Hide
15 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: This game is sorta like the relaxing chill-out version of KDM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viper .
msg tools
I've come to the conclusion that this game is sorta like a simplified chill-out version of KDM. And I like that. I like KDM a lot too for when I wanna focus on a more complex game. IMO, both games have their pros and cons.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Shadow of Brimstone is a lighter version of KDM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's sort of what I was hoping for. KDM often felt like too much work to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darius Blackwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have DS backed but KDM looks soooo nice ... and I could KS it but is it good solitaire experience ?

I also think things are easier to add to DS (less cards and stuff) then to KDM but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually wondering what kind of involvement the player had in KD:M. From what I saw, the player throws a dice to see if he can draw a card that lets him throw a dice that maybe lets him draw a card.

Does the player make any meaningful decision at all aside from the settlement phase? Hitting is random, where you hit is random, whether you strike or not is random, and the resource you gain from striking is random so... What does the player actually do in KD:M?

Hope Dark Souls allows more decision-making :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that this game is sorta like a simplified chill-out version of KDM.

If Demon's Souls had boss fights in it, this doesn't mean that every miniature game with boss fights is relatable.

Dark Souls: The Board Game is a simple cooperative dungeon crawler with no particular plot. Players enter a room, fight dumb grunts, recover, enter another room... And after certain amount of rooms, they fight repetitive boss with large amount of hit points and few stages to overcome.

In Kingdom Death: Monster players cooperatively manage a settlement over many sessions and occasionally go directly into a fight with a boss. But, since the whole fight is for resources, if players failed the hunt, they still can recruit new characters and move on with a game. While DS Board Game forces players to ram their head into same room until everyone is lucky enough with dice to pass it.

It's more appropriate to say that The Banner Saga: Warbands is a simplified chill-out version of KDM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seryjniak wrote:
I have DS backed but KDM looks soooo nice ... and I could KS it but is it good solitaire experience ?

I also think things are easier to add to DS (less cards and stuff) then to KDM but I could be wrong.

KDM is perfect for solitaire. You can also play more strategically since you aren't arguing over who gets the awesome gear and can place it on the most useful survivor.

Razoupaf wrote:
I was actually wondering what kind of involvement the player had in KD:M. From what I saw, the player throws a dice to see if he can draw a card that lets him throw a dice that maybe lets him draw a card.

Does the player make any meaningful decision at all aside from the settlement phase? Hitting is random, where you hit is random, whether you strike or not is random, and the resource you gain from striking is random so... What does the player actually do in KD:M?

There is a lot of random in KDM, which if you hate any randomness, do not get it, but there are a TON of choices to be made in the showdown phase, which is when you fight the monsters. Where you go, where other survivors go, what order you attempt to damage the hit locations you've drawn, the gear you want to use, how you spend your Survival (kind of like energy or mana in other games, its a limited resource that certain things will give you). Once you've learned the monster's moves, you can start to try and manipulate it, which might help, or it could result in a total party wipe if it does something unexpected.

So everything leading up to the throwing of the dice to see if you can draw a card (that would be the hit location card) has a meaningful decision, then choosing the order of the drawn cards to strike can be a very important decision before you throw more dice that might let you hurt the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silencewalker wrote:
Viper5121 wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that this game is sorta like a simplified chill-out version of KDM.

If Demon's Souls had boss fights in it, this doesn't mean that every miniature game with boss fights is relatable.

Dark Souls: The Board Game is a simple cooperative dungeon crawler with no particular plot. Players enter a room, fight dumb grunts, recover, enter another room... And after certain amount of rooms, they fight repetitive boss with large amount of hit points and few stages to overcome.

In Kingdom Death: Monster players cooperatively manage a settlement over many sessions and occasionally go directly into a fight with a boss. But, since the whole fight is for resources, if players failed the hunt, they still can recruit new characters and move on with a game. While DS Board Game forces players to ram their head into same room until everyone is lucky enough with dice to pass it.

It's more appropriate to say that The Banner Saga: Warbands is a simplified chill-out version of KDM.

Yea I was thinking this too. There really are not that many similarities between KDM and DS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the world of video game culture more and more games are being described as 'the Dark Souls of...' with even Thumper being described by one critic as 'the Dark Souls of rhythm action games'.

So it is amusing to me that, the world of boardgame culture Dark Souls is being described as 'the Kingdom Death of...' laugh

If Dark Souls had even half of the ideas present in Kingdom Death, you can count me happy. Based on current evidence this seems unlikely.

We can but hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
In the world of video game culture more and more games are being described as 'the Dark Souls of...' with even Thumper being described by one critic as 'the Dark Souls of rhythm action games'.

So it is amusing to me that, the world of boardgame culture Dark Souls is being described as 'the Kingdom Death of...' laugh

If Dark Souls had even half of the ideas present in Kingdom Death, you can count me happy. Based on current evidence this seems unlikely.

We can but hope.

They did the same in Metal Music with the "...'s Black Album". Urgh. That's so annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:

We can but hope.

I guess you could say KDM is the Dark Souls of board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alie Alexandross
msg tools
mb
Razoupaf wrote:

You have a few resourse cards after successful hunt and it's all up to you how to spend them:
crafting better weapons will raise your targeting and hitting chances, innovations open new builings and abilities.
Maybe you will spend everything on bone weapons, hunt few lions and loose all your characters during first battle against nemesis (the Butcher).
Maybe you'll keep a rare lion resouse untill you'll be able to craft an awesome necklate, but die in next hunt only because you were unprepared.
Maybe you'll innovatite and once more die unprepared... or not, and loose almost everyone during settlement event.

Resourse management in KD:M is critical. And the showdown phase, as your gameplay improves, will become more tactical and much less dice depended. For example, already in early game you can learn a few monster deck manipulating skills.

But in general, KD:M is about a story and settlement management, less about characters (still, it hurts to loose one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vincentdante wrote:
CardboardAnt wrote:

We can but hope.

I guess you could say KDM is the Dark Souls of board games

Dunno why I remembered this post 2 months later but this video reminded me and made me laugh, so I shall share the joy.

https://youtu.be/f3d1nvKeTnU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

There are tons of decisions to be made in KD:M. Far more than in DS. And the decisions made will have an impact that will last for many, many game sessions. Beyond the settlement phase (which is sill of you to discount since it's easily 50% of the game, perhaps more in terms of importance), there is item management during combat, resource management, and hero management. Positioning on the battle field is super important, as are the moment to moment tactics the party has to develop to stay alive. The monster AI decks create some of the most dynamic and kinetic battles found on a table top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.