Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the original Squad Leader idea of personal leaders who progress across a number of linked games. However, I did not really like the precise way that an article in C3i tried to port this across to Combat Commander, and I thought I would have my own go. This will work with CC Europe and CC Pacific, as well as Resistance scenarios. Partisan Leaders have a somewhat problematic range of values, which perhaps strains the concept of a progressive rank table, but I have attempted to fit them in. The only thing not accounted for is points for attacking the AFVs from the Blitzkrieg pack. I need to ponder that one some more. The Rank lists and Merit/Demerit lists were formatted as tables, which have not transferred here I am afraid.

Personal Leaders
If playing a campaign series of games each player may have a Personal Leader who appears in each scenario of the campaign. He is promoted or demoted according to his achievements in action.
A player starts with a PL at the lowest level on the Rank Table, with 2 net Merit points.
A PL is promoted to the next level up if he ends a scenario with 10 or more net Merit points. Subtract 10 from his Merit Points and promote him. A PL is demoted to the next level down if he ends a scenario with 10 or more net Demerit Points. Subtract 10 from his Demerit Points and demote him. A PL can never be promoted or demoted more than one level at the end of a scenario.
If you want a more realistic rate of progress, or are playing a long campaign, then promote on 15 merit or more (and then deduct 15), while still demoting on 10 demerit or more.
A PL cannot be promoted above the highest level on the Rank Table. A PL that is demoted below the lowest level on the Rank Table is removed from play and is not replaced by a new PL.
A player must add his PL to the Order of Battle of each scenario. If the PL has values placing him at a higher level (in terms of levels on the Rank Table) than all of the normal Leaders of his side in the scenario, then the player must choose any one of the existing Leaders in his OOB to be removed from the scenario and be replaced by the PL. He gains 2 Victory Points at the start of that scenario for doing this. Unless he replaces a leader in this way, the PL can be placed in the deployment area of any of his units that start on the map, with any existing stacks of reinforcements on the Time Track, or in a scenario-permitted space in an Infiltration box.
A PL starts a scenario with any net Merit or Demerit points left over from previous scenarios. During a scenario the PL gains Merit and Demerit points according to his actions. At the end of each scenario the difference between his Demerit and Merit points is used to calculate a new net total of Merit or Demerit.
A PL that gains Veteran status keeps it in further scenarios, unless demoted.
A PL is assumed to be killed or captured if eliminated in the following circumstances:
• Eliminated by the following Events: Air Support, KIA, Commissar, Prisoners of War, White Phosphorus.
• Eliminated by being forced to retreat into an enemy-occupied hex or impassable hex, or across a Cliff.
• Eliminated in Ambush/Melee
• Eliminated by Mines
• Eliminated by Sniper
• Eliminated by Double Attack Total
If a PL is killed or captured the player receives a new PL at the start of the next scenario. The PL will be at the lowest level on the Rank Table, with 2 net Merit points.
However, if a PL returns later in the scenario as Walking Wounded then he was not actually killed or captured; he was only wounded, or he escaped, and he must continue in the campaign.
A PL eliminated in other circumstances is assumed neither killed nor captured (assume he ran away or hid), and must continue in the campaign.
The Japanese are treated differently. They are assumed killed if eliminated in all circumstances. This reflects the fact that the low Morale number on a Japanese broken unit represents their tendency to leave cover and charge forward if pinned down rather than run away, and their unwillingness to be captured (as well as the reluctance of their opponents to take them prisoner).
“Commands” means that the PL is the highest level leader that is in a position to apply his command number modifier (even if that modifier is 0).
If a PL exits the map and generates a reinforcement, then the reinforcement leader does not represent the PL himself.

RANK (Europe) FRONT BACK
L1. Corporal 1-1-6 6/1 0-0-1 7/0
L2. Corporal 1-1-6 7/1 0-0-1 8/0
L3. Sergeant 1-1-6 8/1 0-0-1 9/0
L4. Sergeant 2-1-6 8/2 1-0-1 9/0
L5. Lieutenant 1-1-6 9/1 0-0-1 10/0
L6. Lieutenant 2-1-6 9/2 1-0-1 10/0
L7. Captain 2-1-6 10/2 1-0-1 11/0

