move and attack, and am I right saying if you dont attack you can search (scavenge or look through the door).
But what about using items like bandages, or trading items like gear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Cromwell
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a long time since reading this rule in the rule book and I know the Hills have clarified this in a FAQ or a post somewhere. Tokens can be used almost anytime, just not during the process of taking hits and damage but you must be on the same tile or adjacent if there are enemies. Trading is similar in timing, must be on the same tile if there are no enemies and adjacent to each other if there are enemies. The text or effect of an item may only be used once per turn.

They are a free action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
squallgoku wrote:
On your turn you can move and attack, and am I right saying if you dont attack you can search (scavenge or look through the door).

Nearly right...
If there are no enemies at all you may search (scavenge or look).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
RobKeet wrote:
squallgoku wrote:

Nearly right...
If there are no enemies at all you may search (scavenge or look).

And if there isn't an unrevealed Exploration Token, it's easy to forget this rule.

Rulebook wrote:
A Hero may not Scavenge a Map Tile with an unrevealed Exploration Token on it and you may only Scavenge one Map Tile per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.