RANK (Pacific) FRONT BACK
L1. Corporal 1-1-6 6/1 0-0-2 7/0
L2. Corporal 1-1-6 7/1 0-0-2 8/0
L3. Sergeant 1-1-6 8/1 0-0-2 9/0
L4. Sergeant 2-1-6 8/2 1-0-2 9/0
L5. Lieutenant 1-1-6 9/1 0-0-2 10/0
L6. Lieutenant 2-1-6 9/2 1-0-2 10/0
L7. Captain 2-1-6 10/2 1-0-2 11/0

RANK (Japanese) FRONT BACK
L1. Sergeant [1]-1-6 9/1 [0]-0-3 6/0
L2. Sergeant [1]-1-6 10/1 [0]-0-3 7/0
L3. Sergeant [1]-1-6 11/1 [0]-0-3 8/0
L4. Lieutenant [2]-1-6 9/2 [1]-1-3 6/1
L5. Lieutenant [2]-1-6 10/2 [1]-1-3 7/1
L6. Lieutenant [2]-1-6 11/2 [1]-1-3 8/1
L7. Captain [2]-1-6 12/2 [1]-1-3 9/1
L8. Captain [3]-1-6 11/3 [2]-1-3 8/2

Partisan FRONT BACK
Level 1 [1]-2-(5) 9/0L [0]-1-(2) 8/0
Level 2 [1]-3-(5) 10/0L [0]-1-(2) 7/0
Level 3 [1]-4-(5) 11/0L [0]-2-(2) 6/0
Level 4 [1]-4-(5) 8/1L [0]-2-(2) 9/0
Level 5 [1]-4-[6] 9/1L [0]-2-3 8/0
Level 6 [1]-5-[6] 10/1L [0]-2-3 7/0
Level 7 [1]-6-[6] 11/1L [0]-3-3 6/0

DEMERIT POINTS (all except Japanese)
Goes from Unbroken to Broken 2
Retreats without being eliminated 2
Eliminated by Air Support, KIA, White Phosphorus, Ambush, Melee, Double Attack Total, Mines or Sniper 0 (killed or captured)
Eliminated in other circumstances 6 (ran or hid)
Commands a unit that is eliminated by Air Support, KIA, White Phosphorus, Ambush, Melee, Double Attack Total, Mines or Sniper 0
Commands a unit that is eliminated in other circumstances, or which Retreats 1

DEMERIT POINTS (Japanese)
Goes from Unbroken to Broken 3
Eliminated 0 (killed)
Exits a Melee hex 2
Commands a unit that goes from Unbroken to Broken 1

MERIT POINTS (all except Japanese)
Rallies 1
Commands a unit that Rallies 1
Becomes Veteran 2
Commands a unit that becomes Veteran 1
Returns from elimination as Walking Wounded 2
Activates a Move or Advance that captures an empty Objective 1
Commands in the successful capture of an Objective by Melee Objective VPs (but get at least 1 MP)
Commands in the successful defence of an Objective by Melee Objective VPs (but get at least 1 MP)
Commands in a Melee or Fire Attack that eliminates a Unit VPs of unit
Activates a Move or Advance that exits off the enemy board edge VPs of each unit
Part of the winning side in a scenario 3
Part of the defeated side in a scenario 2
Part of a side that started with the Initiative and never passed it to the other side 1

MERIT POINTS (Japanese)
Rallies 2
Commands a unit that Rallies 1
Becomes Veteran 2
Commands a unit that becomes Veteran 1
Returns from elimination as Walking Wounded 3
Activates a Move or Advance that captures an empty Objective 1
Commands in the successful capture of an Objective by Melee Objective VPs (but get at least 1 MP)
Commands in the successful defence of an Objective by Melee Objective VPs (but get at least 1 MP)
Commands in a Melee or Fire Attack that eliminates a Unit VPs of unit
Activates a Move or Advance that exits off the enemy board edge VPs of each unit
Part of the winning side in a scenario 3
Part of the defeated side in a scenario 1
Part of a side that started with the Initiative and never passed it to the other side 1
Part of a side that was in Banzai posture during the scenario 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have playtested this by the way! In my own Kokoda Track campaign which you will find elsewhere on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*yawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the asterix stand for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post. It is a bit more involved than what I have time for at the moment, but I am sure this will prove usefult at some point.

I certainly like the idea of have a personal leader so that it all becomes a bit more "personal". You will always be nervous when risking him, but on the other hand you can not win if you do not use your best leader.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.